RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Which octane do you use in your RX330?
Reg (87 min)
30.00%
Mid grade
13.33%
Prem
56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Gas Octane

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 11:21 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, higher octane rating gasoline has the potential to release more energy because it can resist predetonation in higher compression engines. But 3mz-fe may not be designed to release that potential.

It is very misleading to equate higher octane to performance, if one puts in higher octane than the engine is designed for, it hurts performance, decreases mpg, and clogs up the catalytic converter because gasoline is left unburned.

Ever try to put race gas that has 104 octane rating into a street car? Only rice Civic owners are uneducated enough to believe their slightly modified or stock engines can use this ultra "premium" gas and improve 1/4 mile or 0-60 times. To the rest, such gas will only burn holes in the wallets and get owners go backward in performance.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 08-15-07 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-15-07, 11:23 AM
cheap_deal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw

Display was showing average 10.6L/100 KM, which translates to 22.1 MPG.
I was consuming as low as 8.4L/100 KM or getting 28 MPG!
Jesus Christ!!! i struggle to get even 13L/100 KM. best i have got is 17mpg!!!
Old 08-15-07, 11:30 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
...Premium gas is not better gas for your RX, regular has the same amount of cleaning detergent as premium, except for Shell V-power, which has more cleaning detergent...
This is only true for gas from Top Tier suppliers. Several major suppliers like BP, Mobil and Citgo are not Top Tier suppliers. Shell, BTW, is a Top Tier supplier and all of their grades meet or exceed the Top Tier requirements.

Ref: http://toptiergas.com/index.html
Old 08-15-07, 11:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I know for a fact that Mobil put in twice as much detergent as the federal requirement, but it is the same amount across the board, rather its 87 or 93 octane.
Old 08-15-07, 03:21 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I know for a fact that Mobil put in twice as much detergent as the federal requirement, but it is the same amount across the board, rather its 87 or 93 octane.
I'd be very interested to find out just why Mobile gasoline does not meet the Top Tier standard. If you know for a "fact" that the detergent levels they put in all their grades is the same, perhaps some or all of their gas grades are substandard due to other components in their gas (i.e.sulfur), or the quality of their additive package. If you are close enough to know these "facts" perhaps you could share the reason why their gas doesn't measure up.

The requirements for TopTier certification are spelled out here: http://toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html

Something is keeping Mobile and BP from being Top Tier certified and it stinks, literally.

When I was experiencing a strong sulfur smell in my 04 RX330, my Lexus dealer told me that I should stop burning Mobile or BP and switch to a Top Tier retailer. I started burning Shell V-Power and the smell stopped. Lexus told me that they have seen lots of these odorous complaints caused by "crappy gas" (his words not mine) being supplied by some of the more prominent retailers. I know for a fact that my car stinks with Mobile and BP but is fine with Shell. Shell being a Top Tier retailer and the other two not.

I printed out a list of the Top Tier retailers and keep in in my car so I will never wind up with "crappy gas" again.

TopTier retailers list: http://toptiergas.com/retailers.html

This Top Tier standard was developed by BMW, GM, Honda and Toyota.
The intention of the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards is to create a winning situation for gasoline retailers, auto manufacturers and drivers. Currently, many gasoline retailers provide fuels with lower-quality additive packages that can build up deposits on fuel injectors and on intake valves. Others can build up deposits in combustion chambers and may lead to intake valve sticking. These lower levels of additives can have negative impacts on engine performance and vehicle responsiveness.
Old 08-15-07, 03:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd take the 'crappy' gas up there over what I have to deal with down here, which deserves a worse name altogether.

When I was growing up in South Florida, back when gas was under a dollar in the late 80s, some of the local street racers and I used to make the following observations about gasolines back then.

BP/Gulf- gives the car more kick, but less MPG
7-Eleven- el cheapo, but hey it got you places, just not in a street race
Chevron- best MPG gas
Amoco- best all around gas for a little of everything
Texaco- Only if we had the cash (for the 104 Octane that is).
Shell- cleans out the engine

Of course this has changed over time.

Now, in the U.S., I favor Chevron for daily driving, but Sunoco for racing.
Old 08-16-07, 12:22 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is one article I have found on the net:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...gas-usat_N.htm

The strength of additive packages varies, but meeting Top Tier standards can require 2½ to five times as much additive as the EPA requires.
Not all big names have signed on, while some obscure gasoline marketers have, as a way to show they're selling high-quality gasoline.
Complicating things, some respected brands not on the Top Tier list claim to exceed the requirements. They just don't think auto companies should tell them how to make or market their fuels.ExxonMobil, for instance, wants "a more collaborative approach," says spokeswoman Prem Nair. Auto and oil companies should "work cooperatively to determine the optimal mix of vehicle hardware and fuel standards," she says. Exxon and Mobil aren't Top Tier brands, though Nair says they surpass that standard.
Old 08-17-07, 10:55 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
...while my RX is staying nice and cool, parked at the Orange County airport (protected from the sun and crap with a Budge car cover).

Originally Posted by mandyfig
That's how to pamper your RX!
Yeah, there's nothing worse than coming home to the airport and finding your car covered with dust, grime, bird crap, etc.--even if it is parked in a covered parking garage.

Old 08-18-07, 09:15 AM
ricdiablo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
You guys are so lucky you do not have the heat and the humidity like ATL...it's aweful!!!!!!! HOT and HUMID!!!!!!!!! AC stays on like forever!
Yeah, but your gas prices are cherry! Heading down I-75 I found some great prices--absolutely NOWHERE in Cali can we get a deal like that.
Old 08-18-07, 12:02 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Yes, our gas in places like Costco and BJ's are about $2.50/gallon right now! Beat that!