RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Toyota Venza mini site

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 12:03 PM
row
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Venza mini site

I just thought there might be some interest in the new mini site for the Venza here.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minisite/venza/#

Optional 20 inch wheels?
Old 06-06-08, 12:08 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, wonder if this will be a basis for a new, smaller crossover from Lexus.
Old 06-06-08, 12:39 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

front end is ugly imo. side profile look similiar to ford edge. at least the rear still look like something toyota. from the sienna. i think those will be good competition for the new muranos.
Old 06-06-08, 10:15 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Orzel
Interesting, wonder if this will be a basis for a new, smaller crossover from Lexus.
It might be possible, but I don't really see a reason why Lexus would want to add a new smaller crossover addition to the family.
Old 06-07-08, 02:53 PM
grouch
Driver

At least IT's got dual exhaust tips.
Old 06-08-08, 11:36 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXveryG8
It might be possible, but I don't really see a reason why Lexus would want to add a new smaller crossover addition to the family.
Rumors have been going around that Lexus is going to add a smaller RAV4 based entry level SUV into the family. Its likely they're doing it to compete with what other manufacturers are doing: i.e. BMW X3, Infinity EX, Acura RDX, etc.

Come to think of it, the RX is getting up there in price and size and if people prefer to get into the Lexus badge w/o spending over 40K and also get a more fuel efficient SUV, its certainly a good idea to have an entry level to step up to.
Old 06-08-08, 03:21 PM
mihink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by grouch
At least IT's got dual exhaust tips.
+ 1 ..I wish my RX has dual tips....really would help differentiate from the Highlander/RAV4
Old 06-08-08, 04:56 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

how is there a market for the venza? what makes it different from the highlander? i cant see it. its just a highlander underneath with RX like styling. i think this is the wrong time for toyota to introduce a new SUV
Old 06-09-08, 11:28 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
how is there a market for the venza? what makes it different from the highlander? i cant see it. its just a highlander underneath with RX like styling. i think this is the wrong time for toyota to introduce a new SUV
Well, the Venza is a smaller vehicle and is offered with a 4 cylinder as opposed to the Highlander which only has a V6. As compared to the RAV4, the Venza is car-based and likely has a more comforting ride (just a guess - I haven't driven it).

I think the Venza will appeal to those folks who want a bigger car with more pratical cargo space in the back and w/o having to get a large SUV. Its essentially a Camry station wagon - remember those back in the 90's?

Just my guess, I could be dead wrong. But if I was looking for a all wheel drive Camry station wagon, the Venza would be a good start.

Last edited by 07LexusGuy; 06-09-08 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-09-08, 12:49 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

The front looks like a Subaru to me.
Old 06-09-08, 07:59 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

I personally think that the 2010 RX will be based on the Venza. It looks to be similar in size to the current RX. I don't think that they will increase the size towards the GX range.
Old 06-10-08, 03:03 PM
row
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you sickntired. But if the RX is based on the Venza which is based on the Highlander, why would Toyota need both the Venza and the Highlander?

At first I thought the Venza was just a disguised RX that Toyota used to gage reaction to the styling. I guess that's not the case since they now have a web site for the Venza.
Old 06-10-08, 03:33 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Well, the Highlander is much bigger now. I think that the Venza is taking the spot that the Highlander had before. I am not sure what Toyota is trying to do since they seem to have several large SUVs that overlap each other in size.
Old 06-10-08, 05:25 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I had an interesting discussion last week with someone who had been a "trainer" for Toyota and Lexus to teach sales teams how to sell hybrids. His feeling is that the new RX350 will indeed continue to be based on the Highlander so will grow much larger for the next version. The replacement for the RX400h may not be based on the same chassis (and may not carry the RX name) but on a smaller lighter chassis like the Venza. The current RX400h does not get real good highway mileage and if it stays on the Highlander chassis it will only get worse. This fairly well informed guy believed that the 2010 Lexus hybrid SUV would be based on the Venza which is much smaller and lighter than the Highlander. To get the highway mileage up, the ICE would be smaller, likely the engine from the IS250. The current RX400h has a good bit of torque steer so on the new one, there would be less electric assist to the front wheels and more from the rear.

Just one guy's informed guess, but if he were right and the styling was good, this would be my next Lexus.

Steve
Old 06-11-08, 05:14 AM
2010mRXsh
Driver School Candidate

Chassis: Venza~Avalon
Chassis: Highlander~RX

Price: RAV4 < Venza < Highlander

I don't think the RX is much larger for 2010. This was discussed in another thread.

I always thought the Venza was larger than the Highlander. But the pricing suggests otherwise.

But dimensions suggest they are almost identical. I'd say they're aiming at the good looking smaller SUV market. (So specific!) Smaller as in stays the same while others get bigger? Confused.

Quick Reply: Toyota Venza mini site