RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Smells like rotten eggs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 09:32 AM
mojosato
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smells like rotten eggs!

Hello!
My wife drives a 2004 RX 330 with about 44,500 miles. The other day she mentioned that while driving, she could smell an odor that was similar to rotten eggs! We live in Wisconsin and it has been very hot latley and I know that my wife uses the AC on full blast. (this is the only thing I can think of that is causing this smell-AC) I did a quick test drive to see if I could make it happen again. The only problem is that I drove it around the neighborhood going 35mpr vs. 70-75mpr that she drives on the interstate daily. I couldn't make to smell happen while on my test drive. I've checked all the fluids and everything is at its required level. Has this happened to anyone else? Please let me know why this happened! Thanks! - Mojosato
Old 08-05-08, 09:41 AM
Boognish
Driver

I've owned a few cars which would give off a sulfur odor from the catalytic converter under heavy load - like pulling a mountain grade. However, I've not owned a vehicle which has done that for a very long time. What kind of gas are you using? I suppose it's possible you've got some high sulfur stuff running through the engine which is building up in the cat, but it's just a guess.

In my experience, stinky smells from the AC tend to be mildew in nature, not rotten eggs.
Old 08-05-08, 09:55 AM
GTEgs300
Rookie

rotten egg smell = battery going bad or is bad, replace it asap if so (before it explodes)
Old 08-05-08, 10:10 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There is a TSB for the sulfur odor problem for the RX, I am not sure if it applies to your car. When you rev your engine high, you can smell it.
Old 08-05-08, 11:17 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
There is a TSB for the sulfur odor problem for the RX, I am not sure if it applies to your car. When you rev your engine high, you can smell it.
Check this out:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 08-05-08, 12:06 PM
mojosato
Driver School Candidate

Default Smells like rotten eggs!

Thanks to all that have responded to my question! - Mojosato
Old 08-05-08, 05:11 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Try changing brands of gasoline as well. It's coming from your exhaust...

Craig
Old 08-05-08, 06:17 PM
Boognish
Driver

Originally Posted by Boognish
I've owned a few cars which would give off a sulfur odor from the catalytic converter under heavy load - like pulling a mountain grade. However, I've not owned a vehicle which has done that for a very long time. What kind of gas are you using? I suppose it's possible you've got some high sulfur stuff running through the engine which is building up in the cat, but it's just a guess.

In my experience, stinky smells from the AC tend to be mildew in nature, not rotten eggs.
Originally Posted by jlawr
Check this out:
I guessed right!
Old 08-05-08, 07:11 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTEgs300
rotten egg smell = battery going bad or is bad, replace it asap if so (before it explodes)
I couldn't disagree with you more than with this statement. Correct me if I am wrong but the rotten eggs smell is sulfur dioxide which is what is emitted from the catalytic converter. When a battery starts to fail, overcharge or whatever, it gives off hydrogen gas which is essentially odorless. This hydrogen combines with water vapor to form hydrocloric acid which doesn't smell like rotten eggs.

I have always associated the rotten egg smell with the catalytic converters and some are worse than others. The fact that there is a TSB on this says volumes. I would take the car in to the dealer, or any competent repair shop and have them do a "sniff test" of the exhaust checking for excess unburned hyrdocarbons to see if your cat is failing. A failing cat can cause this, in my experience.

Gary
Old 08-05-08, 07:58 PM
gqr1c3boi
Driver

If it's coming from the AC vents, then i'd guess it'd be mildew/mold building up inside the ac system. From what i've heard, condensation can build up inside the system and eventually mold/mildew up. Just a guess.
Old 08-05-08, 09:29 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Take it in for a check. But be sure about the odor. You will have to show evidence with your advisor. Try it!
Old 08-06-08, 02:21 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
I couldn't disagree with you more than with this statement. Correct me if I am wrong but the rotten eggs smell is sulfur dioxide which is what is emitted from the catalytic converter. When a battery starts to fail, overcharge or whatever, it gives off hydrogen gas which is essentially odorless. This hydrogen combines with water vapor to form hydrocloric acid which doesn't smell like rotten eggs.

I have always associated the rotten egg smell with the catalytic converters and some are worse than others. The fact that there is a TSB on this says volumes. I would take the car in to the dealer, or any competent repair shop and have them do a "sniff test" of the exhaust checking for excess unburned hyrdocarbons to see if your cat is failing. A failing cat can cause this, in my experience.

Gary

Under NORMAL operation, batteries give off odorless hydrogen and oxygen gasses.

Under abnormal condition, the battery heats up when charging, and the sulfuric acid/water solution bubbles up and either goes out of the top fill holes, or in the case of a "sealed" battery, vents thru the vent valve. It does have a smell, but not a strong rotten eggs smell. The top of the battery will have a "greasy" feel (the sulfuric acid residue).
Old 08-06-08, 05:24 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The classic "rotten egg" smell is hydrogen sulfide (H2S) that is formed in a saturated cat converter. While deadly at high concentrations of 200 ppm, its odor is detectable at only a few ppm where it is not dangerous, but can be unpleasant.

It should not be entering the cabin, but its most likely entry is through the seal around the liftgate. You can check this seal by opening the liftgate and placing a dollar bill across the seal and closing it. You should be able to pull the bill out of the seal, but you should feel a considerable amount of drag on it. Repeat every 6" or so around the 'gate. If it pulls free to easily, your rubber seal may be bad or the liftgate not fully closing.

Because there are more dangerous components of your exhaust like carbon monoxide (CO), that could be dangerous to occupants of a closed car (particularly with the AC set to "recirculate", as on a hot day) you might have your dealer check this problem out - especially since the cat converter swap as noted is in warranty.

For immediate relief, try poking the "recirculate" button on the AC off (green light out) to use the air handler to bring in outside air from the base of the windshield and slightly overpressure the cabin to keep outside air intrusion from elsewhere to a minimum.
Old 08-06-08, 06:09 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

In the "it works for me" category... I get that smell under moderate load if I try to burn cheap gas. When I use premium gas from a Top Tier Gasoline http://www.toptiergas.com supplier the odor goes away.
Old 08-10-08, 12:37 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use "cheap" gas and i've never gotten that smell before.

Quick Reply: Smells like rotten eggs!