RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 04:07 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
Advantages Of Lexus:
-More Luxury
-Better Reliability (Lexus is typically more reliable than Acura and then throw in the fact that the RX350 is in it's last model year with all the problems worked out v. the MDX is fairly new = Lexus easily wins here)
-Better Fuel Economy (RX350 is best in class)
-Better Status (If you care)
-No 3rd row seat (Yes this is an advantage for some. It leads to a lighter vehicle. Lexus is 500lbs lighter than MDX. Better fuel economy. Exterior proportions are just a bit smaller making it easier to park and drive)
-Much better price (basically you are getting a higher status more luxurious vehicle for cheaper )
-Ride Quality (Lexus is like butter, the best if you want luxury)

Equal:
-Acceleration (both are equal, if anything the Lexus edges out the MDX)
-4WD (Both have an excellent system but I have heard the MDX SHAWD can work against you in the worst of conditions)
-Cargo Room (Lexus edges out the MDX)

Advantages of MDX:
-3rd row seat (although useless unless you are 10 years old or less)
-Handling (if you like stiffer and more sporty)

Kan-O-Z
I didn't read the thread, but have you personally compared the two vehicles? I drove both extensively before buying. The Acura is heavier, but it's also wider and longer. You never feel cramped in that thing. Taking the third-row out of the equation, there is ample cargo space and more rear passenger space in the MDX. Hauling four passengers around would be a breeze in the Acura, and not something I'd consider in the RX. From an interior packaging standpoint, Acura did great on this vehicle.

I found acceleration in the MDX to be stronger. It does have a 30hp advantage, albeit up high in the rev range. As mentioned, fuel economy in AWD versions is equal - which I would say is a disadvantage on behalf of the lighter, smaller, and slower RX. SH-AWD is outstanding. Simply comparing the performance of the two AWD systems, I'd go with Acura every time. My concern is with the reliability and durability of the system. I hadn't heard SH-AWD could be a detriment - I'd be interested to learn about that. Bottom line - I was amazed at how this vehicle handled in quick lane changes and in the twisties.

Luxury & features are a toss-up. The Acura has a sound system that equals the Mark Levinson, and their RSES has a bigger screen yet has less of an effect on the driver's rear view. And don't forget the heated rear seats. The RX, at least in the circles I roam, is known as Lexus' version of a cost leader. In other words, prestige goes with the GS, LS, and to some extent the IS, but not with the RX. I would agree that the fit & finish is better in the Lexus. As a detailing aficionado I also strongly prefer the quality of the exterior finish and trim. Price does come into play here. Even with the RSES, the Lexus is still ~ $5k less expensive than an MDX with Technology + Entertainment. The Lexus also has real wood, a wood/leather steering wheel, a wood shifter, and an auto-dimming rear view mirror. The fake wood/leather wheel & shift **** and the mirror are add-on accessories on the Acura...also adding to the cost difference.

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here - I just think it's important to be accurate in presenting information. Many of these things are subjective and should be represented as such.
Old 06-08-07, 05:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The newly re-design MDX year to date sales has gone up 7.1%, while the RX in its last year before re-design is sitting pretty at 5.5%. I think we can all guess where this trend is going when the new RX comes out. I have a friend who is a Acura salesman, he had mentioned to me that both the MDX and the RDX's sales number have been disappointing.
Old 06-08-07, 08:15 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

I have pretty good relationships with a local Acura salesman and the fellow who sold us both of our Lexus vehicles. Echo on the MDX. Although it's larger and far superior to the vehicle it replaced, I think it's priced a bit too high. They're effectively competing against Denali/Escalade, Navigator, and ze Germans. Even discounted, the MDX Sport I looked at, with the accessories I wanted (steering wheel, shift ****, rear view mirror) was just under $49k.

