RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza wear report

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 03:47 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza wear report

I just got back from Discount Tire and with 27,000 miles on our Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's, the tread is at 9/32. Sure beats the heck out of the OEM Michelin's which were worn out at 37,000 miles! It is a just a guess, but if they continue to wear at this rate, I should definitely get at least 60,000 miles on the Alenza's don't you think???
Old 03-27-08, 04:19 PM
Ryoma111
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's good to know. I have the same tires as well.
Old 03-27-08, 04:56 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cdnewton
I just got back from Discount Tire and with 27,000 miles on our Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's, the tread is at 9/32. Sure beats the heck out of the OEM Michelin's which were worn out at 37,000 miles! It is a just a guess, but if they continue to wear at this rate, I should definitely get at least 60,000 miles on the Alenza's don't you think???
On my japanese OEM Bad Year ( I know it is Good Year tires) the tread is at 9/32 at 9000 miles , how much mileage do you guys think can be expected.

I maintain the factory recommended tire pressure and the vehicle is in Texas.

My driving habits are not too aggressive (70% hwy mostly @70 mph , 30% Surface streets)
Old 03-28-08, 08:12 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

My 2005 RX330 Thundercloud came with the Michelin MXV4's and they got me thru 2 winters pretty fair but last Oct. with 32k on them I decided I didn't want to go thru another winter with them. I went to the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza thru Tire's Plus and so far really pleased with them. I think the ride is almost a smooth and quiet as the Michelins, but the big thing is better traction on ice and snow in the winter and the fact that with only about 4k on them they still look like new. I realize that's really not much to go on with only 4k but I know the guys at Tire's Plus say they hear nothing but really good reports on the Alenzas. Traction wise as well as wear. They say to easily expect 50k to 60 k at the very least. I run mine at 32/33 psi and as I said I think they ride as good as the Michelins in both smoothness and quiet. They have just a bit more "feeling" to them with tar stripes or seams on Interstate than the Michelins but certainly not enough to make me want to switch back to Michelins.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black Interior with Black Birdseye Maple, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain Sensing Wipers, Headlight Washers, Moonroof, Tow Package with OEM Hitch, 18 inch Thundercloud Rims with Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas.
1998 GS300 (Previous and first Lexus)
Old 03-28-08, 08:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are looking for long lasting quiet tires that performs well in the rain and snow, you cannot go wrong with either the Alenza or the Cross terrains.
Old 03-28-08, 12:10 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sama
On my japanese OEM Bad Year ( I know it is Good Year tires) the tread is at 9/32 at 9000 miles , how much mileage do you guys think can be expected.

My driving habits are not too aggressive (70% hwy mostly @70 mph , 30% Surface streets)
Well, my Goodyear POS’s were about gone at 15k and finally replaced at less than 18k with winter coming. But then, I drive fairly aggressively too.
Old 03-28-08, 12:36 PM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by sama

Look at this video on tirerack: LinkfromTireRack

Typically a new tire will start at 10/32 of an inch and if you would like have a safe, reliable stopping in all conditions recommended time to replace the tires is at 4/32 of an inch.

"Legally" you can drive upto 2/32 of an inch, but it takes 3 times the distance to stop the vehicle and it is definitely a safety issue for you and anybody that is around the vehicle.

So you should expect atleast 25000 to 30000 miles before the tread depth is 4/32 of on inch, but it all depends on the condition of roads, your driving habits in the future and maintaining the vehicle in good condition.
Old 03-28-08, 12:41 PM
ISmy350JDM
Pole Position

Thanks For The Info! Great To Know
Old 03-28-08, 01:52 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I wore the good off of my Goodrears by 25k. I drive pretty easy and check and maintain tire pressure religiously so you probably will need to replace somewhere between 20-25k.

I switched to the Alenzas and love the ride, handling and quietness. Wearing well too.

FWIW, the Alenza has 12/32 of tread depth when new. Compare that to the 9/32 or 10/32 of the Michelin and Goodyear, respectively. Also of note is the tread width of the contact patch. The Alenza has a 1.2" wider contact patch than the Goodyear. Michelin data was not published.
Old 03-28-08, 04:27 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Took off the 18" MXV-4's at about 38K with very little tread remaining last fall. Swapped to B'stone Alenza's and have been very happy with the tire.

A couple of days ago on a long trip I compared the speedometer with the indicated speed on a laptop GPS that could give me instantaneous speed readouts, and at an indicated 80, the GPS was showing a calculated 77.8 mph. Not bad, considering the tires are the stock size. Similar software on my old RX 300 several years ago gave me a reading of 79 at an indicated 80, on up-sized Cross Terrains.
Old 03-28-08, 07:34 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put the Alenzas on my RX400h because I had to replace the Goodyear's at 25,000 miles. They have been great for traction and handle very well. However, they are not giving me as high mpg which my hybrid should. I also have the old Michelin Cross Terrains on my '99 RX300 and they give great traction, handling and seem to last a long time. I can't even remember when we put them on but it was several years ago.
Old 04-08-08, 04:35 AM
pdawg
Driver School Candidate

Did you notice any difference in mpg? I read that some people experience a loss.
Old 04-08-08, 11:17 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I replaced my OEM Goodyears at 35,000 miles with Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas. I since have put 5k on the Alenzas and think an update of my impressions is in order. I've driven the 235/55/18 Alenzas in some very bad weather conditions as well as a lot of high speed highway travel and the bottom line is I love the tires.

Treadwear as measured with a tread depth gauge:
New 12/32
After 5,000 miles 12/32

No wear showing at this point.

I've had the opportunity to drive with these tires in pretty deep snow (6-8") and they were great. Much more pulling power than the Goodyears and they just grip better in snow and icy conditions.

I've driven at high speed (75-80 mph) during torrential downpours and never felt any hydroplaning. Confident road handling performance in wet conditions. Again much better than the OEMs.

Dry traction and and handling are excellent. As I previously posted, the contact patch of these Alenza's is a full 1.2 inches wider than the Goodyear tire. This results in much better cornering. The sidewalls seem stiffer than the Goodyear as well, which means less lean in hard cornering and much less effect to the attitude of the vehicle in strong gusty crosswinds.

The tires also remain very quiet. I have found the tires to like 30-32 psi for the best blend of comfort and handling.

MPG seems slightly better but I had the transmission TSIB flash done at the same time as I replaced the tires so I can't conclusively say the tires caused better mileage. I am seeing higher MPG results in the city and suburban driving and the freeway MPG is about the same. Tires or transmission? Impossible to say with certainty.

Here is a graphic of my mileage.

All-in-all, my only wish is that Lexus had chosen this Alenza as the OEM tire. I'd still be driving on the original tires if they did.
Old 04-08-08, 06:26 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab

Treadwear as measured with a tread depth gauge:
New 12/32
After 5,000 miles 12/32

No wear showing at this point.

WOW!! That means you should get an infinite number of miles out of that set of tires.
Old 04-08-08, 06:29 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Alenzas are great handling tires. I feel confident on turns, snow and rain. I have 2 small gripes--gas mileage is down a couple of mpg, and they seem to make a lot of noise on wet and puddle filled roads. Otherwise they're terrific, and I don't regret buying them.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza wear report