RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 350 versus MDX.....can't decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 03:10 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RXSF, we looked and looked at all the keys. I don't think it's on the valet (grey) key, but I'll check again when I get home. As for the roof rack, we are already getting used to it, but not sure I agree that the RX is "ugly" without them.
Old 06-19-07, 05:18 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you like the look of MDX, you shall be fine. Car magazines gave MDX good reviews on its nimbleness around town. I am just not a fan of the new MDX while I almost bought a last generation MDX (three dealers rejected my offers… LOL)
Old 06-19-07, 05:57 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Roxpert
RXSF, we looked and looked at all the keys. I don't think it's on the valet (grey) key, but I'll check again when I get home. As for the roof rack, we are already getting used to it, but not sure I agree that the RX is "ugly" without them.
Do replacment keys need to come directly from Lexus? If so, can you ask them if anyone has ever put in an order for a key for you vehicle? If no one has, maybe from this point you could have them put a comment on your account that they need to contact you before processing any new key orders for verification.
Old 06-19-07, 07:15 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

Great suggestion, JimsGX. We'll check with Lexus customer service.

Today, we spoke to the GM of the Lexus dealership. He put our minds at some ease by explaining the dual layer security system. The key number plate has a 5-digit code that is the instruction of how to laser-cut the key. In addition, a rolling encryption system with the key's chip is used. He also told us how difficult (and secure) it is to get a new key made. You have to be at the dealership with the car, and prove you are the owner of the vehicle in order to order and get the key. Apparently, only the Lexus factory can authorize the making of the key.

If all this is true, I'm probably safe. The GM thought the "dog tag" (as he refers to the key number plate) may have fallen off the flimsy wire key ring which holds it in place. The risk to us is very remote in his opinion, with a "99.999% chance" we will be safe.

Of course, if he were to change the laser cut (coding), all locks and keys would need to be physically altered, a $1,200 to $1,500 job. Obviously, he wouldn't want to absorb such cost, nor does he think it's needed. Maybe I'm gullible, but I think he's probably right.

On a separate note, am I ever glad I have the RX instead of the MDX now. Parking the RX in my space is a challenge, and I have to go really slow and carefully to "thread the needle" in my space. That's because this RX is 6 inches longer and an inch wider than my old RX 300. I can only imagine the difficulty of parking the MDX there as it's another 4 inches in length and 6 inches wider than my new RX. I made the right choice, for this reason alone!

Last edited by Roxpert; 06-19-07 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-20-07, 02:03 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great suggestion, JimsGX. We'll check with Lexus customer service.

Today, we spoke to the GM of the Lexus dealership. He put our minds at some ease by explaining the dual layer security system. The key number plate has a 5-digit code that is the instruction of how to laser-cut the key. In addition, a rolling encryption system with the key's chip is used. He also told us how difficult (and secure) it is to get a new key made. You have to be at the dealership with the car, and prove you are the owner of the vehicle in order to order and get the key. Apparently, only the Lexus factory can authorize the making of the key.

If all this is true, I'm probably safe. The GM thought the "dog tag" (as he refers to the key number plate) may have fallen off the flimsy wire key ring which holds it in place. The risk to us is very remote in his opinion, with a "99.999% chance" we will be safe.
Personally, I think you will be perfectly safe because I too believe it just fell off, and if someone were to find it they really wouldn't know what to do with it. Unless it was someone who worked at Lexus that knew which car it came from and was a criminal themselves. The tag itself just has numbers on it so jJoe Shmoe wouldn't know what manufacturer, let alone what type of car it came from.

That said, what the GM told you is mostly true. You can order a new key from a Lexus dealer online like the Club Lexus Vendor Sewell Lexus. You will need to provide them with proof of ownership before they cut the key for you however. You do not need to go to a physical dealership in person to obtain a new key. Programming instructions for the ECU transponder immobilizer is all over the internet, so a dealer doesn't have to do the programming for you. You could do it yourself as many Club Lexus members have done for themselves already.

You don't need Lexus approval to have a key cut. Any local locksmith that can cut these types of keys can do it. They can even program it for you. Obviously, they should, as a legitimate business be certain the customer has legitimate ownership of the vehicle, but you never know.

If someone were to get the key cut, your car itself would be safe if the transponder is not programmed in. This means your car will not start, and probably the remote door locks will not open. However, you can still stick the key in the key hole on the drivers side and open the doors manually. This will keep your car from being started and stolen, but will not keep the contents in your car safe.

Now, I didn't write this to scare you, but this type of information has been all over the internet and even in topics right here on CL, so it is not anything new.
Old 06-20-07, 07:59 AM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

CK6Speed, you know a lot more about this than I do, and I thank you for your reassuring words. I think my and my wife's minds are at ease after researching this issue, speaking to the GM, and reading yours and other's comments. My wife is still upset at the salesperson, though, for not being upfront with us and claiming that the flat key wallet card IS the key number plate. The GM also acknowledged that the salespeople see these "dog tags" (as he calls them) all the time as usually they don't fall off their rings and are given to the buyers. So the explanation first given to us by the salesperson was, simply put, inexplicable! And that really made my wife suspicous.

Anyway, I will move on and not let this issue linger in the back of my mind. As the GM said, we have a better chance of getting hit by a bus than having this misplaced key number plate burn us in the future.
Old 06-20-07, 05:57 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations and enjoy your beautiful RX!

I looked at the MDX and almost test drove one when I was looking at the RL. I was actually more interested in the MDX than the RL. But sadly, the only MDX for test drive was dead... That and previous experience with Acura just made me not to go back again.
Old 06-20-07, 08:37 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

To each their own ... I made the move from an '05 RX 330 to an '07 Acura MDX and am glad I did. More usable space, more well-thought out features and technology ... a little bigger, but not overly so ... REALLY appreciate the larger cargo area especially.

They really are two different beasts ... if you want a soft ride and don't need as much room (3rd row seat or not) the Lexus will do you ... I didn't really need more room especially, but am happy with the MDX.
Old 06-21-07, 09:12 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

On a separate note, am I ever glad I have the RX instead of the MDX now. Parking the RX in my space is a challenge, and I have to go really slow and carefully to "thread the needle" in my space. That's because this RX is 6 inches longer and an inch wider than my old RX 300. I can only imagine the difficulty of parking the MDX there as it's another 4 inches in length and 6 inches wider than my new RX. I made the right choice, for this reason alone!
You'll appreciate your RX even more once you spend a lot of time in it or go on trip. It's so luxurious, smooth, quiet and comfortable that you don't feel beat up or tired or annoyed at the end of the day. A great SUV!

Kan-O-Z
Old 06-21-07, 10:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you need more space, the MDX is the way to go. Althought I would stay away from any Acura/Honda 1st year trucks or minvans, they just dont have a good track record from the pass re-designs.
Kan-o-z, I know what you mean. The biggest problem I have with Lexus and driving long distance is staying awake, its just too comfortable and quiet on the highway.