RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Brakes damages rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 01:43 PM
fud
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes damages rotors?

Hi, I was told by my dealership that I need to replace the brakes because it pulse a little when braking at high speed. However, he said my brakes are very good (measurement = 6), he then proceed to tell me if I don't replace these "GOOD" brakes, it will damage my rotors? Is this true or is he trying to get be to drop money?

Why do I have to replace when its still good? So confused...someone please help! Pulsating only happens when I'm braking at high speeds, 80-90 mph. Car is at ~25k miles.
Old 04-18-08, 01:50 PM
Boognish
Driver

Don't drive 80-90 mph and the problem is solved!

Seriously, I'm not clear from your post as to what your dealer told you. It sounds like you have a little brake pad material deposited on your brake rotors, both of which are merely two components of your brake system. You could have the rotors turned to fix the problem or live with it until it gets worse.
Old 04-18-08, 04:19 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I know exactly what Boognish is describing. I saw this extensively at high altitude in Mexico and especially with heat, but have no issues now that I am at sea level. Brake pad material won't damage your rotors as the dealer describes. Only if the pads themselves are so worn down that it is metal against metal. If you don't feel pulsating when rapidly braking from about 40 mph, don't panic about this at all.
Old 04-21-08, 07:52 AM
fud
Rookie

thanks guys...you answered my question if warped brakes will damage rotors. But I guess not. Thanks again!
Old 04-26-08, 01:34 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fud
thanks guys...you answered my question if warped brakes will damage rotors. But I guess not. Thanks again!
In my experience, there is no such thing as warped brakes. Warped rotors, yes, but not brakes. If, by brakes, you mean calipers or pads, then no! You really need to clarify with the dealer so that you are both thinking the same thing. I would venture a guess that you misunderstand him since I can't imagine a dealer suggesting warped calipers.

What happens is that, as rotors wear, they can warp. Warped rotors manifest themselves by pulsing, usually at higher speeds. If you don't have pulsing at lower speeds, then I wouldn't worry about it. In addition, if you go with hard pads, they can wear the rotors prematurely. I would go with OEM, or equivalent, pads.

Gary
Old 04-26-08, 04:55 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

THeoretically a brakepad can warp. I have not heard of it, but I could envision a case where there are manufacturing stresses in the metal backer/pad that get relieved after some miles, and then the sandwich warps. With the resulting uneven contact, you could get pulsing at certain speeds, but not at others.

It is common for the pads to flop around a little too (they make an adhesive spray to stop this), which might be what the dealer is talking about.

Brake pads are cheap insurance, so why not replace them with some nice new OEMs? I can just imagine what a new set of RX rotors would cost!!