RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Bad Luck

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-08, 09:17 AM
leonrx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Luck

Hi everyone, Iam new to this forum. I purchased a new 2008 RX350 about 6 weeks ago and Iam having some bad luck. I traded 2007 BMW X3 for the Leuxs becuase I had some real bad luck with it, (main computer, transmission,power streering and front drive joint, with a little over 11,000 miles. Well the bad luck followed me, I guess. My RX has about 800 miles on it and it has been back to the dealer 3 times. The nav screen was replaced and I have a noise under the dash when I step on the brakes, moving or not. The car also pulls to the right and the dash has some white powder on it. I clean it and it comes back in a day or two. Is this just continued bad luck or are other people having problems. Is Lexus quality dropping? Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-08, 09:31 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Yeah, it's your bad luck.

Why was your nav screen replaced?
Old 04-11-08, 09:49 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the white powder is from the airconditioning filter. try taking it out (via the glove box) and kinda hit it against the garbage can.
Old 04-11-08, 10:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

noise under the dash is the brake booster pump, thats normal if its not too loud. The car pulling to the right should a tire or tire alignment problem.
Old 04-11-08, 10:21 AM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by leonrx350
Hi everyone, Iam new to this forum. I purchased a new 2008 RX350 about 6 weeks ago and Iam having some bad luck. I traded 2007 BMW X3 for the Leuxs becuase I had some real bad luck with it, (main computer, transmission,power streering and front drive joint, with a little over 11,000 miles. Well the bad luck followed me, I guess. My RX has about 800 miles on it and it has been back to the dealer 3 times. The nav screen was replaced and I have a noise under the dash when I step on the brakes, moving or not. The car also pulls to the right and the dash has some white powder on it. I clean it and it comes back in a day or two. Is this just continued bad luck or are other people having problems. Is Lexus quality dropping? Any comments would be appreciated.
Welcome to the club, there are known TSB's for dash rattle/Vehicle pulling to one side which are well documented problems. Please send me a private message, I can send the documents.

As far as the white dash powder there were some instance reported on club lexus & it was long process to get it resolved, please use the search function for that thread.
Old 04-11-08, 12:42 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

I Had Some Issues With My 08 Rx, Door Handle Came Off, Wind Noise, Roof Racks On Wrong And Loose, Rattles And The Noise From The Brake Booster Check Valve. All Issues Were Resolved By The Dealer But The Brake Booster Check Valve Was A "no Fix" Per Lexus Hq. I Added Some Dynamat Extreme To The Check Valve And Booster To Resolve The Noise. The Rx Seams Ok Now. But I Agree That The Pinnacle Status Of Lexus Is Some What Tarnished. My Dealer Is Good And I Hope Yours Is As Well. Make A List Of Issues And Leave The Car With Them, Get A Loaner And Enjoy!
Old 04-11-08, 01:01 PM
leonrx350
Driver School Candidate

The screen was replaced do to some bad pixels. (a lot more each time we started the car). if it is the brake check valve, does it sound like a buzz/rattle? I searched this site and another Lexus site and it appears the white dust is some sort of coating flaking off some part of the ac system. Others say that the whole dash needs to be disassembled to fix it. Is that true? If so I would be nervous about the dealer ripping the dash apart and having them not putting it back like the factory.
Old 04-13-08, 11:54 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry that you are one of them who ended up with a lot of problems. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 04-13-08, 05:22 PM
leonrx350
Driver School Candidate

I do not drive the RX that often and today I pulled it out of the garage and noticed a small puddle of oil on the garage floor. It looks like it is coming from the left side and is dripping from the area behind the large pulley on the bottom of the engine. I hope this is not the chain cover leak others have posted! I checked the oil level and it was down about 1/4 of a quart. I topped it off with some Mobil 1 5-30 oil. Any advice? Is my luck still bad?
Old 04-13-08, 07:57 PM
mandyfig

There was a TSB on oil leak on the RX350, your luck is fast evaporating! Good luck.
Old 04-14-08, 12:48 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

I have the same leak on my RX with under 5K miles on it. They tell me it is the timing chain cover seal. They have to remove the engine to repair it!!! I will live with it for now and not have it repaired as they will never repair it like new. I must have bad luck too. My car is such a piece of junk. Lexus quality! I have to trade it. Maybe for a bicycle!! Consumer reports moved the "new" Tundra, Camry V6, and Lexus GS AWD from their recommended list due to quality problems. Maybe the RX will be next.
Old 04-14-08, 05:21 PM
mandyfig

I saw the TSB and as you said, they have to tear it apart....holy mackerel!
Old 04-14-08, 06:40 PM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Junkxus
I have the same leak on my RX with under 5K miles on it. They tell me it is the timing chain cover seal. They have to remove the engine to repair it!!! I will live with it for now and not have it repaired as they will never repair it like new. I must have bad luck too. My car is such a piece of junk. Lexus quality! I have to trade it. Maybe for a bicycle!! Consumer reports moved the "new" Tundra, Camry V6, and Lexus GS AWD from their recommended list due to quality problems. Maybe the RX will be next.
That is unbelievable. What is going on with Lexus' (and Toyota) quality? I don't think they can live on their past quality any longer.
Old 04-14-08, 09:24 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to date my rx has been back to the dealer for these things...

back up camera stopped working,blown door tweeter, bad tranny (4 times) for that one, blown and leaking back shocks, nav error screen,door strips loose. now the rear hatch and hood struts dont work very good, im just sick of going to the dealer about it. i mean how many times can you drive the dealer loaners?
Old 04-15-08, 06:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its not just the RX, Lexus have been having quality issue across their whole lineup for the last 4 to 5 years or so. There are numbers of problem with the new ES, GS and the LX.

Quick Reply: Bad Luck