RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Strange noise coming from the area around the radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 11:27 AM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Strange noise coming from the area around the radio

Hi all,

I recently picked up a 2004 RX330 and there is one thing that really bothers is the noise coming from behind (I think) the stereo area. It is not a rattle but more of a scraping. It usually starts after 30-40 mins of driving and then I can just sit in the car parked (with engine running) and listen to this scraping sound (really feels like there is a rat in there).
I took to the dealer and of course there were no sounds while I was there.
Did anybody experience something similar?

Thanks
Old 08-24-07, 11:36 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

You will have to find a way to simulate it while you are at the dealer, that is the only way they can do something about it. Noises coming from behind the radio is new. There are a lot of dashboard rattles for the 04's. You will have to study on how to simulate it.
Old 08-24-07, 12:04 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Its probably the TSB for the cooler lines or something like that--they are right behind the radio area I think? plenty of TSB's for that
Old 08-24-07, 12:49 PM
mandyfig

You are probably right, not in the cabin, but in the engine, hence the weird noise. Keep on paying attention and one day you will pick it up where it is coming from. Patience is a virtue (easier said than followed).
Old 08-24-07, 01:00 PM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for your responses.
The noise (scraping) is not coming from the engine as I can clearly hear it coming from right in front of me. And it is not a rattle eigher becasue I hear it even when fully stopped.
Old 08-24-07, 01:32 PM
mandyfig

Have you tried banging on it to make it stop? There's a ton of loose connectors with no foam wraps on the 04's. The rattle kit had a ton of felt and foam.
Old 08-24-07, 08:10 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a TSB out for the front vents rattling--have them look up the TSB's on your car! My L Mechanic lets me look right there beside him going down the list of TSB's--Tell your Mech you want to see the list of TSB's on your car...DONT take NO for an answer
It takes all of 2 minutes to pull up your cars TSB's
Old 09-24-07, 09:25 AM
prubio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove my wife's 2004 RX330 last night (~51K miles on it) and I heard the same thing. I heard it with and without the A/C running. But the noise sounds exactly like what is described in this thread and it's coming from the same general area. I can't hear it from the outside of the car. Any progress on identifying the cause of the noise yet?
Old 10-01-07, 11:12 AM
drib
Driver School Candidate

I too hear this noise on occasion. It does it usually when it is colder outside and no accessories are running although it still makes the noise when the a/c is running. It sounds as if something is popping from behind the stereo or passenger side. Popped the hood and listened to the engine and couldn't hear anything sounding engine related.

Anyone have any luck with the dealer?

2004 Lexus rx330
Old 10-22-07, 09:22 PM
prubio
Driver School Candidate

I drove my wife's car today to get a better listen to the noise. You can't hear it until the car is warm (verified this every time I drove it today). When it is first idling, the noise is not present. Another data point but still not closer to finding the cause. :-\ Any news from the others that have reported the 'noise'?
Old 10-23-07, 03:22 PM
tgdaman
Rookie

Here's what we know:
It is NOT a rattle, since noise happens at idle. It is NOT the engine, since noise is not heard with the hood up. It is NOT the air conditioning, since noise appears with or without AC on.
Noise only happens when the engine is warmed up, and noise comes from area within the dash behind the radio area.
Sounds to me that BOOYAH is on the right track with something to do with cooling, or whatever other plumbing is like that behind the center dash location.
If the serviceman can't find a TSB for this, they should be able to figure it out anyway.
Old 11-11-07, 07:55 PM
prubio
Driver School Candidate

Well, it finally drove me over the edge tonight enough to take apart some plastic panels and see what was up. After doing this, I noticed the servo motor that is right underneath the middle of the console was making the noise going back and forth. After making my discovery, I searched and found this possible solution:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=41624
Old 01-24-08, 06:27 PM
fw1
Rookie

I think tgdaman and prubio are right on the money. After 5 months driving on my new 08-RX, this noise finally crept up on me (it was intermittent at first). It was a sinking feeling and disappointing too since I always thought I had bought a reliable, durable luxury vehicle. Anyways, I believe it's the servo motor which emits the noise back and forth (alternating noise if you feel). It sounds a bit like the multi-disc CD changer changing disc but not quite -- the motor noise is distinct though. It is most prominent at idle, and maybe there during driving (just dwarfed by the engine and road noise).
Lots of controversy on this topic, but next time if I ever get a Lexus it will be from Japan.
Old 01-24-08, 08:36 PM
prubio
Driver School Candidate

I had the servo motor replaced on the passenger side and it fixed the noise. My RX330 was made in Japan. :-\
Old 01-25-08, 05:42 AM
mandyfig

Now I am hearing a rattle coming from my glove box......crickey!

Quick Reply: Strange noise coming from the area around the radio