RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

When to replace brake pads and rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 08:46 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default When to replace brake pads and rotors?

At what point does Lexus recommend replacing the pads and rotors? I'm referring to how far down the pads are worn in millimeters. We have a RX330.

And on a related question, will a Lexus dealer always replace the rotors on a brake replacement or can they be turned once?

Thanks.
Dave
Old 10-07-07, 09:14 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replace pads when they get down to around 1/8 or I start to hear the slight scraping sound that the wear indicators make. I check pads each time I rotate the tires, at 5000 mile intervals, so I am to evaluate them several times a years. Fwiw, we are at 36000 miles on the original pads and have at least 3/8" still on them. I fully expect 50-60000 miles without compromising safety.

Rotors? This will open a can of worms. I never turn rotors unless there is some pulsing of the brake pedal when braking or some other indication of warping or thinning. For instance, my 14 year old Acura with 118000 just now needs new rotors. Of course, the RX is a heavier vehicle and may wear rotors faster. But, there are those who say turn the rotors with each brake pad change. Usually they are in the repair business or parts business. Again, I only turn rotors when they need it, not as a matter of habit. It will only take your new brake pads a few miles to "bed" down to the surface of the rotors and most manufacturers tell you do drive about 10 mph or so and then hit the brakes hard a couple of times. This after you rough up the surface of the new pads, prior to installation, with sand paper.

Gary
Old 10-07-07, 11:10 AM
salimshah

Received 1,008 Likes on 911 Posts

The rotors need to be warped or grooved to need turning. Since there is a limit on how much material needs to be left after the operation, the real answer depends upon how bad is the grooving or warping.

As a standard procedure, brake shops would like turn the rotor to give the customer complete brake job feel. I personally favor turning when there is an actual need as after turning the rotors become more prone to warping [the counter argument is that if the rotors were good to begin with, very little is taken off at the lathe].

Regarding the pads, there is a slot in the middle. When the wear reaches the bottom of the groove, it is time to replace. Also the leading edge and the trailing edge of the pad are chamfered. Once the pad becomes flat as a biscuit that is another way of telling it is time to replace. Typically at that time you get excessive dust (nothing beats a visual .. which requires removing the wheel)

Salim
Old 10-07-07, 01:49 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with all that was said above. Depending on your braking style the pads could last up to 60K miles. Mine lasted to just under that. The rotors were still good. When it comes to rotors though, my personal preference is to never turn them unless I'm just fixing it to sell the car. I personally always opt for brand new rotors whether it be OEM, OEM replacements, or after market so called performance rotors whenever I change my brake pads. Typically even on my sports/sporty cars the pads last around 30K miles, so my opinion is new rotors every 3-4 years with pads is a minimal investment. But, others may feel turning them is just fine.
Old 10-07-07, 02:40 PM
sjpobox
Driver

we sell pads at 3mm front and rear and resurface rotors. i work for an lexus dealership.
Old 10-08-07, 08:10 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
The rotors need to be warped or grooved to need turning. Since there is a limit on how much material needs to be left after the operation, the real answer depends upon how bad is the grooving or warping.

As a standard procedure, brake shops would like turn the rotor to give the customer complete brake job feel. I personally favor turning when there is an actual need as after turning the rotors become more prone to warping [the counter argument is that if the rotors were good to begin with, very little is taken off at the lathe].

Regarding the pads, there is a slot in the middle. When the wear reaches the bottom of the groove, it is time to replace. Also the leading edge and the trailing edge of the pad are chamfered. Once the pad becomes flat as a biscuit that is another way of telling it is time to replace. Typically at that time you get excessive dust (nothing beats a visual .. which requires removing the wheel)

Salim
Very good rule of thumb on the slots and chamfer, these are visual aids on detecting a condition when it needs attention. This is what Toyota terms "Visual Control."
Old 10-08-07, 01:21 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed the front pads last week at 75K. Maybe had 5K left on them. Rotors looked OK & no pulsating was ever felt so I left them alone.
Old 10-08-07, 01:43 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone for the great information. This will help me tomorrow when I take our RX in for service.
Old 10-12-07, 10:21 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Changed the front pads last week at 75K. Maybe had 5K left on them. Rotors looked OK & no pulsating was ever felt so I left them alone.

nice! i feel good now with my 06 rx330 at 40k that i have a lot of life left

on the other hand i just replaced the rotors and pads for the second time on my 04 scion xb at 70k

i guess they are not able to be turned?
Old 10-12-07, 10:48 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

im at 38K and on the original pads and rotors. ive heard of other people going longer.
Old 10-12-07, 01:05 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I am at 28K and I see just an 1/8th ''. I guess it depends on the type of driving. How come you have plenty left? You drive your RX like crazy!

And what is TLN # 4, if it is not too personal?