RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lift kit and offroad package for RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 04:42 PM
prakesh424
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lift kit and offroad package for RX350?

Can anyone recommend a good lift kit for RX350? I'm looking for at least 36" lift and 30" wheels. I want to do this because no one else I know has got the ***** to do it hehehehe!
The following users liked this post:
HNAmin (11-20-20)
Old 07-30-08, 02:08 PM
Chris_H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I don't think people buy cross-overs to go offroading. These are basically camry wagons. If you can find a lift kit for a camry then you are in luck.
Old 07-30-08, 02:19 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I like that attitude!

Go with really wide tires--so it does not tip over!
Old 07-30-08, 02:20 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Nope. don't know of any.

I will suggest that most off-roaders have vehicles with frames. I seriously doubt that the RX will stand anything close to off road. That said, anything is possible with enough money. Look at Orange Counter Choppers - they make beautiful machines from flat sheet metal! Go for it - just don't expect much from it.
Old 07-30-08, 02:31 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like a waste of money. you should have gotten a land cruiser or lx.
The following users liked this post:
Felix (02-08-20)
Old 07-30-08, 05:04 PM
Boognish
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! They are available at your local used Ford lot via trade in.

Seriously, though, what's the point of lifting a vehicle that high other than off-raod. And to off road you need a body on frame vehicle, ie. a real truck which an RX is not.
Old 07-31-08, 06:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Or at the very least sub-frame connectors,and lots of suspension mods. I would just pick up a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee.Lot`s of parts all ready available for them re;that sort of thing. I know,you want to off road in style/luxury right? Who know`s,if you pull it off,maybe you might start something here. .....
Old 07-31-08, 07:07 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sinc ethe rx is on a camry platform, you'll never find what you want. to lift a truck you need taller springs. ok. since you have struts all the way around, you'd have to find or have made, taller springs, not that hard to do. then the problem is that you'd need struts with a longer stroke. that's the hard part.
you'll also run into the problem of your cv axles being angled more than intended which puts the joints in a bind, which causes them to fail prematurely.
if i were you, and wanted that off road look, which i completely understand and appreciate, get the smallest wheels you can find that will fit over the brakes with a little less offset than stock. i bet a 30" tall tire would fit which you can get in a nice aggressive off road tread pattern once you get some smaller wheels on there.
Old 07-31-08, 08:34 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

One Post Wonder...

Let it drop or lock it down.
Old 08-01-08, 11:37 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, the kid can dream, can't he? How about something like this?

You could pull the engine and running gear and graft the body onto a shortened 3/4-ton domestic pickup chassis that would give you several desirable opportunities all at once. First, a big-block motor that could adapt a set of headers, cam, intake, valves and springs, topped off with a GM 671 blower. Second, a pair of solid axles that could be easily adapted to mount a serious lift kit, 4-wheel steer, 30" rims and some monster rubber.

All up costs should be just short of $150 large, plus the donor RX, but you'd be the envy of your high school parking lot.
Old 08-18-13, 11:49 AM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 19psi
sinc ethe rx is on a camry platform, you'll never find what you want. to lift a truck you need taller springs. ok. since you have struts all the way around, you'd have to find or have made, taller springs, not that hard to do. then the problem is that you'd need struts with a longer stroke. that's the hard part.
you'll also run into the problem of your cv axles being angled more than intended which puts the joints in a bind, which causes them to fail prematurely.
if i were you, and wanted that off road look, which i completely understand and appreciate, get the smallest wheels you can find that will fit over the brakes with a little less offset than stock. i bet a 30" tall tire would fit which you can get in a nice aggressive off road tread pattern once you get some smaller wheels on there.
so you're telling me it is impossible to lift a Camry? Highlanders have never been lifted? Youre telling me Toyota tuners and JDM folks cannot handle this project? Only MoPar gear heads are up for the challenge?
Old 08-19-13, 08:31 AM
Vinny18
Driver School Candidate

There are lift kits for Camry, my Ex's brother, had a Camry with 22's and lift'd... personally I thought it look ridiculous and ghetto. But it was his thing. He was from Oakland and there's a lot of cars with lift kits to put big ugly rims
Old 08-20-13, 07:02 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have always thought that the RX300s would look kinda sweet riding on 33" super swampers. As for the 350, I think I'll keep it stock and reserve my 82 Chevy truck for off roadin.
Old 06-12-18, 10:42 AM
HewittTech
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Ran across this thinking ahead to my next "Lexter" build. I picked up a 2000 RX AWD that had not been maintained for 180k miles and rehabbed it for my wife. After an errant guys weekend and getting it stuck I inherited it and it needed a sex change, Lexter was born. I blew out the highway tires so why not go big, 2 sizes bigger than stock actually. Custom spring lift, wheel spacers, reman. rack cv shafts subframe mounts, control arms..etc. etc. and it works!
These vehicles are a lot tougher than anyone would normally try and figure out. No it is not a real 4x4, No I would not buy one new and do this to it but for me it is an EXTREMELY practical vehicle.
I tow a boat with it, take it camping and run it down gravel and dirt roads at high speeds. The only performance upgrade that is absolutely required is better brakes. Drilled and slotted fronts with Yellowstuff pads and braided stainless lines took care of that with plenty of brakes left over. A K&N filter with pre-filter just because paying $20 for a paper filter is rediculous every other oil change. I get compliments on it when I am out and beat the crap out of it every chance I get. I have about $3k in it in total and the thing runs like a scalded dog. I would 100% absolutely buy a new RX if it came in this sort of package but only after it took depreciation. Perfect size for a capable off road vehicle and aside from a few scratches the paint still shines when washed and you have heated seats in the winter!
As for the Nay Sayers... do something different and just because it doesn't make sense to you or the way you drive your vehicle it might to someone else. I love the way I have my Lexter setup!

Forgot to add a link. You can find more info about my build and another rx300 build on this thread:
2 Lifted RX300 with big tires!
Who knows it could be a thing as more people discover how awesome they are. A perfect niche.
The following 2 users liked this post by HewittTech:
HNAmin (11-20-20), pushtree (05-25-21)
Old 02-08-20, 10:45 AM
Broc
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Agreed. Many of us who have been in the off-road community for a few decades would like to travel in comfort and style between trail heads and have a really nice ride on dirt roads

Quick Reply: Lift kit and offroad package for RX350?