The RX, on the other hand...at least in the San Francisco west bay area, sells like hotcakes. One of the only things that made me think twice about this vehicle was how many of them are on the road. And, of that number, how many, like mine, are new and don't even have plates yet. Makes it easy to understand why Lexus isn't in a hurry to load this thing with more features.
Old 06-08-07, 10:00 AM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I have completed my study of this, the test drives, and my deliberation. Like any good juror in a trial, I have looked at the evidence on both sides. Here is what I believe are the most salient points and their importance (major or minor) to me...

Lexus 2008 AWD RX 350 advantages over MDX -

1. Smaller size easier to park - major
2. Ride is smoother and quieter - major
3. Looks are more sleek - major
4. Proven design in 5th year with kinks worked out - minor
5. Power liftgate comes standard - minor
6. Gas mileage probably 2 MPG better - minor
7. May be slightly more reliable and I trust Lexus - minor
8. Comes with auto-dimming defogging side view mirrors, unlike MDX - minor
9. Comes with auto-dimming rearview mirror, extra on MDX - minor
10.Rear camera probably a little better and quicker - minor
11.Extra thick windshield laminated for soundproofing - minor
12.Better materials like real wood, thicker sheet metal, thicker clear coat - minor

Acura 2007 MDX advantages over RX -

1. Size/safety features makes it slightly safer - major
2. The latest technology: handling with SH-AWD and gadgets - major
3. Slightly more comfortable front seat - minor
4. XM factory installed - minor
5. MP3 jack factory installed - minor
6. Sport package active damper suspension w/ perforated seats available - minor
7. Navigation system and voice command system probably better - minor
8. Stereo system with Tech or Sport package is superior - minor
9.More controls on the steering wheel - minor
10.Equivalent "Technology" package about $2k less - minor
11.Newer design will keep this model looking fresher longer - minor
12.Fewer of these on the road, so they turn heads - minor

For the poster who said the MDX Sport package is $49k, that's not what I've found here in Colorado. The best offer I have is $800 over invoice of $42,004, or $42,804. I can also get the Tech package for $800 over invoice, or $40,903.

Having said that, my deliberation has concluded that the RX 350 better suits my needs than the MDX, though I really like the latter's technology. I can get the RX locally for $1,000 over invoice or maybe slightly better, so that's what I believe I'll end up doing. Lexus by a whisker!
Old 06-08-07, 11:15 AM
steiner
Driver

When most everything is equal, the choice between two cars might be simpler than you think. You just need to answer the question:

"In which car you want to be seen?"

That's the car you should go with.

Luke, trust your instinct.... Turn the targeting computer off.... Pull the trigger... and get the hell out of the Death Star.

(Hey, I just watch the Star Wars thing on the History channel. It brought back so many memories....)
Old 06-08-07, 11:22 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Go with LEXUS, the name stands for itself, at least for now and the next 2 to 3 years.
Old 06-08-07, 11:35 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Roxpert, I think I'm the poster. And I wasn't clear enough - sorry about that. I meant sport + entertainment + interior accessories & installation. I got down to brass tacks with one dealer, and came close with a second (to keep the first one honest) and the best price was $48,780. Granted, this was in March. I see on carsdirect.com that the prices appear to have dropped by ~ $1,500...seems to support prior posts about these units not selling well.

When you mention fuel economy, are you comparing the FWD Lexus? From everything I've seen and read, the 17/22mpg figures are identical on the MDX and AWD RX. I only put about 35 miles on an MDX, but it was a demo unit with nearly 1,100 miles on the clock...not entirely fresh. I was seeing 21mpg in attempts to mirror my everyday driving habits. Thus far in my RX (400 miles on the clock now) I'm seeing 22.3. I'd expect that number to grow a bit, so perhaps real-world numbers would favor the RX.

