RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Pinstripes on RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-08, 02:47 PM
Buckeye1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinstripes on RX 350

I'm thinking of adding scarlet and gray pinstripes to my white RX350...I've seen single pinstripes, either gold or silver but the dealership said they can do doubles...as I am a huge OSU Buckeye fan...I was thinking of adding the stripes to differenciate my RX from all the other white ones I have seen.

Need to know if anyone has added the pinstripes and what they think.

Thank you.
Old 01-20-08, 03:17 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had sort of milk chocolate and gold-(ish) stripes applied to my white RX 300 and they were gorgeous! I contacted a striper locally that did hand-striping, and is well known in the hotrod and motorcycle community, and has a shelf full of awards for his work. For under $200, he applied stripes to both sides with a freehand "arrowhead" on the front and a modest filigree to the rear, plus decorated the hatch handle with a little freehand work. It took him about 30 minutes, and the car could be driven almost immediately.

I am totally in awe of these artists - working freehand with only a line of masking tape about an inch below his work area as a guide, this guy laid down two parallel stripes slowly and deliberately, one after the other, then freehanded the ends. The control and concentration required for this are something to behold. Check around local car shows, hot rod cruises, and motorcycle tours to meet or get names of local artists in your area. A couple of simple pinstripes are relatively cheap in their line of work, and can really bring out the lines of your car. These people have a great deal of experience and can suggest both colors and placement of the stripes for best effect.

What's the difference between tape and hand-applied stripes? Tape stripes look cheap, they fade in sunlight, and they don't have the "personality" that a few tiny imperfections produce. I asked him to sign his work and he was proud to do so.
Old 01-20-08, 05:03 PM
steiner
Driver

Originally Posted by Buckeye1
Need to know if anyone has added the pinstripes and what they think.

Thank you.
This sort of thing is strictly personal. And since you ask for personal opinion, I want to offer mine.

There is a reason you saw a lot of cars with pinstripes in the 80s and 90s but don't see it that often now: It makes the car looks cheap and so last century. My dealership offered to do it for free (hand-painted type) but I turned down. I remembered I had an Acura Integra in 1990, and the guy came over to my house and did a very beautiful job. I loved it back then, but decided to leave it in the past and not on my RX350 now.
Old 01-20-08, 08:08 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The RX 300 - particularly in white, needed something to relieve the inverted bathtub shape - thus I had it striped. My Savanna RX 330 has a number of shadow lines, breaks, and creases in the sides that I could never find just the right place for stripes.

However, I am threatening to have the guy paint a set of ghost flames on my wife's van . . .

http://www.milburnscustompaint.com/Vehicles.html

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-20-08 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-21-08, 11:39 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Cant picture it on an RX.

You'll be the first...Goodluck brave one
Old 01-21-08, 12:31 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our RX 330 is pinstriped with black and silver - looks quite good against the Thundercloud Metallic color. Our neighbor has a Silver RX 330 and his is pinstriped in black. Both vehicles have the stripping done to follow the contour line of the upper part of the doors. We've seen several RX's here that have similar pinstripes done. Would try to post a picture, but so far my picture posting skills have all been abysmal failures!
Old 01-21-08, 12:38 PM
Buckeye1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rollin'RX3
Cant picture it on an RX.

You'll be the first...Goodluck brave one

I know...I'm pretty nervous, but the dealership said it wouldn't cost much to have them removed if I don't like.

Thanks for responding.

Buckeye1
Old 01-21-08, 04:18 PM
tgdaman
Rookie

I'm one of those who had pinstipes on my cars of the 80's.
I've had both tape and painted, and my advice is don't go with tape, for many reasons. Find a good artist with paint and look at examples of his/her work first.
I hadn't thought of doing it to my '08 crystal white, but now you've got me thinking about it...........
Old 01-22-08, 05:44 PM
Buckeye1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tgdaman
I'm one of those who had pinstipes on my cars of the 80's.
I've had both tape and painted, and my advice is don't go with tape, for many reasons. Find a good artist with paint and look at examples of his/her work first.
I hadn't thought of doing it to my '08 crystal white, but now you've got me thinking about it...........
Got it done today...it's looks great! The guy from the Lexus dealership is truly an artist. It's scarlet and gray with the block OSU in place of the (L) for Lexus emblem. Now my white RX is unique!

Buckeye1
Old 01-22-08, 06:46 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Ok, now post pics!
Old 05-11-14, 08:06 AM
lester123
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeye1
Got it done today...it's looks great! The guy from the Lexus dealership is truly an artist. It's scarlet and gray with the block OSU in place of the (L) for Lexus emblem. Now my white RX is unique!

Buckeye1
I'm a Buckeye fan who used to live in Cincinnati, OH but now lives in south Florida. Just had OSU colors hand painted on my 2013 RX350 Friday for $150 . I didn't put the OSU on it for fear that a Miami U fan would remember losing in the bowl game several years ago. Pin striping looks great.
Old 05-11-14, 08:59 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine came with a single gray stripe with the Lexus logo on the front fender and I've always thought it looks good on the car. Now you've got me thinking about blue and silver with a little Cowboy star on there...nah, some insane Giants fan would give me a third stripe with her car key!

Old 05-11-14, 02:38 PM
Henry2024
Rookie

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Ok, now post pics!

I'm thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 05-11-14, 03:50 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lester123
I'm a Buckeye fan who used to live in Cincinnati, OH but now lives in south Florida. Just had OSU colors hand painted on my 2013 RX350 Friday for $150 . I didn't put the OSU on it for fear that a Miami U fan would remember losing in the bowl game several years ago. Pin striping looks great.
Of course, all the UF fans in the state will know and they will point and laugh...
Old 05-12-14, 11:02 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry2024

I'm thinking of doing the same thing.
the last respond was back in 2008....

Quick Reply: Pinstripes on RX 350