RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 08:57 AM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!

First time poster here on this forum. Trying to decide between these two vehicles.

I impressed with the new Acura MDX and like their technology better, but it's 6" wider and much longer, bad for a tight parking space at my office garage. I own a '99 RX 300 that's smaller and narrower yet, with 110k miles on it, so I trust Lexus. My wife wants a smooth and quiet ride, and Lexus has the edge there.

So my biggest single concern is the bulk and maneuverability in tight spots. Pricing issues not important as they are similar.

Any advise?
Old 06-02-07, 10:14 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Some intangibles to think about:

1) Resale value (although it seems you like to keep cars a long time, so this may not matter to you)
2) Insurance cost differences between the two vehicles
3) Service (ease of, loaner cars, turn-around time)

Old 06-02-07, 10:35 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

My issue with Acura is the dealerships. $50k for a car and no guaranteed loaners and most dealerships look just like Honda dealerships. Not very upscale at all.
Old 06-02-07, 10:58 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Since size is the most important factor for you, 2007 MDX should be compared to GX than the RX. Look at official published interior space between MDX and GX and you see why it is bulkier.
I love Lexus service but loaner car is the most expensive rental car if one pays out of pocket service at the dealership. $90 for a dino oil change? Why would one drive twice to the dealership, burn gas, waste time, and pay for bulk recycled oil and made-in-Thailand oil filter?
Old 06-02-07, 11:05 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also, with the RX you get a touchscreen while on the MDX it's a **** IIRC, like the RL.
Old 06-02-07, 05:39 PM
steiner
Driver

Originally Posted by Roxpert
First time poster here on this forum. Trying to decide between these two vehicles.

I impressed with the new Acura MDX and like their technology better, but it's 6" wider and much longer, bad for a tight parking space at my office garage. I own a '99 RX 300 that's smaller and narrower yet, with 110k miles on it, so I trust Lexus. My wife wants a smooth and quiet ride, and Lexus has the edge there.

So my biggest single concern is the bulk and maneuverability in tight spots. Pricing issues not important as they are similar.

Any advise?
I was a very loyal Acura owner (the kind of sucker they want). I owned everything there was on the Acura lot - from the very first Integra in 1986 and never stop. I waited for a long time for the new MDX to replace my car but finally went with RX350.

To me, Acura has always been a "near luxury" car. It's almost there, but not quite. Everything, and I mean everything, is a little short. No matter what, fom the leather, to the "fake" wood trim, to the level of dealership services, everything is just a little short of satisfaction.

So after many years with 'good values", I got tired of that mentality and went with Lexus. And I think I am right, To compare with Acura, everything about Lexus is a little better.

Let's face it, at this level, it is seldom about the money anymore. It is about satisfaction.
Old 06-02-07, 06:08 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Locally the Acura and Lexus dealership have about the same level of customer service so that would be a wash for me at least. With the new MDX, I actually think it is a better car than the 04 RX330 I had. Fit and finish is a wash as well as they are both good, and both have some issues. The MDX would get my vote because it is more performance driven which is what I like. It seems like the width and length are an issue for you with the tight parking, so I would suggest the RX350.

I too was a happy Acura and also Lexus owner. I've owned 5 Acura's from the lowest Integra to the highest NSX and 3 Legend Coupes in between. I've also now owned 4 Lexus from the ES300 to the SC400 to the RX330 and still currently own a 99 LS400. I think Lexus over all has the luxury no question, but Acura does have better drivers cars. I thought my Acura cars of its era were fantastic and better than all my Lexus cars except for the LS400. The NSX of course has no comparison as that is the best car I've ever owned and will buy one again because if that

Between the MDX and RX, I think they are both very close in comparison with each slightly leap frogging the other as the new models come out. I thought the previous MDX was a better car than the RX300, but we bought the RX330 because I thought it was better over all than the previous MDX. Now the new MDX is better than the current RX350, but the new RX is due in a couple of years and I bet it will jump a head again. That is just my take on the two cars.
Old 06-02-07, 08:43 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Go for the RX! Good luck!
Old 06-02-07, 09:55 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

If you had no complaints with RX300's maneuvorability(sp?), you will never have problem with another vehicle. Size is another issue.

Both are good choices and you cant go wrong with either. Just make a list of things that are important to you and compare. RX should be easy to test as you can get a loaner for service. Just schedule service late in the day and on a weekend.

Salim
Old 06-02-07, 09:57 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

something to think about that i dont think nobody has mentioned...

the RX is due for a redesign next year as a 2009 model sold in 2008. If you buy an RX now, it will be outdated soon but the MDX is new now. I count this in when i buy cars, and even though im pro lexus on this, i dont think it would be wise to shell out 50 grand on something that will soon change.
Old 06-02-07, 10:10 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Link to a similar discussion thread
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=34072
Old 06-02-07, 11:00 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

I went round and round on this too. Ultimately it was a combination of size, dealer service, and an ~ $8k price difference that led me to the RX. Granted, there are some apples vs oranges in there - SH-AWD, for example. The best I can offer is to drive them both and weigh that with/against the dealer experience. That was huge for me - seeing how my wife has been treated at the Lexus store vs the Acura store (her last vehicle was a TSX). At the Lexus dealers in my area you're treated like royalty. If you buy an Acura you may as well be a radioactive leper.
Old 06-02-07, 11:20 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

Having driven both the new MDX and the RX350 extensively (I own a RX350 and have logged almost 20 hrs driving the new MDX) I really have to say that they are both excellent vehicles. Compared to the '06 MDX the '07 is much more solid and overall a more upscale vehicle. I really like the suspension in the MDX, there is a noticeable difference between comfort and sport modes, the comfort mode producing a ride akin to the RX350 and the sport a more X5 like ride.

I prefer the touch screen navigation in the RX350 and previous generation MDX to the new **** controlled unit, however the NavTraffic in the MDX is a really nice feature.

For maneuverability and driving dynamics they are pretty different, both are pretty maneuverable and I have had no issues with either, however I will say that the rear and side visibility in the MDX is not as good as the RX. I like the power of the MDX much more than the RX, I feel like it is a much more spirited driving experience.

The seats in the MDX are much more supportive than those in the RX. I feel that the RX has a more intuitively laid out interior and that the materials seem to be higher quality.

Also the option packages on the MDX are kind of weird, you can't get the power rear hatch (which is really convenient) unless you get rear DVD where as you don't have to get RSES on the RX to get the power rear door.

You really can't go wrong with either vehicle, they are both great.
Old 06-02-07, 11:52 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

RX 350 > MDX. The fussy **** on the MDX just turns me off. Don't get me wrong it is a nice looker outside though. The touch screen on the RX 350 just makes me smile. Let's not even talk about the interior the quality of the Lexus just feels much better somehow. Unless you don't mind the **** I think the MDX is a good car too, but the RX for me.
Old 06-03-07, 08:15 AM
cheap_deal
Driver

i somehow do not like the front grill of the MDX, reminds me of my Gillette razor.
i prefer the rx350 looks overall compared to the mdx, same goes for interior fit and finish. more power would be nice in the RX dosent everybody want more powerrrrrrrrrrrrrr??

Quick Reply: RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!