RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX vs Murano

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 08:06 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be comparing the fx to rx
Old 04-03-08, 10:50 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks everybody for all your thoughts and for being civil about it. Like I said earlier, when I posted on Mercedes board that I thought Mercedes quality was approaching Yugo level, I started getting hate mail and death threats for having audacity to say something bad about their beloved Benz. Luckily this forum attracts more mature individuals.

Anyways, as I stated earlier, Germans are ruled out because of the quality issues. I don't like Infinity FX or EX, to me they both look like some weird station wagons. Acura MDX is too big, RDX does not come with V6, which leaves me with RX or a new Murano. I want to stop by a Nissan dealer and take one for a test drive. The new CVT transmission supposedly does not have the old CVT flaws. It is much smoother on the take off, because they now use torque converter, and also the kickdown is as quick as a regular AT. The interior in a new Murano is better and richer then the Infinity FX, according to numerous reviews.

Well, thanks again, folks.
Old 04-04-08, 12:50 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

ever considered a mazda cx7 or cx9? i really like the CX9 after spending a lot of time behind the wheel of a rental cx9.
Old 04-04-08, 06:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Murano looks like a buggy weird station wagons too not just the Ex and the FX.
Old 04-04-08, 11:43 AM
Jimkerry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Murano looks like a buggy weird station wagons too not just the Ex and the FX.
Agreed. Murano is probably the perfect sport ute.........on paper.
Old 04-04-08, 04:19 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I went down to a local Nissan dealer and test-drove a Murano today. Very impressive rig, the ride is very comparable to my RX350. The road noise was non-existent, the engine was very quiet and there was no wind noise.

I compared two particular automobiles: one being my 08 RX350 AWD w/ Premium Plus Package, Xenon lights, rain-sensing wipers, tow-prep package. The other one was an 09 Murano SL AWD w/Premium Package, Leather Package, Technology Package, Illuminated Door Sills.

In term of feature this is how they are different:

Murano has theses thing not found on MY LEXUS:
1. Intelligence Key System
2. Push-Button Start
3. Push-Button AWD Lock (overrides computer)
4. Back-Up Camera w/7-inch Monitor
5. Satellite Radio ready
6. Bose Stereo w/9 speakers and 2 subs
7. Manual fold-down/power-up back seats
8. Bluetooth
9. Foldable Cargo Organizer
10. CVT Transmission (this could be good or bad, depends on your taste)
11. No interior rattles of any kind
12. Both MSRP and Invoice are about $8000 less

Lexus has these features not found on THAT PARTICULAR MURANO:
1. All 4 windows 1-touch up/down
2. Wood Trim
3. Power Sun Roof
4. Ability to move back seats forward and back without reclining them at the same time
5. If felt that Lexus had a little more knee-room in the back seat
6. IMO Lexus has more user-friendly Info display
7. Adjustable Center Console
8. Definitely better visibility on the rear quarters, especially passenger side blind spot.

I can’t think of anything else at this time. Overall I was very impressed with the Murano.
Old 04-04-08, 06:14 PM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by timho
Yes, LEXUS IS THE BEST CAR IN THE WORLD, PERIOD.
I do not know whether Lexus is the best car in the world, but the vehicles are very reliable.

RX has a better image, it set the standard for crossover suv but other manufacturers have caught up.

RX looks very out dated compared to other newer models that are in the market.They have been selling the same model since 2004. Nothing much has changed except Chrome handles & 7 spoke wheels(2008 & up) , more HP since 2007,locked out Gen 5 navigation

I test drove Murano yesterday and the ride was comparable.If you can get over the Murano styling, some like it some do not.

The interior is very quiet and nice, updated technology, better sounding BOSE system with subwoofers than the base RX sound system, power rear sets, satellite radio,IPOD control, Harddrive for music with CF card slot, better park assist than the RX,keyless ignition,nice wide hand rest (Ergonomically I feel RX has the worst hand rest(narrow) especially on long drives), soft seats compared to the RX.

Leg space is better in the RX.

Lexus has a lot of homework on their hands and for sure the next model will be more expensive because of the falling dollar value.
Old 04-05-08, 01:29 AM
erick3
Driver School Candidate

dude...in the end...it's still a nissan
lexus > nissan

but if you're concerned about ^, then you should check out acura...the mdx's pretty sweet. that was our second choice; the only reason why we went with the rx was because my mom pushed for it..........really really really hard...haha
Old 04-05-08, 06:45 AM
tran_man
Driver School Candidate

I saw the new Murano's for the first time the other day on the road and it was just disgusting. I think they took a step backwards in exterior styling. I would say the Murano might take a little more time to get used to than the MDX and it's front grille.
Old 04-06-08, 04:32 PM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

I almost purchased an 09 RX350 but decided to check out an 09 Murano and am so glad I did. I recently purchased the Murano LE. The seats in the RX were too hard and small. The RX is also so tecnhology deficient compared to the Murano. The ride quality is the same IMO. I did like the exterior of the RX a bit better than the Murano but definately do not consider the Murano and ugly-duckling at all. I prefer it to the exterior of the first generation Murano, including the new grill which some have said is ugly. The interior is light years ahead the first generation. Sure it still is a Nissan but even fully loaded it is still several thousand less than the RX. I did quite a bit of research on several vehicles before my purchase and found many more problems with the RX than the Murano and believe me I did a lot of reseach. Someone said to look at the EX instead of the Murano. Anyway I think you won't be disappointed purchasing the Murano over the RX and you won't have to pay $70 for an oil change. Hopefully Lexus will make the 2010 RX come into the 21st century. Good Luck.

Last edited by cwirth; 04-06-08 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 01:12 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by erick3
dude...in the end...it's still a nissan
lexus > nissan

but if you're concerned about ^, then you should check out acura...the mdx's pretty sweet. that was our second choice; the only reason why we went with the rx was because my mom pushed for it..........really really really hard...haha
good assesment. lexus is the upscale brand of toyota, nissan's upscale brand is infiniti. saying lexus >nissan doesnt make a whole lot of sense since they are two different markets. would be like me saying aston martin> jaguar.
Old 04-07-08, 05:18 AM
ZIN
Driver

Thats why they make different vehicles for different people along with different opinions and flavors. Hope you enjoy your Nissan and have many years of enjoyment. Over in this neighborhood we like to talk up our Lexus's,and we should be understanding not to through stones because we could chip our babies.
Old 04-07-08, 06:38 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

You must not have done a search on consumer reports,It clearly states the RX is @ the top of the list,of most dependable,best in class,etc.
Old 04-07-08, 08:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Come people, you cant just compare features and say the Murano is just as good as the RX, even the Nissan Altima has a push button start, does that make the Altima as good as Lexus LS? The main difference between the RX and the Murano is built material and quality and dealer service. If you dont care about those things, then you can save $8000 by buying a Murano.
Old 04-07-08, 08:43 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

I have to say the new Murano just looks awful -- a definite step backwards from the previous design. The same goes with the new FX. As a car manufacturer, you have to be careful not to redesign for the worse, just to "change" something. People say the RX design has been the same since 2004, well guess what... it still looks great and if you were Lexus, would you be in that much of a hurry to change the design of one of its best sellers?

Quick Reply: RX vs Murano