RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How to remove roofrack cross bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 12:02 PM
coolhand
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove roofrack cross bar?

does anyone know how to remove roofrack cross bars?
Pix would be nice... thanks
Old 03-28-07, 01:18 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have to slide them our through the rear. You remove the rear end caps by sliding them toward the rear of the car. This is not easy to do, but with enough force it will slide out. What you will notice is there is a yellow (Maybe a different color) plastic push tab that is left on the rail that slide off the end caps. You will need to remove this plastic tab from the rail and reattach it to the end cap when you put the cover back. Once the end caps are removed, you can see a set screw on the rail that holds the sliding rails from coming out. Back that set screw out then the sliding rails will just slide right out.
Old 06-05-07, 10:01 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but...

I'm probably a weakling, but I couldn't get either of the rear caps to move far enough. I separated them a little, but after that they wouldn't budge. Is there a better way, aside from eating my spinach before trying again? Did you do this solely by hand, or was there some other leverage used? Thanks in advance...
Old 06-05-07, 10:20 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but...

I'm probably a weakling, but I couldn't get either of the rear caps to move far enough. I separated them a little, but after that they wouldn't budge. Is there a better way, aside from eating my spinach before trying again? Did you do this solely by hand, or was there some other leverage used? Thanks in advance...
I stuck a screwdriver in there I would suggest you perhaps wrap the tip with a cloth so you don't scratch the plastic caps. Anyway,
Old 06-06-07, 07:26 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

This must feel like you're walking a child through tieing his shoes, but could you tell where you stuck the screwdriver? Just in the gap between the main rail and end cap after loosening by hand? Thanks....I appreciate the help.
Old 06-06-07, 10:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is a installation procedure for the RAV4's roof rack, its the same as the RX. The prictures will show you where the clips are.

http://rav4world.com/tsb/2006/PD079-05.pdf

Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
pguerin (02-24-17)
Old 06-06-07, 04:27 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Awesome - thank you! That definitely helps. I'll take another crack at it tonight.
Old 06-06-07, 07:10 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Bada boom... After my mulligan, this was surprisingly easy. A little wiggle action while pulling toward the rear and the end caps come right off. One 8mm screw per side and the cross bars slide right off. Thanks for the great advice, folks.
Old 06-07-07, 12:29 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Did you have to use a screwdriver to pry it off?
Old 06-07-07, 01:39 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Nope. Just twist a bit while directing it toward the back of the car. Comes off quite easily and goes back on even more quickly. On my second attempt this was a five-minute mod, and that included getting and putting away tools and finding a spot in the garage for the bars.
Old 06-19-07, 06:06 PM
pizzama2
Driver School Candidate

Default loose roof rack

Does anybody notice if their roof rack cross members on their 2007 rx400h or 350 is loose? On mine they wobble up and down and make a thumping noise, especially when turning.
Old 06-19-07, 06:15 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Post pics of no racks...we'll take a look if it really makes a difference.
Old 07-05-07, 09:50 PM
javanutsy
Rookie

Awesome 'mod'. I think RX without the crossbars looks a little less utility and a bit more sporty... Thanks for the instructions.

Here's a quick pic:
Attached Thumbnails How to remove roofrack cross bar?-rxnocrossbar.jpg  
Old 07-05-07, 10:25 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Looks just like mine, except you have a way-cool license plate and I have a goofy XM antenna on the left side of the roof.

For me the best thing about removing the bars isn't the cosmetic effect, but rather how easy it is to wash, dry, & wax the roof.
Old 07-06-07, 06:35 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
Looks just like mine, except you have a way-cool license plate and I have a goofy XM antenna on the left side of the roof.

For me the best thing about removing the bars isn't the cosmetic effect, but rather how easy it is to wash, dry, & wax the roof.
You have a good point on the ease of cleaning and waxing without the cross bars. Mine is stuck and will not budge. This is actually covered by a TSB, looks like the early 04's had a bum crossbar. They will replace if you complain. I would like it out because I think it adds to the noise. I would get it replaced first, so it is a breeze to remove. The antenna will look very odd, without the crossbars, from looking at the picture.

Quick Reply: How to remove roofrack cross bar?