RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

is it possible to roll back mileage? rx330? i saw this shady car in ny

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 09:07 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts
Default is it possible to roll back mileage? rx330? i saw this shady car in ny

i am trying to get a rx330 for 2 weeks now, had been a pain...i work till around 6 and every car is atleast 50 miles away from de.

i have been to MD, PA, NY traveled over 800 miles in the last 2 weeks but just dont like what i am getting or the car is not clean enough

last saturday i went to NY to check this car out, rx330 , 04 with around 26k miles, fully loaded. i looked up online and the car looked great. i drove for 125 miles got to the dealer. kg suzuki - they said they got the car from auction.

the car was total ****, man i have never seen a lexus with that low miles that bad. the leather seats where all wrinkles and the arm rest was almost fading in color (the leather peeling and stuff) (the dash in front of passenger had long scratches-- that car looked used alot-

i raised question at the dealership about mileage rolled back and they assured me its not the case. they said that the car was in the dealership for quite a while and initially they wanted 35k for it. now they are just trying to get rid of it. i have a gs400 and over 100k miles and my car is 10 times better than that rx- anyways we decided the car was not worth even if he gave me for 20k-

he said he can give me the car for 23500 or less - i just walked out-
what do you guys think here is the link its still for sale

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
Old 02-25-08, 09:33 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Possible, yes .. probable no ... Changing the odo and not telling the buyer is a crime (at least here in Texas). When you buy from a reputable dealership, then this sort of thing is not in their interest.

As buyer, you can do some investigation ... look at the service history and read off the odo-reading and date of service. Car fax can also help you.

Now the question for you is, why would you buy a beat-up vehicle with low milage. Since the owner chose not to take care of the obvious items of the vehicle, why would he/she have taken care of the essential items.

A well cared vehicle with higher miles would a better buy.

Salim
Old 02-25-08, 09:44 AM
banjo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You think maybe it has a 126000 miles on it and a abusive owner.......Keep looking for a nice clean car......
Old 02-25-08, 10:12 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesn't sound like you'd be happy with it given all the visible wear, whether the mileage is legit or not. when something doesn't seem right, it usually isn't in some way. be patient and keep looking for something you really want. it's a hassle when nothing is close but once you find the right car it will be worth the wait.
Old 02-25-08, 10:12 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the low mileage part is totally possible. my mechanic has a 2005 rx330, and his Rx only has 17K miles right now. since he only drives it to his shop and back home. the part of it being dirty and looking very used is also possible. my rx330 isnt in the best condition, the seats have wrinkles and some of the leather in my seats are fading. plus i got dings all over the outside of the car. ah well
Old 02-25-08, 10:39 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

entirely possible. On my old RX300 lease, i was thrilled to find out that at 14K miles, the guage cluster was giving me false readings on the fuel amount. as in, when i filled it up, it still said half tank. well i went back to lexus, they changed the entire gauge cluster, or w/e, and i was off driving a 0 miled RX300
Old 02-25-08, 12:07 PM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by UZ214
i am trying to get a rx330 for 2 weeks now, had been a pain...i work till around 6 and every car is atleast 50 miles away from de.

i have been to MD, PA, NY traveled over 800 miles in the last 2 weeks but just dont like what i am getting or the car is not clean enough

last saturday i went to NY to check this car out, rx330 , 04 with around 26k miles, fully loaded. i looked up online and the car looked great. i drove for 125 miles got to the dealer. kg suzuki - they said they got the car from auction.

the car was total ****, man i have never seen a lexus with that low miles that bad. the leather seats where all wrinkles and the arm rest was almost fading in color (the leather peeling and stuff) (the dash in front of passenger had long scratches-- that car looked used alot-

i raised question at the dealership about mileage rolled back and they assured me its not the case. they said that the car was in the dealership for quite a while and initially they wanted 35k for it. now they are just trying to get rid of it. i have a gs400 and over 100k miles and my car is 10 times better than that rx- anyways we decided the car was not worth even if he gave me for 20k-

he said he can give me the car for 23500 or less - i just walked out-
what do you guys think here is the link its still for sale

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
Visually Some thing is not right,The wood color of the steering wheel does not match the wood color on the gear shift , the gear shift **** is missing, what else might be missing on this vehicle?
Also see if it has any flood damage.
Old 02-25-08, 01:10 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Check for bullet holes
Old 02-25-08, 01:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

wow i didnt even notice the different colored wood for the steering wheel. i would stay away from that.

also the i think the gear shift being missing is a security feature, just like when you go into car shows. someody might steal it since its just a twist off
Old 02-25-08, 01:19 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Possible, yes .. probable no ... Changing the odo and not telling the buyer is a crime (at least here in Texas). When you buy from a reputable dealership, then this sort of thing is not in their interest.

Salim
Get real, man. Since when the fact that something is a crime stopped everybody from doing it? The dealer has his a$$ covered by stating that they bought it at an auction, which usually means "as is".

UZ214, check out these people, they should be somewhere in your neck of the woods: http://www.autolenders.com/index.htm?bhcp=1

Good luck.
Old 02-25-08, 01:27 PM
hyiu
Driver School Candidate

another possibility is that the car is in a crash before... and have extensive damage, then the outside is fixed, but since the car is in a junk yard or shop for extensive time under the sun and stuffs... the leather get wear out badly... or partly re-build together from other parts... you see all those missing shift *****, lighter covers.... not a good sign.

at times... carfax might not give you everything....

check the color of the body parts where it joins.... if you see color differences, it means its re-painted....
Old 02-25-08, 01:41 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

hi
yes i went to that place on friday around 6ish they were closed..
i will try them today if not tomorrow.

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Get real, man. Since when the fact that something is a crime stopped everybody from doing it? The dealer has his a$$ covered by stating that they bought it at an auction, which usually means "as is".

UZ214, check out these people, they should be somewhere in your neck of the woods: http://www.autolenders.com/index.htm?bhcp=1

Good luck.
Old 02-25-08, 01:44 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

i didnt eveb want to test drive the car after looking at the interior, whats crazy is he had the car detailed before i came to see it, as they knew that i was coming i called up in the morning.
the shift **** was there when i went to look at the car.
they had ony 1 key for it and, even the key looked used like hell, the buttons color fading and the logo stuff...i just thought everything just looks weird and really old for a 26k miles car.
Old 02-25-08, 02:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Ask the seller to provide a carfax for you.

You can also get the VIN and ask your local dealer to look up service performed on the car. That should also help identify and mileage discrepancies.
Old 02-25-08, 10:31 PM
messer
Driver School Candidate

yes you can get mileage turned back. people just have to know how-to re flash all the computers to change the mileage. its just a matter of keeping the paperwork in order - you do not want to turn the mileage back below its last recorded #. I know of 4 ppl who can do it in Toronto, Canada.

Quick Reply: is it possible to roll back mileage? rx330? i saw this shady car in ny