RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx330 Brake Pads replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 11:17 PM
Dlove330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I did my brake pads, front and rear (@ 31,000 miles) and it is pretty straighforward.

I bought the OEM pads from Sewell Lexus. I had the Rotors turned at the Dealer.

I took some pics and probably can write it up a a simple DIY. If there is some interest, I will.

Could you post the Lexus front and rear pads part#'s? I would like to know if the Toyota Highlander ones carry the same part#'s. Am cheap what can I say

Thanks in advance
Old 09-20-08, 06:42 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dlove330
Could you post the Lexus front and rear pads part#'s? I would like to know if the Toyota Highlander ones carry the same part#'s. Am cheap what can I say

Thanks in advance
Here is a link from another article on RX brake pad changes with part numbers. I have no idea if the pads from a 300 are the same as a 330 (I would think so, but that is a huge leap of faith )

"Lexus brake pads from IRON TOAD
$45 from Irontoad. Rear Lexus part # is 04466-33050. These are for a 2001 RX300."

In addition, there is a photo of a Toyota branded box with the part number 04465-48060, and it says on the box "Pad Kit, Disk Brakes".

When I am ready to do my brakes - I have 44000+ miles and the pads have over 1/4" of material left - I will call the local Lexus dealer and ask for the part numbers. Then I will call my friendly Toyota dealer, who is only 3 miles away, and give him those part numbers. He has told me in the past that he is willing to work with me on finding Lexus part numbers and applicability to Toyotas.
Gary
Old 11-15-08, 10:06 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Gary, have you done your brakes yet?
Old 12-12-08, 07:25 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Mandyfig,that is very interseting DIY,i noticed on my rx330 04 that the rubbers on the rear brake sliding pins that you mentioned is not sealing properly ,so will you tell me please how to replace those rubbers ,the ones on the caliper itself and by the way is there some kind of bushings on those sliding pins that need to be replaced also ,the pins that you mentioned in your diy to get the piston out,,,thanks last if i want to replace the rotor i know you have to get the caliper out ,the rotors have somekind of retaining pin under the plastic plug,how to move that pin and get the rotor out.
I AM TALKING ABOUT THE REAR BRAKES

THANKS
Old 12-13-08, 06:32 AM
mandyfig

I am not sure what you are referring to, I will check on the manual on how to replace the rotor. By the the way, why do you have to replace the rotor?
Old 12-13-08, 08:39 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for your reply, after you remove the sliding sylinder pins ,there will be other pins that holds the dust boot rubber,those pins will be on the part of the calpier that bolted to the steering wheel parts or in the rear to the car body part,how to remove it and get the rubber boots out thanks
Old 03-05-09, 02:29 PM
alexpro
Driver School Candidate

These are GREAT pictures. I just replaced the front brakes on my 2005 RX330 and I didn't see the silver clip attached to any of my pads. I was able to just pop out the old pads and pop the new ones in after putting grease on them.

One problem I now have is that my parking brake light came on and won't go off. I know that a lot of fluid went into the reservoir beyond the max line but I removed that. I'm not sure but maybe the float in the resevoir is now messed up. I was able to push it down with my finger and it is now at the bottom of the bottle. To me, that would sound like it would force the warning light on to indicate low fluid. But even when it was high the light was on. Is there anything I could have done with the actual brake pads that is producing this?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 03-05-09, 07:41 PM
Scottydog
Driver

Originally Posted by alexpro

One problem I now have is that my parking brake light came on and won't go off.
the parking brake light has nothing to do with brake fluid. It's a switch on the parking brake foot pedal.

Now if it's the "brake malfunction" light, could be just that, antilock problem perhaps. I've heard of other antilock malfunctions coming from too much back pressure squeezing the calipers too hard.

Which light is it?

Last edited by Scottydog; 03-05-09 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-06-09, 08:11 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Gary, have you done your brakes yet?
I am ready to do another tire rotation this weekend but last month there was still a lot of material left on the pads. My car was inspected and the inspector, who knows I do my own work, said "your pads will need to be replaced asap". So, to calm my wife, I pulled one front and one rear wheel. At least 1/4" of material left and no squeeling. I wouldn't trust my wife in the car with grandkids if the pads were adequate but I really have no idea what this guy was smoking.

I am betting that my tire rotation will show good pads.
Old 03-06-09, 11:04 AM
alexpro
Driver School Candidate

Hi SD,

According to my manual, it is the "Brake System Warning Light". But as you continue to read on, it is the indicator for when you use the emergency brake. It does sound like the car thinks the emergency brake is applied since it does beep as soon as I start driving. I looked around the Emergency Brake Pedal for the switch but can't seem to locate it.

I think I left out a vital part. I looked at the old pads and noticed a clip attached to the piston side pad. I didn't see that when I was taking the pads out and just popped in the new pads. I'm thinking that clip must have a purpose and is probably why this light is on. Here's a picture of the old pad.
Attached Thumbnails Rx330 Brake Pads replacement-brake_pad.jpg  

Last edited by alexpro; 03-06-09 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 03-07-09, 06:33 AM
mandyfig

That's an indicator that the pas thickness is low. It will actually rub on the disc and squeel, that's your alert that you are running low on pad.

Just buy one and install. Otherwise, if you are consistent in checking your pads or getting it serviced, you are ok without it.

This is not related to anything regarding the light.
Old 03-07-09, 04:10 PM
ericg
Rookie

Default RX330 brake pad replacement

Mandyfig, what type of grease do you recommend for the shims? Is a thin coating the best way to apply the grease? If there are anti squeal shims, what is the purpose of the grease? Thanks........

Eric
Old 03-07-09, 05:34 PM
Scottydog
Driver

Rotor eventually warp from overheating. You can "turn" the rotors, but for many cars replacement is almost as cheap. Caliper grease comes with the pads, and is used to lubricate the caliper post so that it can move easily. Use it sparingly, as it can cause brake dust buildup on the post.

Brake System Warning Light could be just an adjustment problem on the switch for the ebrake foot pedal. The switch should be obvious/attached to the pedal close to the hinge. The good news is the ABS malfunction is a separate light. Ebrakes operate by a cable that typically goes to the rear brakes, pulling on a drum type that brakes internally to the rear caliper. If somehow that seized up you may be driving with the ebrake partially activated.
Old 03-08-09, 10:12 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I am going on 60K, and just now looking at getting the brakes done. Had the fluid changed out at 30K and will have it done again this time. We got real lucky that the rotors have not warp on this car. We are in Mobile, AL with 67" of rain last year so it saw a lot of hot, cold on the Rotors just the thing to help them warp.
Old 03-26-09, 01:46 PM
jaskeda
Driver School Candidate

I need help, Please.
I try DIY my 2005 rx330 REAR brakes ( I did the front very well) but I can not open the pins, any of them. If any one have tips to open them, Please help me, even I should bring my car to a shop.

Quick Reply: Rx330 Brake Pads replacement