RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cleaning the windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 08:52 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Cleaning the windshield

How do you guys clean the inside of the windshield. I have just been using windex and paper towels, but when I drive into the sunshine, there are always obnoxious streaks. Because the windshield is at such an angle, it is hard to reach in there. Has anyone perfected a good technique? Mine is not working.
The following users liked this post:
AnitaGail (03-24-22)
Old 06-21-07, 09:05 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use either Stoners Invisible Glass or Meguiar's NXT Glass Cleaner and a couple microfiber towels. Clean and dry glass in the shade when the glass is cool. Back when I used to use Windex it always left a film.
Old 06-21-07, 09:05 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interior windows - especially the windshield - are a pain. Some best practices...

- Work when the glass is cool.

- Apply less product than you think you need, and apply it to the towel, not the glass.

- Have a dry towel handy to follow up and remove any remaining glass cleaner residue.

My best results have come from using waffle weave microfiber towels. They're fairly absorbent and don't leave any lint.
Old 06-21-07, 09:12 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Whatever happened to ols newspapers, etc? Microfiber is the best way, with Windex, should work. It is a pain to get in there, though. I need to clean mine, I hate the streaks.
Old 06-21-07, 12:23 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks guys. I thought there would be a correct way to do it!
Old 06-21-07, 01:03 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have found

that the best results I get are with two microfiber towels, one wet the other dry. Wipe and clean with the damp one and dry immediately with the dry one. Using various cleaners I always seemed to reacquire that film that builds up on the inside rather soon thereafter. The cleaner must attract whatever causes it. Using just plain water I get a lot more time between cleanings and the buildup is not nearly as bad. I also have one of those had held devices from Griots that is triagular shaped with a removable microfiber covering. This allows you to reach right up to the dash and into those hard to reach corners very easily. It is one of the few things from Griots garage that I have found worth the money however.
Old 06-21-07, 04:28 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree w/ the posters above - use a microfiber towel or some other soft, thick cloth. if you use paper towels, they aren't thick enough to get down at the bottom of the windshield where your fingers/hands can't reach. so dampen a MF towel with window cleaning product and jam it down in that bottom space and just move it side to side.

windex is ok, but auto glass cleaners are better specifically for not leaving streaks and also not getting a filmy residue once the car heats up on the inside.
Old 06-21-07, 06:32 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard that there are gasses that are emitted by all the plastic parts inside the vehicle that leave a film on the windows. More true when the vehicle is newer and they diminish over time as the plastic parts "gas out"... Since plastic is made from petroleum, this makes some sense to me.

I'm in agreement with everyone else about the Stoner Invisible Glass product and the two microfiber towel method. Works great. Windex does a crummy job. BTW, as many probably know, don't use a fabric softener sheet in the dryer when drying microfiber towels, or in the wash with a clothes detergent that has fabric softener in it. The towels will lose their ability to grab and hold dust particles if you do...
Old 06-21-07, 08:39 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Just use wet and squeezed chamois. Plain water and no chemicals. For those who object using animal skin, can use synthetic equivalent. (unfortunately the synthetic levaes micro-water spots on glass).

Windex and similar products dont do a really good job for glass at home. Glass shops use a white spray can ... the product name escapes me. As I said for my RX no chemicals.

Salim
Old 06-21-07, 10:59 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ plain water is good enough. i agree there
Old 06-22-07, 01:05 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Professional window washers use one or two drops of dish washing liquid in a bucket of water, no more. You don't want suds or streaking. Squeegee dry.
Old 06-22-07, 02:11 AM
cheap_deal
Driver

wow you guys use a lot of cleaners!!!!
i dont even use water, just a dry microfiber towel usually and maybe a wet towel once a month and then wipe dry. the inside of the windsheild does not get dirty with oil, grease, bugs etc. i dont see a point in using anything other than water to remove the dust particles.
Old 06-22-07, 05:20 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I will try water and microfiber...it makes sense....GLASS cleaner...will, too.
Old 08-05-07, 07:11 AM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah

Glass shops use a white spray can ... the product name escapes me. As I said for my RX no chemicals.

Salim
Do you mean Sprayway? Some supermarkets carry it. It's as good as Stoner's from what I can tell.
Old 08-05-07, 08:26 AM
Krayziedxc
Driver School Candidate

Sprayway Glass cleaner works the best and thats what the Dealer uses and they wont sell it to us, no streaks and great smell. i use to use Invisible Glass but it not the greatest no more.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the windshield