The only other thing I can think of is the rear view camera. I'd actually favor the Acura. I can't say for sure, but I believe the screen is 1" bigger in the Acura, and the camera is centered, not offset to the driver's side as on the RX. Certainly a minor detail in any case.
Old 06-08-07, 09:29 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
I found acceleration in the MDX to be stronger. It does have a 30hp advantage, albeit up high in the rev range. As mentioned, fuel economy in AWD versions is equal - which I would say is a disadvantage on behalf of the lighter, smaller, and slower RX.
The RX350 is one of the first vehicles to be placed under a new standardized EPA measurement system. Basically just like the same story that happend with SAE horsepower ratings is now happening with fuel economy. This system was set in place so manufacturers didn't put best case scenarios on the fuel economy, but rather more realistic figures. What does all this mean?

Last year the RX350 was rated 20/25. This year under the NEW system, it is rated 17/22. Please note that the RX350 is one of the first vehicles to be put under this new standard. The MDX on the other hand is still on the old 'best case scenario' standard. So NO, the fuel economy is NOT the same. The RX350 is better by at least 3mpg. Please compare fuel economies under the same standard. I personally have hit the best case scenario in my RX350 AWD. I have achieved 25mpg on the highway with an average speed of 75mph according to the computer.

You never feel cramped in that thing. Taking the third-row out of the equation, there is ample cargo space and more rear passenger space in the MDX. Hauling four passengers around would be a breeze in the Acura, and not something I'd consider in the RX.
I am not going to list the specs here for you but please look at rear seat leg room and look at total cargo room. You might be quite surprised. Both the rear seat leg room and cargo is MORE on the Lexus. This completely makes sense. The third row seats sacrifice space. They decrease the 2nd row leg room and ultimate cargo room. Yes they can fold flat but that is space right there on the floor that is being compromised. If the MDX did not have 3rd row seats, I would be willing to bet the leg room and cargo would be greater than Lexus. This is why I do not like 3rd row seats. They are a waste of space, money, and weight and do not accomodate anyone older than 10 years. If you are serious about third row, a minivan will blow away any of these dinky 3rd row suvs.

I found acceleration in the MDX to be stronger. It does have a 30hp advantage, albeit up high in the rev range.
Okay I looked up this spec for you. RX350 0-60 is 6.8 seconds.
http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...xus-rx350.html
I've seen the MDX rated anywhere from 7.2-7.5 seconds. Yes I have also seen the RX350 in that range as well. The point to this is that the MDX is NOT faster than the RX. The MDX may feel faster as Lexus tends to subdue everything in their cars like road noise, engine noise and exhaust noise(which is a plus if you are looking for a serene environment). As a matter of fact, many feel the Lexus is peppier off the line since it's lighter and the engine doesn't need to be revved as much as the MDX to get all the horses out. I know the MDX has more hp but the extra 500lbs takes away that advantage. Perhaps you should drive them again, maybe you had a slow example or perhaps the RX wasn't fully broken in yet.

Kan-O-Z

Last edited by Kan-O-Z; 06-08-07 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-08-07, 09:35 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Roxpert, I think I'm the poster. And I wasn't clear enough - sorry about that. I meant sport + entertainment + interior accessories & installation. I got down to brass tacks with one dealer, and came close with a second (to keep the first one honest) and the best price was $48,780. Granted, this was in March. I see on carsdirect.com that the prices appear to have dropped by ~ $1,500...seems to support prior posts about these units not selling well.

When you mention fuel economy, are you comparing the FWD Lexus? From everything I've seen and read, the 17/22mpg figures are identical on the MDX and AWD RX. I only put about 35 miles on an MDX, but it was a demo unit with nearly 1,100 miles on the clock...not entirely fresh. I was seeing 21mpg in attempts to mirror my everyday driving habits. Thus far in my RX (400 miles on the clock now) I'm seeing 22.3. I'd expect that number to grow a bit, so perhaps real-world numbers would favor the RX.

