RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Head Unit w/ 7" LCD, DVD, Bluetooth!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 05:18 AM
RX330Champ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Head Unit w/ 7" LCD, DVD, Bluetooth!

I just got my new head unit installed in my RX and figured I'd post a pic. It looks better than I thought it would in the dash. I had seen other pics of aftermarket screens and some of them just didn't look like they fit right. But mine looks great so I was happy.

As for the head unit itself, it's the Jensen VM9022. I know I'll get some flack for going with a Jensen but it had all the features I wanted and I couldn't argue with the price. Now that I've had time to play with it I am very happy with it. It sounds great and all of the features are awesome, especially the bluetooth. The main reason I decided to go with this unit was because I wouldn't have to buy an additional adapter in order to get bluetooth connectivity. It syncs up with my phone automatically every time I get in the car, and people on the other end say they can hear me loud and clear. It decodes Dolby Digital and you can even adjust each speaker's volume level independently. I also got a rear view camera installed as well and boy is that ever a nice tool to have. No more guessing on how close I am to objects directly behind me. Anyway, here's a pic:

Old 01-29-08, 05:42 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great purchase. Now, I would like to see and hear details, details, and more details since I would love to do something similar.

1. Who did the installation.
2. bottom line, what was the installed price (if you don't mind me asking)
3. photos of the rear camera?
4. does it come with Sirius or XM capability?
5. do you have any photos during the installation?
6. was there ANY modifying necessary - I am worried about the warranty!

TIA,
Gary
Old 01-29-08, 06:02 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Yes, yes, yes...interested in a set, too!!!
Old 01-29-08, 06:38 AM
Sugar3d
Driver School Candidate

yes please give us some info.

Looks very nice btw.
Old 01-29-08, 07:04 AM
cwirth
Driver School Candidate

Champ: That looks great. I currently own a 2005 Toyota Matrix and have been shopping for an RX350. Not sure whether I will go new or used at this point. In my Matrix I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D3. This has navigation and XM radio. It looks very to your head unit. I really like the Pioneer and the navigation can be used while driving. I didn't realize that the OEM head unit could be removed and replaced with an aftermarket. Is the opening a standard double din? The spacers you have to the right and left of the radio look exactly like the ones I used on my Matrix. Toyota does not have a true double din radio. The height is fine but the width is about 1" larger than a double din radio. That is why I had to purchase the spacers.

If I would be able to reinstall my Pioneer AVIC-D3 into the RX that would save me some money and probably get me a better navigation system.
Old 01-29-08, 08:15 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! Jensen stuff looks like they have improved these past years.

Where is the mic for the bluetooth? Is it separate? My JVC unit in my beater has a separate mic which I can choose where to put.
Old 01-29-08, 09:46 AM
RX330Champ
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I'll try to answer all of the questions but I apologize in advance if I miss something.

I had the unit installed at a local Best Buy. Only reason I chose to go there is because the lead installer also has an RX330 that he has done extensive audio work to, so I knew he would know what he was doing with my car. The total cost was around $400. That included making custom mounting plates for the 6.5" components that I had installed in the front (since our cars use a factory amp, you lose the tweeters and mids in the front if you replace your head unit, so the best option is to just get a good component set) the cost of the backup camera, and the complete installation of everything. So I didn't think that was too bad.

The unit does have XM capability, but I don't have it.

There is really no modification necessary, but I did have to buy the JDM Toyota Harrier double din dash piece, and also the universal Toyota ISO mounting kit (The black pieces on the sides to cover the extra space). Once you have those pieces, the install is pretty straightforward. I'm pretty good with car audio and have done a lot of my own installations, but I didn't want to deal with the factory amp, and the backup camera so it was just easier to have Best Buy do it all for me. Unfortunately, I didn't get any installation pics. I will have to post some pics of the backup camera in action then. Maybe tonight if I have time.

The bluetooth mic is built into the left side of the head unit. There's no separate piece for it.

Also, the unit has a separate medialink unit that is mounted in my glove box. It has a usb port, ipod connector (Even comes with the cable!), and rca jacks for hooking up external sources. Pretty sweet.
Old 01-29-08, 01:40 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

All for $400? Plus the OEM components, how much were they? And where did you get them? So, total was......????
Old 01-29-08, 02:22 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Wow, $400 total ain't bad at all. Does the head unit include navigation?
Old 01-29-08, 03:30 PM
RX330Champ
Driver School Candidate

The $400 doesn't include the price of the head unit, dash piece, speakers, or ISO brackets. That was just for the installation of all of it, and the cost of the backup camera. Still not too bad though. I got the head unit on ebay for like $479. The dash kit was another $100, and the ISO mounts were like $15. The head unit is Navigation ready, you have to buy the navigation unit to plug in to it. I didn't because I already have navigation on my smartphone.
Old 01-29-08, 04:10 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX330Champ
The $400 doesn't include the price of the head unit, dash piece, speakers, or ISO brackets. That was just for the installation of all of it, and the cost of the backup camera. Still not too bad though. I got the head unit on ebay for like $479. The dash kit was another $100, and the ISO mounts were like $15. The head unit is Navigation ready, you have to buy the navigation unit to plug in to it. I didn't because I already have navigation on my smartphone.
Oh okay, that sound about right then. Great job
Old 01-30-08, 09:48 PM
watevawbwb
Driver School Candidate

where did you get the dash kit for the head unit
Old 01-30-08, 09:58 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

That looks great!
Old 01-30-08, 10:41 PM
watevawbwb
Driver School Candidate

where did you get the JDM Toyota Harrier double din dash piece. can you show me please. thnzzzz
Old 02-01-08, 09:33 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. It looks very neat. I have a similar setup in my Highlander sans the Double din dash kit, all I have to buy was the black trim pieces to the left and right of the unit. (http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...43_85_full.jpg)

Last edited by memasterac; 02-01-08 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply: New Head Unit w/ 7" LCD, DVD, Bluetooth!