RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

start up prob...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 05:42 PM
dhamaka127
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question start up prob...

hey guys,

I got into my car and tried to start it. Athe car tried to start but nothing....only the starter going at it. The battery was fine because the windows were going up and down with no problem. The dash had all the lights on.

I took out the key and tried to start the car after like 15 seconds...and,..i pressed on the gas a bit and it started up....Then i took the car for a ride to see if anything else was weird about it....nothing really...everything was good....i got back home in about 5 minutes after the ride. I turned off my car and then tried to start it again. Then it started up just fine!

this was very weird!!

anyone know any info on this prob?

thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-07, 05:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

In the morning here, I sometimes have some rough starts with either rain, previous rain, high humidity or hot weather.

Sometimes, I know of this issue occuring with vehicles that have old/dirty air filters and under certain types of weather.
Old 06-22-07, 05:59 PM
dhamaka127
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
In the morning here, I sometimes have some rough starts with either rain, previous rain, high humidity or hot weather.

Sometimes, I know of this issue occuring with vehicles that have old/dirty air filters and under certain types of weather.
I will check out the air filters tomorrow...

What is a good brand of air filter for a 2004 rx 330?

I am really suprised about this....its a 2004 and i have a problem like this. Also its not even humid or hot. It was nice right now when this happened. Around 61 degrees and low humidity.
Old 06-22-07, 06:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by dhamaka127
I will check out the air filters tomorrow...

What is a good brand of air filter for a 2004 rx 330?

I am really suprised about this....its a 2004 and i have a problem like this. Also its not even humid or hot. It was nice right now when this happened. Around 61 degrees and low humidity.
It can be the air in the airbox itself. I usually have to give it some gas when a low idle occurs, instead of about a 750 RPM normal, I get a 500 RPM.

For air filters, a stock filter will do fine. Though some will use the K&N 33-2260 model. Some RX300 owners have had issues, me included, with the oil getting on the red diode on the MAF sensor, but this doesn't occur with everyone. What I used to do is wipe off the oil competely and then reoil just the front side (side that would face down in the airbox).
Old 06-23-07, 06:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Get OEM filters from some of the Vendor Sponsors here. Otherwise, any Auto store will have the exact fit, or even wallyworld.
Old 06-30-07, 08:09 PM
dhamaka127
Driver

The problem is the battery. Its shot! If i jump the car it starts up fine.

Thanks for the replys everyone!
Old 07-01-07, 05:53 AM
mandyfig

Did you get a new set? What did you get?
Old 07-02-07, 06:37 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Question

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Did you get a new set? What did you get?
I havent gotten the new battery yet. I was going to ask a few of you guys what should I get!

ANY SUGGESTIONS???
Old 07-02-07, 09:31 AM
mandyfig

OEM Lexus.......or else Costco...I have been lucky with Costco-Kirkland (made by Johnson Controls).
Old 07-02-07, 09:29 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
OEM Lexus.......or else Costco...I have been lucky with Costco-Kirkland (made by Johnson Controls).
I have the OEM Lexus one and currently testing it out for life span and everything. I had some other brand from Costco and when it gave out, it completely died. The jumpstart failed to do anything and caused my parents to be stranded in my car twice! I had to rescue them . Thank God we have GPS in our RX330
Old 07-02-07, 10:39 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that same problem happened with my old toyota,
Old 07-03-07, 03:20 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Question

So Lexus OEM is the way to go right? where should i go to buy it? Can i go to a Toyota dealer and buy it? or do i have to go to Lexus itself?

I think I have this problem because when I went on vacation I left my car for 6 weeks without it starting for that amount of time. The first time I had to start it up I had to jump it. I was fine with that. Now the battery dies if i leave the door open for too long and the interior light stays on (while the door is open). However, when I did leave I turning the auto lights to off and the auto wipers to off. I don't think i forgot to turn off anything else.

This was the reason why i was asking a few people on here about disconnecting my battery. I was suggested not to do so because of the ECU needing power, etc....

Any one else have this problem when they left there cars for an extended period of time?

Thanks for replies in advance.
Old 07-03-07, 04:55 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure why some of you recommend OEM batteries. Is there something special about them? While I understand that OEM air filters fit better, Type IV ATF works well, I don't understand the battery thing. I personally use name brand batteries only for my cars when the time is due. The one thing I look at, in the correct battery size of course, is cold cranking amps and warranty. About the only time I ever went with an OEM battery was for an old Mercedes diesel that needed a BIG battery. THen I found that there was a suitable substitute for it and, as it turns out, they made the batteries for MB anyhow.

My suggestion? Go to Sears and buy a Diehard or go to Advance Auto Parts and buy an Optima - good reputation, good battery that will do everything you need.

Gary
Old 07-03-07, 05:40 AM
mandyfig

Agree on battery. For some of us who find it cumbersome to go places like retailers, there's nothing wrong to get the OEM. Personally, I have never bought any OEM battery. I have used Kirkland brand from Costco. I used to have the Walmart batteries, too, but Costco beats their price and longer warranty, too.
Old 07-03-07, 08:36 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

There are two possible OE battery sizes. The standard is size 35 and the "heavy duty" included with the tow prep package (which is "standard" on all the RX's at our local dealer) is size 24.

The highest rated size 24 is the Interstate Megatron Plus MTP-24F, which is available at Sam's Club, amont other places. 2nd highest is the Everstart 24F-3N (Northern states), which is a Walmart house brand. Other size 24s, including DieHard and the Southern State version of the Everstart, did not do well at all.

For the smaller size 35, top choices are the Napa Legend 7535 and Autozone's Duralast 35-DL. Neither scored as well as the two 24s listed above, but they did ok. Die Hards once again didn't score well (particularly the Weatherhandler series), and surprisingly the Interstate MegaTron that topped the size 24 list did very poorly in size 35.

So I'd go with one of the two top performing size 24s, or if you want to spring the extra dough, the Optimas are always a solid (but expensive) choice. If the OEM battery died on you in a little over 3 years, no reason to pay top dollar for another one. I've never had a quality battery last less than 5 years, and our winters are just as cold as yours are.

Quick Reply: start up prob...