RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Can this be true? Cargo space?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 01:46 PM
Kerchak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can this be true? Cargo space?

I'm shopping for a new vehicle. I only have my wife and young daughter so I don't need to carry a lot of people usually (plus we have an Odyssey when we want lots of room and carrying possibilities.)

I do need to move some music equipment on occasion and have been considering 3 row vehicles like the new Pilot or the MDX. But they seem almost TOO big to me, especially since we have the Odyssey.

So, in looking at 2 row vehicles, and the cargo space with the second row folded down, I was surprised to find these numbers among the cars I am considering:

RX 350 - 84.7
Murano - 81.6
FX - 64.5
RDX - 60.6

I couldn't even find numbers for the EX wth seats folded down, but I knew it would be too small for my needs.

But compare that to the 3 row cars I'm considering (this is with both the 3rd and 2nd rows folded down):

Highlander - 95.4
Pilot (new) - 87.0
MDX - 83.5

I really liked my test drive of the RX350, and I was able to take it by my house to see if my equipment would fit (it would.) But I had no idea the storage capability is on par with some 3 row SUV's!

This car may be the ticket for me. It's certainly better looking than some of the cars I've listed. Now, do I wait until the new model comes out (or at least some definite information about it?) I would like a few technological gadgets found on slightly more up-to-date cars now, and I bet they're coming.
Old 04-30-08, 03:15 PM
salimshah

Received 1,006 Likes on 909 Posts

Volume numbers are only numbers. For objects you have to see the opening size and also how much flat surface you have.

Salim
Old 04-30-08, 05:02 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The RX350 and Highlander are basically the same car. The difference in cargo space is all from the more vertical hatch of the highlander vs the sportier "look" RX hatch. I can tell you that that sloping RX rear hatch IS a problem when you are trying to pack stuff in, like a big box item from best buy!

But if hauling big stuff is your thing, then go with the RX470!
Old 04-30-08, 05:40 PM
salimshah

Received 1,006 Likes on 909 Posts

GX or LX instead of RX?

Salim
Old 04-30-08, 07:51 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Get a Sequoia!
Old 04-30-08, 09:32 PM
Kerchak
Driver School Candidate

The thing is, I can just afford the RX. Going above that is not possible at this time. And the huge SUV's like a Sequoia... not interested. Our Odyssey meets our needs there.

No I'm interested in a smaller car, with "just enough" cargo capability for my occasional needs. So far the RX350 is looking good. I still want to see the Acura RDX and the Infiniti EX35, both of which are not available in my town. I fear they will be too small, and that I will like driving them a lot!

Last edited by Kerchak; 05-01-08 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-30-08, 10:04 PM
RXSF

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

well if you want to wait for the new RX, you can pretty much bet your money that it will be close to that new highlander, since they will probably both share the new camry platform.

however, the RX is going to stay a two row SUV so it will always be smaller than the highlander. We wont see the new RX until the January autoshow, and we wont see it in dealers until April of next year. this is all speculative of course, but its based on previous dates for the RX.

Keep in mind the new one will probably be more expensive, but of course it will have all the missing goodies. see if you can get a good deal on the RX first, and if its just "okay" and if you can wait, i would just wait for the new one
Old 04-30-08, 10:35 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two things to be aware of in the RX. This may also apply to other SUVs if they use a similar design though. Fist is the rear shock tower hump. It severely cramps the cargo area of the RX. You have to fit things between this hump if you need to fit it flat on the floor. You can't carry say a 4X8 sheet of plywood and lay it flat on the floor as the shock tower humps will be in the way. Also, the driver side (Left side) holds the linear actuator for the power hatch. Because of this is there is a hump on the roof to cover the actuator. This limits the height in that area. For example, I once carried my air compressor in the RX, but I could only fit it one way and not the other way because of this slightly lower roof line.
Old 05-03-08, 10:41 AM
ZIN
Driver

You need to find someone with an RX or see if you can take one home for awhile from the dealer and see if these items you are speaking about will fit.
PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED!!
Old 05-06-08, 12:28 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
There are two things to be aware of in the RX. This may also apply to other SUVs if they use a similar design though. Fist is the rear shock tower hump. It severely cramps the cargo area of the RX. You have to fit things between this hump if you need to fit it flat on the floor. You can't carry say a 4X8 sheet of plywood and lay it flat on the floor as the shock tower humps will be in the way. Also, the driver side (Left side) holds the linear actuator for the power hatch. Because of this is there is a hump on the roof to cover the actuator. This limits the height in that area. For example, I once carried my air compressor in the RX, but I could only fit it one way and not the other way because of this slightly lower roof line.
that has been the issues i have with the design of the rx330 as well. if im moving say some boxes it fits no problem. when its time to move somethint that is taller or a weird shape either the shock towers get in the way of the actuator cover, plus the sloping of the rear hatch doesnt help at time also. But, then again, thats why if i get another SUV when this one is done, it will defeinetely be a full size suv or truck.
Old 05-06-08, 12:55 PM
Kerchak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ZIN
You need to find someone with an RX or see if you can take one home for awhile from the dealer and see if these items you are speaking about will fit.
PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED!!
Earlier I had posted that that is exactly what I did. One of the nice things about working with the Lexus dealership (they also sold me my BMW) has been their willingness to just hand me some keys and expect me to bring the car back when I have answered any questions I have on a test drive. If I need another drive, fine, here are the keys! No pressure or annoying salesman along for the ride.

So I was able to drive it home and put the cases in that I need to haul around. They will fit, I am happy to say! I loaded and unloaded them very carefully so as not to mar the beautiful Pebble Beach Edition they had loaned me.

More cars to consider, and more questions to answer before I decide, but I really like the Lexus. In my opinion it is the best looking of all the cars I am considering.

AND... the only one that allows auto up/down for all four windows. On hot Texas summer days I have REALLY enjoyed that feature on my BMW.
Old 05-06-08, 02:15 PM
ZIN
Driver

Glad to hear your items will fit.
Nice to hear that Lexus has accommodated you in the way they should also.