The only other thing I can think of is the rear view camera. I'd actually favor the Acura. I can't say for sure, but I believe the screen is 1" bigger in the Acura, and the camera is centered, not offset to the driver's side as on the RX. Certainly a minor detail in any case.
These cars will not reach their best fuel economy until about 5,000 miles where they are completely broken in. The RX350 is on a new EPA system and the MDX is on the 'old' system. The RX350 on the 'old' system was 20/25 which is much better than MDX.
Old 06-08-07, 09:44 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Roxpert
OK, I have completed my study of this, the test drives, and my deliberation. Like any good juror in a trial, I have looked at the evidence on both sides. Here is what I believe are the most salient points and their importance (major or minor) to me...

Lexus 2008 AWD RX 350 advantages over MDX -

1. Smaller size easier to park - major
2. Ride is smoother and quieter - major
3. Looks are more sleek - major
4. Proven design in 5th year with kinks worked out - minor
5. Power liftgate comes standard - minor
6. Gas mileage probably 2 MPG better - minor
7. May be slightly more reliable and I trust Lexus - minor
8. Comes with auto-dimming defogging side view mirrors, unlike MDX - minor
9. Comes with auto-dimming rearview mirror, extra on MDX - minor
10.Rear camera probably a little better and quicker - minor
11.Extra thick windshield laminated for soundproofing - minor
12.Better materials like real wood, thicker sheet metal, thicker clear coat - minor

Acura 2007 MDX advantages over RX -

1. Size/safety features makes it slightly safer - major
2. The latest technology: handling with SH-AWD and gadgets - major
3. Slightly more comfortable front seat - minor
4. XM factory installed - minor
5. MP3 jack factory installed - minor
6. Sport package active damper suspension w/ perforated seats available - minor
7. Navigation system and voice command system probably better - minor
8. Stereo system with Tech or Sport package is superior - minor
9.More controls on the steering wheel - minor
10.Equivalent "Technology" package about $2k less - minor
11.Newer design will keep this model looking fresher longer - minor
12.Fewer of these on the road, so they turn heads - minor

For the poster who said the MDX Sport package is $49k, that's not what I've found here in Colorado. The best offer I have is $800 over invoice of $42,004, or $42,804. I can also get the Tech package for $800 over invoice, or $40,903.

Having said that, my deliberation has concluded that the RX 350 better suits my needs than the MDX, though I really like the latter's technology. I can get the RX locally for $1,000 over invoice or maybe slightly better, so that's what I believe I'll end up doing. Lexus by a whisker!
We absolutely love ours. I love the way it looks, the way it feels and I love the fact that it's a Lexus which is a true luxury status name. I truly think that Lexus build quality and reliability is the best in the world. It also has tons of power and great fuel economy. Also don't downplay the fact that the Lexus in more reliable (which you noted is minor).

You'll be very pleased. The RX is the innovator of crossover SUV. It's the original. It's the class leader. It's the one everyone wants to knock down. They keep trying but I don't think they've accomplished

Now wait till the RX460 V8 comes out soon!

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-08-07, 10:36 PM
GoodDrivin
Driver School Candidate

What do you think we'll recommend in an rx350 forum? Really it should't even be that hard of a choice. If you need more than 5 seats go mdx. If you like the way the car looks inside and out, go for the mdx. If you like a very sporty car ride, go for the mdx. If the above doesn't fit you, then go for the rx350. I have the awd version and love the rx350. All this stuff about tranny and such, I don't think you will really notice it that much. The car really kinda just floats along.
Old 06-09-07, 12:16 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They decrease the 2nd row leg room and ultimate cargo room. Yes they can fold flat but that is space right there on the floor that is being compromised. If the MDX did not have 3rd row seats, I would be willing to bet the leg room and cargo would be greater than Lexus.
This must be a mis-statement, the fact is
With 3rd row seat, 2007 MDX's 2nd row legroom 38.7" is already 2.3" better than RX350's rear seat legroom 36.4". Headroom is equal @38.6". Again shoulder room MDX's 2nd row is already 4" bigger than RX350's rear seat.

