RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Annoying Clattering Noise above Left Ear of Driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 07:07 AM
myspouses
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Clattering Noise above Left Ear of Driver

My problem occured at beginning of 5,000 mile trek to pick up my wife at her Florida friends place and make some visits heading north.
The solution (not done until yesterday at Lexus) is appearing quite often now.
In fact at the feet of my Service Person's desk was failed part which is a plastic cover under the car for the fuel tank which loses rubber dampening lead strip over time. Then it clatters in thw wind (especially at Hwy. speeds) and telegraphs up thru' door and frame channels to seem like it comes from roof. I thought my hearing bad at detection when I found this out but apparently they have speant all kinds of wasted time with roof channels/ rubber strip replacements (which I had done on right side of car and had done left side of car yesterday before we figured this thing our)/power moon roof assemblies. The problem is under the car.
Old 02-24-08, 01:42 AM
Spotnsabby
Rookie

I've went through the same thing.
Old 04-22-09, 12:29 PM
mascss
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattle under 2008 RX at highway speed

I observed the same thing. Started chasing it from the roof thinking it was the rack crossbars. Nope, it was plastic cover piece rattling against floor board underneath car behind drivers seat. This occurred only at highway speeds. I added 2 strips of thick 2 way 3M tape 5" long and problem is gone. I will ask dealer about next visit for more permanent solution.
Old 04-22-09, 05:18 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the huge plastic cover under the car on the driver side?
Old 04-22-09, 06:58 PM
danlions99
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the plastic cover under the driver side and passenger side is the culprit. I had my wife drive at highway speeds and I put my ear to the footwell right behind the driver seat. That large plastic piece rubs against the undercarriage - my local Lexus dealer said there is a service bulletin for this issue and it requires a new part to be ordered. All said -this is a problem that Lexus is aware of and they are willing to fix.
Old 04-23-09, 04:44 AM
mascss
Driver School Candidate

Do you have a link to the service bulletin?
Old 05-04-09, 03:39 AM
benke
Driver School Candidate

Hello there!

I have the exact same problem, very annoying when driving long distances.
I´ve been crawling under the car and tried to put some foam material in places where I thought the problem was but nothing is helping.

Does anyone have a link pĺ the service bulletin or some pictures of the undercarrige so I can see where I should put some tape or something?
Old 05-04-09, 05:11 AM
mascss
Driver School Candidate

The Lexus dealer I spoke to said that the fix for this issue is just to trim the plastic cover where it curves up towards the under body. I found the noise culprit by getting in the back seat behind driver while my wife drove at 80mph. With my hand slipped under the carpet beneath the drivers seat, I could feel the chatter vibration and hear the noise very clearly right through the floor. When the car was stopped, I got under the car with the driver's side door opened and with one hand inside and one hand outside it was very easy to find the curved up edge that was hitting the under body. That's where I put the thick 3M tape on the top edge. Problem solved. I'm not even sure I'll bother having the dealer do the trimming.
Old 05-04-09, 02:12 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

A picture would help tremendously. Please post a pic of the solution. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-09, 04:55 PM
mascss
Driver School Candidate

Enclosed is the photo. Note the 3M tape in the upper left on top of the flat edge that is about 1/2"-3/4" away from underside. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails Annoying Clattering Noise above Left Ear of Driver-rx350-plastic-cover-006.jpg  
Old 05-05-09, 12:52 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Good info
Old 05-05-09, 02:20 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I will be grateful if you can take a pic further away from the car so we can orient ourselves and pinpoint where this monster is. That is if you agree to take one more pic. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-09, 10:07 AM
968racer
Driver

Thanks for the pic. I am experiencing the same problem.
Old 05-06-09, 05:09 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ooo, I thought it was due to the seatbelt mechanism. Good to hear that its an easy fix. I just bought a huge pack of foam too
Old 05-10-09, 11:10 PM
benke
Driver School Candidate

hello again.

I tried to fix the problem this weekend but my car doesn´t look like that under the car.
The plastic cover on the picture is smaller and there is a bigger sheet of plastic that goes from that place and all the way to the front wheel. I have air suspension on the car so it covers some kind of tank.
The clattering sound disappeared when I removed the bigger cover so I went to my local dealer to buy a new one but it costs around 3500 sek (360euro) so I going to try to fix it myself
I will try to remember to take some pictures later when I put the cover back on the car!

Quick Reply: Annoying Clattering Noise above Left Ear of Driver