RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Which noise do you have?
Engine clicking noise
21.95%
Back seat moving noise
12.20%
Driver side only pin noise
4.88%
Other interior noises
53.66%
All of the above
7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Noises

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 03:28 PM
Fat Cat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the brake clunk is the most annoying of all noises!!!
Old 12-13-07, 05:12 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

The tranny clunk bothers me! Slowing down @ 20 mph...you hear a clunk...supposedly a TSB replacing some tranny lines....????
Old 12-18-07, 02:45 AM
MC Wong
Rookie

Replacing the Tranny lines don't do much. I had mine done and the car still clunks at times when I slow down. The are a few noise for me but I am used to them now.
Old 12-19-07, 02:36 PM
johncdoyle
Driver School Candidate

I had the engine ticking noise and dash rattle fixed under warranty. The ticking sounded like valve noise, but it was the injectors. This is addressed by TSB #EG005 - 05. Parts included a fuel pipe sub assembly and a damper assembly. The service manager said it doesn't satisfy everyone, but it worked for me. For dash rattle, they did TSIB NV007 - 04, plus insulated defroster vent cover and bulkhead, plus insulated defroster nozzle. That took care of the rattle.
Old 03-23-08, 06:41 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by johncdoyle
I had the engine ticking noise and dash rattle fixed under warranty. The ticking sounded like valve noise, but it was the injectors. This is addressed by TSB #EG005 - 05. Parts included a fuel pipe sub assembly and a damper assembly. The service manager said it doesn't satisfy everyone, but it worked for me. For dash rattle, they did TSIB NV007 - 04, plus insulated defroster vent cover and bulkhead, plus insulated defroster nozzle. That took care of the rattle.
John, I have got the same dash rattle that is more of a vibration kind of rattle coming from the radio/vent area of the dash. It is intermittent in that you only hear it if the road is just a little bumpy. You do not hear it when the RX is not moving. My RX is brand new, had it only 1 month but noticed the rattle right off. The second day I drove it I thought it was the ice in my wife's water mug vibrating but it was coming from the middle dash area. Is this the sound that you had? If so, I will make a note of your TSIB when I take it back to the dealer for the fix.
Old 03-24-08, 05:07 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

Hi everyone. After the holiday weekend in my RX350 with the 2 bulk packs of Dynamat extreme (see my other post for details) the RX is much quieter than stock. Minimal traffic noise and road noise. I must say I drove my sisters"s new 08 ML350 and it is a lot, a real lot stiffer and quieter over the same roads and same speeds. Thicker side window glass would help reduce the noise in the RX. I must remember this is just a Highlander, not a bad thing, but I expect more for the premium price.The ML350 was almost 12K more than a loaded RX. Well you get what you pay for. I will live with my RX for now until the 2010 model comes out, if it is improved I will trade the 08, if not I will go for the MB.
Old 03-24-08, 06:02 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

3 issues so far; - creaking noise in roof - thought that was fixed last year, but came back last weekend on some rather uneven roads. Also, drivers side arm reast creaks when I lean on it. Sounds like leather on leather rubbing, but it's new and annoying. Also have a rattle from the left door. Not sure if it's in the mirror or not, but only happens in real cold. Seems to go away when it warms up a bit, but then returns as it gets colder. Which is an issue right how; when is Spring going to spring!!!!!!
Old 03-24-08, 07:20 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by MC Wong
Replacing the Tranny lines don't do much. I had mine done and the car still clunks at times when I slow down. The are a few noise for me but I am used to them now.

I did this TSB myself on this clunk-thug issue, replaced the oil cooler tube assembly. The clunks are gone. I am paying attention, though.

Easy to do.
Old 03-24-08, 03:20 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Rattle from dash. (seems common from this forum)
2. Rattle from center council
3. Loose coin noise from passenger map pocket and stops when you pull it out
4. Very subtle single click noise from passenger side wheel (seems like) when you gently press the accelerator or brake gently after costing. Both occur around 35mph.

Also I noticed the passenger side safety belts bangs against the wall a lot even though it is NOT slack. The noises are ok not really unhappy. Then again my last suv was a original 99 Mercedes ML (Hell on Earth). So the RX is great, don't even remember my service advisors name or how to get to the Lexus dealer. Those are good signs to me.

Last edited by triplecore; 03-24-08 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 05:59 AM
JamesHuang
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Injector / Fuel Injectors Noise / Engine Ticking & Tapping Noise

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Have noticed the tapping lately which I believe to be the fuel injectors. Have had the dash noises since day one. After 3 attempts to repair it by the dealer I just learned to live with it.
So no permanent fix for you? How about below?

Originally Posted by johncdoyle
I had the engine ticking noise...The ticking sounded like valve noise, but it was the injectors. This is addressed by TSB #EG005 - 05. Parts included a fuel pipe sub assembly and a damper assembly. The service manager said it doesn't satisfy everyone, but it worked for me.
That TSB# EG005-05 / EG005 - 05 fixed the engine tapping issue for you for good then?
Old 03-16-11, 09:56 AM
koric
Driver

My wife heard a loud pop in the cabin as she was driving on the freeway while the windows were up and radio is off. It sounded like an empty water bottle in the heat. Just one loud pop. She called me and told me about the noise since she and her passenger were startled. I searched for the water bottle when she got home and I didn't find one. We just got the car and there is nothing in it. Maybe a pebble struck the windshield but I didn't see any chips. Comments/advice?
Old 03-16-11, 10:08 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollin'ES3
Minor interior noise for me. No biggy

Same here.
Old 03-16-11, 10:11 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by triplecore
4. Very subtle single click noise from passenger side wheel (seems like) when you gently press the accelerator or brake gently after costing. Both occur around 35mph.

Also I noticed the passenger side safety belts bangs against the wall a lot even though it is NOT slack. The noises are ok not really unhappy. Then again my last suv was a original 99 Mercedes ML (Hell on Earth). So the RX is great, don't even remember my service advisors name or how to get to the Lexus dealer. Those are good signs to me.
Yes.
The passenger seatbelt retracts in an 'inside.out' position. You have to pull it out and twist it a little, let it retract gently, and then the noise disappears for the most part. Not well thought out. You have to do this every time a passenger has used the seatbelt.
Old 03-16-11, 10:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by triplecore

Wow, those were that bad? I almost bought one of those when I got my first RX.
Old 04-02-11, 07:59 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I get a little wind noise from the right side...cant pin point it...

Quick Reply: Noises