RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

After Zaino treatment - Thank you CL

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 02:36 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dinomon
I use Turtle Wax -Super Hard Shell. How is it compared to Zaino?
this Zaino discussion (addiction ? ) comes up on other auto forums too. Here is what Consumer Reports had to say. I will note that they didn't test
Zaino, which I am sure is a good product. Oth, $7 for their top performing wax with good shine, ease of application, blah blah blah, is tough to beat. What does Zaino cost?

Consumer Reports July 2006
Car wax
Quality shine for less

RUBDOWN Selecting a wax should depend on the condition of your finish and the effort you want to expend.In our test of car waxes, we found that pricier ones favored by enthusiasts do not necessarily work better than some less-expensive brands. The two top performers cost just $7, while a product selling for $32 ranked no better than the middle of the pack.

We also found that any wax good enough to provide some protection still requires a dose of good old-fashioned hard work. Easy-to-use spray-on, wipe-off products may save time and work, but they fared worst in our durability tests and were least effective at cleaning. Liquid and paste waxes did better as a group, but they required more
effort to apply and remove.
Old 08-30-07, 12:20 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, looking at those pics makes me wanted to break out the Porter Cable and Zaino.
Old 08-30-07, 12:47 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

What photos?
Attached Thumbnails After Zaino treatment - Thank you CL-sc430-door-at-800.jpg  
Old 08-30-07, 01:10 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfischer
What photos?
All I can say is WOWWWWW
Old 08-30-07, 01:20 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice job. Zaino is all my GS sees (although I use other products for my other cars).
Old 09-01-07, 06:20 AM
jngjng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I applied Zaino to the RX and found that although it did a good job, it wasn't very long lasting. After two weeks, the rain stopped beading on the hood and roof. I applied it again and the same thing happened.
That being said, I performed the same process on my 03 BMW and it didn't have the same problem. One year later and the water is still beading on the hood of the BMW. The results look a lot better on the Bimmer since it is graphite gray and you can definitely get the mirror finish, even one year later. The RX is back to 3M imperial hand glaze and Blitz Wax and it appears to have better durability.
Old 09-01-07, 06:36 AM
Tom H
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jngjng
I applied Zaino to the RX and found that although it did a good job, it wasn't very long lasting. After two weeks, the rain stopped beading on the hood and roof. I applied it again and the same thing happened.
That being said, I performed the same process on my 03 BMW and it didn't have the same problem. One year later and the water is still beading on the hood of the BMW. The results look a lot better on the Bimmer since it is graphite gray and you can definitely get the mirror finish, even one year later. The RX is back to 3M imperial hand glaze and Blitz Wax and it appears to have better durability.
1 - Did you wash the RX with Dawn and then clay before the first coat?
2 - Did you use either Z1 as a first layer or mix the first layer of Z2 with ZXF flash cure?

It sounds as though something was on the surface that prevented the first layer from bonding. The Zaino should last for many months if it bonded correctly. I've used Zaino for many years and never experienced what you are seeing with your RX.
Old 09-01-07, 07:23 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

TOMH is correct.

The problem sounds like what happens when a polymer (such as Zaino) is applied over wax or something other than the paint itself.

If you really want the best results, use an orbital polisher and a very fine polishing agent (Zaino makes one that is pretty good). This abrasive action takes everything off, and removes all the fine swirl marks.

The next best thing is to wash with Dawn dish detergent (the blue version, not the other colors). Wash twice to be sure you are getting all the wax off the car. Doing a once over with a clay bar is a nice touch if you want a very, very smooth to the touch finish.

Finally, your Zaino may not have bonded to the paint. The first application has to be either Z1 prior to Z2 or Z5, or mix ZFX into the Z2 or Z5. The ZFX is a quick bonding and quick curing agent that eliminates the need for Z1.

I park my RX outside, and rain beads up nicely even after 6 months. The problem of having the Zaino protection fall off quickly is caused by forgetting the bonding agent for the first coat or by not removing all wax first, or both.

Sorry; you will have to do over.