RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Where did they hide the wheel lock key

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 07:52 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did they hide the wheel lock key

I haven't tore the RX apart looking, I did look in the back under the cover where the jack is and in the glove box but can't find the wheel key. Any ideas before I call the dealer?
Jeff
Old 01-21-08, 09:03 AM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It should be in a small plastic pouch, either in the compartment where you stow the luggage cover, or in the area further forward where the jack is located. Sometimes they are attached to the jack or lug wrench.
Old 01-21-08, 12:36 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ours was attached to the lug wrench with a plasitic tie type of arrangement. Now it resides in the console box in it's own little bag.
Old 01-21-08, 05:59 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Still have not found the key, I found the bag with the info on the key in my folder from the dealer. I left a message with my salesman to call me.
Jeff
Old 01-21-08, 06:23 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Look where your jack and such are kept in the back and look for a tool pouch. You will need to lift the carpet to get to it.
Old 01-21-08, 08:36 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Did that already.
Old 01-21-08, 09:44 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Mine was just like Orzel's .. ziptied to the lug wrench.

Sales person went over every thing at the time of delivery, showing where the key is and reminding me about the roadside assistance.

Salim
Old 01-22-08, 01:18 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you buy the car new or used? If new, and recently, just take it back and the dealer should take it off for you and give you a new set. If used, they can still take it off but you might have to pay for a new set. Most dealers have a all the key sets so they just find the right one and simply remove them. Ever wonder how they remove your tires when you know you have the key at home? Even my independent Lexus service center had keys for most of the different patterns.

Also, since you have the key pouch, if you are not in a hurry, you can send the $10 or so to Mcgard and have them send you a new key.
Old 01-22-08, 05:02 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

The RX is brand new I have called the salesman but he hasn't got back to me yet. The dealer is about 50 miles away. I will call the service dept if I don't here from the salesman today.
Jeff
Old 01-22-08, 06:19 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

For non emergency I would give 48 hrs, then call the operator to inquire, if the sales person has been in, then escalate to sales manager.
{keep in mind the sales person can be on vacation, or even diligently tracing the make ready operation).

If 50 or even 100 miles away, you should share that your expectations are that some one will bring the key to you. The only potential embarrassment could be that the key has been in RX.

If your fear is about being stranded, keep in mind you are covered under roadside assistance.

Salim
Old 01-22-08, 07:34 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Ok I found the key tucked inside the little tool pouch, I should have looked a little deeper into the pouch. The service lady my wife talked to today said it would be velcroed to the carpet in the rear. Any ways thanks for all of the help.
Old 06-16-12, 12:38 PM
Philups
Driver School Candidate

I just took delivery of my 2012 RX 350 ! Same question. I lifted up the rear compartment and under the charcoal colored cover on the right facting the front of the Suv. is a circular indentation. It is inside. All you see is the top of the wheel lock the size of a quarter! It was hard to locate but I found it! Hope this helped!
Old 06-17-12, 05:09 AM
dandg
Driver

Those keys and locks break ( brittle) when they get old and then you have to use a special tool (as the pieces jam up the locks) .I had mine removed and put reg lug nuts on the wheels.Where I live there is just about zero chance someone would attempt to steal the wheels.If your in a high crime area you might want to replace them every 3 or 4 years.
Old 06-18-12, 08:09 AM
Jumper73
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dandg
Those keys and locks break ( brittle) when they get old and then you have to use a special tool (as the pieces jam up the locks) .I had mine removed and put reg lug nuts on the wheels.Where I live there is just about zero chance someone would attempt to steal the wheels.If your in a high crime area you might want to replace them every 3 or 4 years.
Don't know which one you had, but quality products should not have that happen.

I've had McGard locks for 15+ years now and have had no issue. Used on maxima for 5 and have since transferred to altima for another 10. Still looks brand new. And believe me, I've worked on both of those cars myself and wheels came off quite frequently (both vehicle had/has summer/winter set up).

Not sure what Lexus uses as standard, but I'd vouch for McGard locks.
Old 06-18-12, 08:47 AM
dandg
Driver

Originally Posted by Jumper73
Don't know which one you had, but quality products should not have that happen.

I've had McGard locks for 15+ years now and have had no issue. Used on maxima for 5 and have since transferred to altima for another 10. Still looks brand new. And believe me, I've worked on both of those cars myself and wheels came off quite frequently (both vehicle had/has summer/winter set up).

Not sure what Lexus uses as standard, but I'd vouch for McGard locks.
Had whatever they put on when new as we bought it new.I am pretty sure they where the Mcgards.I called them to complain but got nowhere.Found a tire place that had a special socket to grip around the outside like a pipe wrench does.
Have them on the GX I just bought and they are coming off first rotation,I have no use for them and IMO they a solution without a problem,at least for me.

Quick Reply: Where did they hide the wheel lock key