MDX's 3rd row seat has more shoulder and leg room than the GX, it even has more legroom than the LX. So if MDX's 3rd row seat is dinky, might as well include all SUVs offered in Lexus' line-up on that dinky list.

A mini van? Folks talk about styling of RX and MDX, but either one is miles ahead of the styling of a mini van, which has not made any change in the last 10 years.

Innovation is a proper description when RX was first launched 9 years ago, it WAS the innovative SUV because it was the first to drive like a car.
Fast forward to 2007, is there ANY innovative feature/component in RX350 that is Lexus leading, let alone industry leading? Lexus has made the RX product a market follower by design, not because it does not have the ability but simply wants to milk the cow until it is dry to the bone. This is not a negative comment but I am just stating a fact.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 06-09-07 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-09-07, 11:15 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
These cars will not reach their best fuel economy until about 5,000 miles where they are completely broken in. The RX350 is on a new EPA system and the MDX is on the 'old' system. The RX350 on the 'old' system was 20/25 which is much better than MDX.
I think I stressed the point at least twice that I expected mileage to improve...which would apply to both cars.

Regarding the different standards - show me what I'm missing.
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/

The '07 RX loaner I drove for a day had the sticker in the glove box. Know what the EPA estimates were? 17/22. Same as my '08. Same as the '07 MDX. 17/22 is 17/22. There's no smoke & mirrors there....they're on the same system. If the EPA says they take effect for the '08 model year, there's no difference on the RX. Real world mileage varies...for everyone. You get 25mpg. Good for you. I drive in hills & traffic and don't expect that.

Feel free to quote specs all you like. Acceleration, like fuel economy, can vary. All I said was the MDX felt faster. By quoted specs, I'm obviously wrong. But have you sat in one or driven one? If so, you certainly wouldn't be spouting rear seat & cargo room. There's simply no contest. Take the third row out of the equation - always folded down both the passenger and cargo room is just large.

Honestly, I can't believe I wasted so much time on this. I bought an RX, I love it, and my only real theme in this thread was to be sure to compare the vehicles on their respective merits...many of which are subjective and relative. It's what I did, and it's what I believe is the only way to make an accurate comparison. Anyone can look up specs in a book, it's spending time with/in the vehicle(s) that matters. So - I won't bother anyone with further posts in this thread.

Last edited by VroomVroom; 06-09-07 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Removed repeated sentence
Old 06-09-07, 11:59 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

EPA link indicated above showed the new EPA that will take affect for model year 2008 vehicles produced after September 1, 2007.

Here is the new label from EPA

Compare to the current EPA label

How is 2007 RX350 follows the new EPA fuel standard when 9/1/07 is not here yet? If Lexus took the lead, any link showing so or a picture of the new label?
Old 06-09-07, 09:20 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Regarding the different standards - show me what I'm missing.
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/

The '07 RX loaner I drove for a day had the sticker in the glove box. Know what the EPA estimates were? 17/22. Same as my '08. Same as the '07 MDX. 17/22 is 17/22. There's no smoke & mirrors there....they're on the same system. If the EPA says they take effect for the '08 model year, there's no difference on the RX. Real world mileage varies...for everyone. You get 25mpg. Good for you. I drive in hills & traffic and don't expect that.
Would you like for me to scan my window sticker of my 2007 RX350? It clearly says in big bold letters 20/25. Sometimes when standards are changed, it's not obvious to the consumer...but that doesn't mean that it's not true.

Did you notice that in 2005/2006, many cars 'lost' horsepower. The Acura TL was a great example. It went from 270hp to 258hp. Did the car actually lose hp? NO. It was just a new SAE standard which eliminated manufacturers from skewing the numbers. Many Japanese cars 'lost' hp under the new system and many American cars 'gained' hp.

Well the same has happened with fuel economy which I'm glad. The RX took the lead in getting on the new standard. I expect the MDX to drop to 15/20 on the new system.

Kan-O-Z

Quick Reply: RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!