RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What resets the "Trip Info" data?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-07, 12:19 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Default What resets the "Trip Info" data?

I have a few questions on the NAV's "Trip Info" screen...
  1. What causes the top portion to be reset? If it is when you fill up with gasoline, how does it know? Is it when the filler door is opened? Is there a sensor as to when the tank is full?
  2. When is the bottom half of that screen reset? Is it every time the engine is stopped and restarted? Is there a "grace period", meaning the engine has to be off for a certain amount of time before it gets reset on the next startup?
Thanks!
Old 05-13-07, 08:54 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I believe there's a sensor somewhere other than opening the gas tank. I've tried this and the count still doesn't reset. Since there is a gas gauge, I think the sensor just simply monitors the amount of gas and calculates the range.

2. Yes, each time the engine is stopped, this timer resets. I haven't tested to see if there are grace periods. Perhaps this is something you can provide to us!
Old 05-13-07, 09:04 AM
TWQ83
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXOwner
  1. What causes the top portion to be reset? If it is when you fill up with gasoline, how does it know? Is it when the filler door is opened? Is there a sensor as to when the tank is full?
  2. When is the bottom half of that screen reset? Is it every time the engine is stopped and restarted? Is there a "grace period", meaning the engine has to be off for a certain amount of time before it gets reset on the next startup?
Thanks!
RX Owner,

There are 4 sensors in the gas tank ...... one for the VVTi, one for the Range indicator, one for the Fuel Level indicator and one for the reset mode. The re-set will work with both the fuel level indicator and the fuel release cap button......... when the level in the tank hits a certain mark ( no one could tell me at what level that is except less then an 1/8th of a tank ) and the fuel cap release button is pressed ....... Automatic reset.

The time reset will give you a grace period of about 90 seconds before it reset automaticlly, I'm also having them check into if the grace period is overridden by maybe locking the car, activation of the alarm/security system, or something of that nature!!!!

Good question and I'll let you know if I hear anything else on the subject........
Old 05-13-07, 12:22 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TWQ83
The time reset will give you a grace period of about 90 seconds before it reset automaticlly, I'm also having them check into if the grace period is overridden by maybe locking the car, activation of the alarm/security system, or something of that nature!!!!

Good question and I'll let you know if I hear anything else on the subject........
Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is that, on a previous Jetta that I owned, the time reset would give you a grace period of about 30 minutes. This was helpful when on a long trip, you could stop (to get a quick bite to eat, use the restroom, or simply fill your gas tank) while maintaining your trip metrics for the whole trip, not just from stop to stop.
Old 05-13-07, 02:17 PM
lbc99
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Thanks!
My Mercedes would hold the trip data for three hours after the car was turned off before resetting. It looks to me that the average speed and distance reset after you restart the vehicle. I have not noted a grace period yet. However, it seems to hold the data from the last trip until you start the vehicle. You can look at the trip info screen without starting the engine anytime and it will continue to show average speed and distance traveled before you turned the ignition and engine off, it appears.