RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 Rx330 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-08, 07:21 AM
jeffyjeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Rx330 Transmission

I recently picked up 2nd hand '05 RX330 with 113,000 kms...and within 3 months - the transmission dropped causing a complete replacement. After being asked to cover the complete cost...and with some minor complaining...the Dealership (Heffner) stated that they and Lexus will pay for the tranny - but I have to pay for the labor. The warranty coverage is only up to 110,000 kms...so I called Lexus Canada myself and still got nowhere. I am now hearing more and more stories of problematic transmissions in these SUV's...but what is more surprising is the treatment from the dealership and Lexus Canada. Yes they are under no obligation to do anything let alone cover the cost for the tranny...but this is treatment I would expect from Ford or GM. I will cut my Lexus experience short and this will definitely be my last Toyota car...hello Infinity. Anyone else have ideas for assistance?
Old 05-01-08, 10:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Ask for the vehicle's maintenace history. If the past owner file the same complain about the tranny and the problem wasnt resolved by Lexus, I would think they are still on the hook to fix it even if the warranty expired.
Sometimes Lexus will do some warranty work even if the warranty had just expired, but its out of good will. A big item such as a tranny, I think you are lucky that they are willing to even paid half.
Try to file a claim after the warranty had expired at your Infinity dealer and see what kind of treatment you will get
Old 05-02-08, 06:29 AM
CarNutTO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me see if I have this correct.

You bought a high mileage used car that was already out of warranty coverage when you purchased it. I would assume that you got a good deal on it, otherwise you likely wouldn't have purchased it.

You drove it for another 3 months putting on additional mileage.

The transmission fails, the dealer and Lexus agree to cover the cost of parts, AND YOU'RE STILL COMPLAINING????
Old 05-02-08, 07:56 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Some people love to complain. I think Lexus is giving you a fair deal.
Was the tranny fluid ever changed? What is the maintenance history?

Reminds me of the guy who complained he did't get a free desert with his free steak.
Old 05-02-08, 09:45 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

How about IFF

You bought the vehicle brand new.
Went in for each prescribed maintenance +/-200 miles. and or +/-2months.
Took reasonable care of it .. .did not abuse, but did not baby it.
Your milage show close to 1.5x beyond base warranty.

Then all of a sudden your transmission fails.

How would you feel:
1) Will you be ok if you have to split the cost labor to you, parts to Lexus ($2200 out of your pocket)
2) Would you insist that Lexus pays all.
3) What if Lexus says it you have to pay for repairs.
4) Would you buy another Lexus.

Salim

Just in case .. you are wondering what I would I say ... I would be happy with 1. I would be unhappy with 3.
Old 05-02-08, 09:50 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. I would agree that Lexus appears to be treating you fairly. Given that the warranty has expired, when do you feel that Lexus would no longer be obligated to cover the complete cost beyond the warranty period? Warranty + 5k? Warranty + 10k? Warranty + 20k?
Old 05-02-08, 09:58 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

did you buy it from this dealership? if so, then i think its reasonable to pay labor, seeing as how i recall transmissions being beyond the thousand mark.

if you bought the car at a used car lot, then your walking away with the upperhand.

i hate to say it, but the warranty is a pretty much solid cut. lexus is already being generous because they are even willing to talk to you about paying for the transmission.

id really like to see this treatment at another car company
Old 05-02-08, 11:57 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
How about IFF

You bought the vehicle brand new.
Went in for each prescribed maintenance +/-200 miles. and or +/-2months.
Took reasonable care of it .. .did not abuse, but did not baby it.
Your milage show close to 1.5x beyond base warranty.

Then all of a sudden your transmission fails.

How would you feel:
1) Will you be ok if you have to split the cost labor to you, parts to Lexus ($2200 out of your pocket)
2) Would you insist that Lexus pays all.
3) What if Lexus says it you have to pay for repairs.
4) Would you buy another Lexus.

Salim

Just in case .. you are wondering what I would I say ... I would be happy with 1. I would be unhappy with 3.
I would expect #3 and would be OK with it, no cars are warrantied forever. If I got #1, I would be in heaven. I think no reasonable person would get pi$$ed if a manufacturer refuses to pay for anything outside the factory warranty. That''s precisely why the warraties have limits in years and in miles.
Old 05-02-08, 06:19 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffyjeff
I recently picked up 2nd hand '05 RX330 with 113,000 kms...and within 3 months - the transmission dropped causing a complete replacement. After being asked to cover the complete cost...and with some minor complaining...the Dealership (Heffner) stated that they and Lexus will pay for the tranny - but I have to pay for the labor. The warranty coverage is only up to 110,000 kms...so I called Lexus Canada myself and still got nowhere. I am now hearing more and more stories of problematic transmissions in these SUV's...but what is more surprising is the treatment from the dealership and Lexus Canada. Yes they are under no obligation to do anything let alone cover the cost for the tranny...but this is treatment I would expect from Ford or GM. I will cut my Lexus experience short and this will definitely be my last Toyota car...hello Infinity. Anyone else have ideas for assistance?

I agree with the others, Lexus is being very fair to pay for the parts.

As for people having problems, I don't think we have seen many RX330 failures at all ... the RX300 has a bit of a history, but not the RX330. That is one of the gambles you take when purchasing a used car, you generally have very little idea about the history, fluid changes, etc.

Personally, I think Ford or GM would have said, you are out of warranty, cha-ching.
Old 05-02-08, 09:34 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

agreed. very few people have needed their entire transmission replaced.

its just the hesitation problem on 330 models, but that is just a glitch in the system and all the cars had it.
Old 05-04-08, 06:18 AM
jeffyjeff
Driver School Candidate

Default Answers

Well...I finally got my car back and got the scoop on what happened. There was a seal that leaked transfer case fluid until it was bone dry. Unbenounced to me, driving with a dry transfer case ruined the worm gear to the point that there were only 2 teeth left on it. As soon as the transfer case went...the transmission then had to work 4 times as hard to turn the wheels...and with a relatively heavy vehicle - died 4 days later. Apparently this seal was leaking for only a short time, so even with regular and up to date maintenance, it would have gone unnoticed. In talks with the mechanic...he has seen this many times, although more so in the 300's - not in the 330's or 350's.

Thanks for the input...I was clearly upset when I started this thread. After a few days of cool down, and a few words of reason, I do believe I was treated more than fairly. Thanks.
Old 05-04-08, 08:26 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

good for you. not everybody can come back to reasonable once they dig in. hope you are happy with the car going forward.
Old 05-04-08, 09:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

The transfer case was a noted issue with the RX300s as well. I had that issue for quite a few years and fixed it with my uncle just before I left Mexico.