RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What type of Coolant to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-07, 11:03 AM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What type of Coolant to use?

I am getting ready to DIY the 30K miles maintenance on my '04 RX330. I am planning to replace: Coolant, Transmission Fluid, and Brake Fluid. Do I need to use the Coolant from the Lexus Dealer or can I use the regular Prestone from Autozone with a mix of 50/50 distilled water. How many quarts of Type of T-IV transmission fluid do I need for the tranmission flush?
Old 10-12-07, 01:03 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Coolant change is not necessary until 60K (it says 100K on manual). You must use Toyota Long Life Coolant. I would use the Toyota brake fluid. Tranny Fluid...of course you have to use T-IV. But as many of our members say, they have used synthetic with good results.
Old 10-12-07, 02:11 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Coolant change is not necessary until 60K (it says 100K on manual). You must use Toyota Long Life Coolant. I would use the Toyota brake fluid. Tranny Fluid...of course you have to use T-IV. But as many of our members say, they have used synthetic with good results.
Mandyfig, thanks for the quick respond. Can I just get the Brake and Transmission fluid from Toyota or do I need to get it from the Lexus Dealer. I am assuming Lexus would cost than Toyota and the fluids are the same. How many quarts of transmission fluid do I need without dropping the oil pan?
Old 10-12-07, 02:32 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexmex has a picture of a Toyota T-IV ATF bottle that is stamped "made by Exxon Mobile", which confirm that Toyota just specifies the requirement, many suppliers, OEM or aftermarket make spec complying fluids.
I have drained OEM coolant with two drain plugs from the engine block and one drain plug from the radiator. Replacement is Prestone with great result for cheaper $. Read the User's Manual on coolant requirement, satisfy that with any name brand coolant will keep your warranty valid.
Old 10-12-07, 03:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Lexmex has a picture of a Toyota T-IV ATF bottle that is stamped "made by Exxon Mobile", which confirm that Toyota just specifies the requirement, many suppliers, OEM or aftermarket make spec complying fluids.
I have drained OEM coolant with two drain plugs from the engine block and one drain plug from the radiator. Replacement is Prestone with great result for cheaper $. Read the User's Manual on coolant requirement, satisfy that with any name brand coolant will keep your warranty valid.
Here is that photo again.
Attached Thumbnails What type of Coolant to use?-img_2819.jpg  
Old 10-13-07, 05:40 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

You can get the supplies from Toyota or Lexus. Lexus will charge a bit more for the same item.
Old 10-13-07, 05:43 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy your transmission fluid from the Toyota dealer at a savings. Here is a link to the DIY section showing the transmission fluid change for the RX300.

http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/xm...id_change1.htm

Having done my 330 I can say that it is essentially the same as the 300. Be aware that if you drop the transmission plug, you only get about 1/4 of the fluid, the rest is in the torque converter and the body of the trans. My technique, though cumbersome and time consuming, was to drop the pan plug and then refill the transmission. I drove the car for a few days and repeated the procedure. Drove another few days and repeated the process. Someone with better math skills than me can tell you what percentage of ATF is original and what is new but I am happy with my process. Others have dropped the transmission cooling line going to the cooler and run the engine while the tranmission pumped out the fluid. They refilled and continued running the engine until the amount of fluid in the system was pumped out. Others have gone to a professional and done a power flush.

I would never use Prestone in any new car. The green stuff has been replaced by new technology. Did you ever get a radiator replaced in an older car and notice the white precipitate that forms on the internal parts of the rad? That is something that comes out of solution over time. I have read that the new coolants don't do this using HOAT technology, Hybrid Organic Acid Technology. I believe that Toyota uses the slightly different Organic Acid Technology, OAT, that is similar (?) to the Dex-Cool brand. I need to do some homework here and see if they are interchanable but in the meantime, I would stick with the Toyota brand.

Gary
'05 330

I just did some further Googling and came up with some more information. I can't vouch for its accuracy:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._for_your.html

This says that Toyota uses the HOAT antifreeze. However, the following site says that they use the OAT technology:

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/defau...Text&item=5514

Confusing? Are they interchangable and if so, why are they different? I guess the best guess is to get a gallon of Toyota antifreeze and see what they are selling. IF it is the HOAT, then I am a big fan of the Zerex G-05 product.

Last edited by Grumpa72; 10-13-07 at 05:53 AM. Reason: added information
Old 10-15-07, 12:16 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another member just posted dealer is selling Toyota Super Long Life for $29 per gallon, which is diluted with 50% water. I would stick to major name brand that satisfies the spec set in the User Manual because I do not like burning $ for nothing but a brand. Functionally here is what Lexus requires in writing, which specified any coolant with ethylene-glycol is OK, from p255 of my RX300 UM,
Your coolant must contain ethylene-glycol type coolant for a proper correction protection of your engine that contains aluminum components. Use "Toyota Long Life Coolant" or equivalent
Old 10-15-07, 10:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

And also dump in a bottle of Redline WaterWetter.

I know my RX wants to kiss me for using this stuff.
Old 10-10-17, 07:25 PM
jsferra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant

not sure autonation toyota does my servicing.