RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The cost of certification process to a dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 07:19 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The cost of certification process to a dealer?

Found one RX330 in my area, but its not certified. How much does it cost to the dealer to certify it, given its within aghe and mileage parameters?
Old 09-07-07, 08:10 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

the terms confuse me a bit.

Dealer or any one can run any checks you want and charge you the labor hours. I have heard now Lexus labor rates are above $100/hr.

Certified in my mind are the vehicles with extended warranty. As a first owner you can purchase it and pass it on to the next owner for $50 transfer fee. The premium has changed over time and last I checked it was $2000 (roughly). No checks are performed. The car sales person sells the extended warranty and the premium is negotiable.
Again my understanding of the term "certified" is that the vehicle carries Lexus extended warranty.

If you want standard tests to be performed, call the service and ask them what sort of tests are done and most important of all, how much would they stand behind their results once they take their money. [Usually in used car market, there is very little they can guarantee]. Also check lemon busters etc . Given permission they can check the vehicle out for a fee of $100-$200 (roughly) and there may be additional charge if they have to make a trip.

Ask for service records and that should give you an insight on long term care.

Salim
Old 09-07-07, 02:17 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Salim, Lexus certified is more than just an extended warranty, there are additional benefits.
Old 09-07-07, 11:54 PM
salimshah

So what additional things you get with certification?

Salim
Old 09-08-07, 05:38 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
So what additional things you get with certification?

Salim
you get roadside assistance, one free oil change, and 3yr/100k mi powertrain warranty.
Old 09-08-07, 08:08 AM
salimshah

The extended Lexus warranty gives you bumper to bumper 100K miles warranty, with break down assistance along with trip assistance. There is some fine print that excludes wearable items and a nominal co-pay ($25 not sure).

The oil change you mention is the only one thing better ($40-60 in value) but the extended warranty seems lot superior comparing the two certifications [again I am using the term bit loosely]

Salim
Old 09-08-07, 09:20 AM
Tom H
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Certified" usually applies to pre owned cars that are beyond the standard warranty, thus excluding them from qualifying for factory extended warranty programs. The certification is supposed to include a full inspection and necessary repairs/service to bring the car up to factory specs. Then a special certified vehicle warranty is added on. The purpose of coarse is to improve the marketability and value of used cars.
Old 09-08-07, 11:03 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Tom H
"Certified" usually applies to pre owned cars that are beyond the standard warranty, thus excluding them from qualifying for factory extended warranty programs. The certification is supposed to include a full inspection and necessary repairs/service to bring the car up to factory specs. Then a special certified vehicle warranty is added on. The purpose of coarse is to improve the marketability and value of used cars.
Tom:

This is what confuses me.
The impression I have is "certified" from Lexus dealership comes with 100k (extended warranty).
There is another grouping, "n items checked" ... no warranty but assurance is that the things checked are functioning. [A notch above As is]
Last group is "As IS".

Instead of assuming anything, the best course of action for the buyer is to ask and get the applicable warranty in writing ... [the extended warranty certificate come in mail].

Salim
Old 09-08-07, 12:27 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

looks like I did some homework and found out what certification really means. Its a way for dealers to charge 2500 more! The process involves reconditioning and insurance policy. I do not believe there's additional reconditioning is required.

Personally, it makes no benefit for me to get that kind of protection, because if I get a car with under 40K mi, it may take my wife 3 yrs to get to 70k mi, so having dual coverage and paying that much extra for it is a rip off.

Bad things is that dealers certify almost any Lexus to get as much $$ as possible.
Old 09-08-07, 02:11 PM
jednav
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

certification is a fancy word used by auto dealers on their used vehicles.

basically it is saying give me more money now, and bring in more money later when it breaks down.
Old 09-08-07, 02:15 PM
bngu1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think it cost about $700-1000 certify a used car. i might be wrong but remember seeing it somewhere couple years ago. i see the prices of a certified used is always $2000 or more compare to a non-certified.
Old 09-08-07, 02:19 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Kostyan
looks like I did some homework and found out what certification really means. Its a way for dealers to charge 2500 more! The process involves reconditioning and insurance policy. I do not believe there's additional reconditioning is required.

Personally, it makes no benefit for me to get that kind of protection, because if I get a car with under 40K mi, it may take my wife 3 yrs to get to 70k mi, so having dual coverage and paying that much extra for it is a rip off.

Bad things is that dealers certify almost any Lexus to get as much $$ as possible.
Kostyan's post reinforces my assumption that you get extended warranty. We have had quite a few threads on extended warranty. But that is a total different discussion.

Bottom line , the cost is $2000~$2500 and you get 100K full coverage.

Salim
** my guess is that for extended warranty to go into effect, the base warranty should have not run out so the milage ought to be 60K or less.
Old 09-10-07, 09:56 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Kostyan's post reinforces my assumption that you get extended warranty. We have had quite a few threads on extended warranty. But that is a total different discussion.

Bottom line , the cost is $2000~$2500 and you get 100K full coverage.

Salim
** my guess is that for extended warranty to go into effect, the base warranty should have not run out so the milage ought to be 60K or less.

Extended wtty: 6 yrs/100k mi = about 1200
Lexus Certified wtty: 3 yrs/100k mi + roadside assistance = 2500 premium on the car
Old 09-10-07, 10:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont think you can get a 100000 mile Lexus extended warranty for $1200.
Old 09-10-07, 10:27 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Kostyan
Extended wtty: 6 yrs/100k mi = about 1200
Lexus Certified wtty: 3 yrs/100k mi + roadside assistance = 2500 premium on the car
6yr/100k for $1200 is too good a number to believe. Either it is third-party [Non Lexus] or the the reduced premium has been adjusted by increasing the price.

Other thing to watch out for is the time period ... 6yr vs 3 yr ... the 6 yr is from date of sale and the 3 yr is typically beyond the expiration of base warranty. Non Lexus warranty may differ.

Salim

Quick Reply: The cost of certification process to a dealer?