RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Who's Responsible for Service Bulletins?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 12:40 PM
stanner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's Responsible for Service Bulletins?

My wife’s 2007 RX350 has pulled/drifted/meandered or what ever you want to call it to the right since the day we bought it last November 2006. The dealer in Wisconsin looked at it and said they really didn’t see anything wrong. Now that we have moved to Northeastern NC, my wife is driving about 30 miles each way to work and complained about it still pulling to the right. So she scheduled an appointment with the closest 35 miles away Lexus dealer in Virginia Beach. I decided to take a quick look at the Club Lexus forum and did find a service bulletin that talked about pulling to one side or the other and that it would be covered under warranty if below 20,000 miles and 12 months. We have 14,000 and it’s just under the 12 months. I printed the first page of 14 and took it along with me to the dealership. I gave the service person the page (at the bottom in bold it explains the warranty) and asked them to see what could be done. That was at 10:45. At 1:30 I went to the service desk to see how things were going. The desk (kid) checked and said they were just taking it down from the alignment lift and would wash it, about 20 minutes. About 30 minutes later, a different service person came to me and said that I needed a 4 wheel alignment and that isn’t covered under warranty $$$. I asked to see the paperwork that I brought in and showed her the service bulletin where it said it was all covered under warranty. She said she’d check on it but it would be another 90 minutes because they had to do the alignment. I asked her what the heck had they been doing for the last 2 hours? She said it takes 90 minutes to do an alignment, a 4 wheel alignment. Anyway, about 30 minutes later she comes bopping around the corner and it’s ready at no cost to me. I think I saw a cost sheet of $270 but my copy doesn’t show any costs.

What really gets me is if I hadn’t have checked your web site and found that bulletin, I would have been paying for a warranty repair. Shouldn’t the Lexus service center have known about it? How many others have paid for warranty repairs? This might be dreaming, but if I had paid, would Lexus have caught it and refunded me?

Who's responsible?

Dave
Old 10-08-07, 06:50 PM
sama
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stanner
My wife’s 2007 RX350 has pulled/drifted/meandered or what ever you want to call it to the right since the day we bought it last November 2006. The dealer in Wisconsin looked at it and said they really didn’t see anything wrong. Now that we have moved to Northeastern NC, my wife is driving about 30 miles each way to work and complained about it still pulling to the right. So she scheduled an appointment with the closest 35 miles away Lexus dealer in Virginia Beach. I decided to take a quick look at the Club Lexus forum and did find a service bulletin that talked about pulling to one side or the other and that it would be covered under warranty if below 20,000 miles and 12 months. We have 14,000 and it’s just under the 12 months. I printed the first page of 14 and took it along with me to the dealership. I gave the service person the page (at the bottom in bold it explains the warranty) and asked them to see what could be done. That was at 10:45. At 1:30 I went to the service desk to see how things were going. The desk (kid) checked and said they were just taking it down from the alignment lift and would wash it, about 20 minutes. About 30 minutes later, a different service person came to me and said that I needed a 4 wheel alignment and that isn’t covered under warranty $$$. I asked to see the paperwork that I brought in and showed her the service bulletin where it said it was all covered under warranty. She said she’d check on it but it would be another 90 minutes because they had to do the alignment. I asked her what the heck had they been doing for the last 2 hours? She said it takes 90 minutes to do an alignment, a 4 wheel alignment. Anyway, about 30 minutes later she comes bopping around the corner and it’s ready at no cost to me. I think I saw a cost sheet of $270 but my copy doesn’t show any costs.

What really gets me is if I hadn’t have checked your web site and found that bulletin, I would have been paying for a warranty repair. Shouldn’t the Lexus service center have known about it? How many others have paid for warranty repairs? This might be dreaming, but if I had paid, would Lexus have caught it and refunded me?

Who's responsible?

Dave

Sorry to hear about the experience at the first dealer.

IMHO, As a consumer, I would request the service advisors to pull all the TSB's for the model year in question and ask them what are applicable for your vehicle's VIN. Lexus has issued the TSB's for a reason, to fix the defects outlined for the vehicles/models in question

A normal customer does not know what a TSB is unless the vehicle has the defect and won't realise it is covered under Lexus warranty until the service advisor "Advises" the customer.

Otherwise there is no difference between a Lexus service advisor and a regular service rep for other brands.

Last edited by sama; 10-08-07 at 06:53 PM.