RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

UPDATE: 07 RX 350 Surges / "Push" When Breaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 04:44 PM
steiner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
try doing this......when you are at a stop light accelerate when it turns green not too hard......when the speed is getting higher, suppose you need to slow down.....let go of the gas pedal and instead of the car just slowly decelerating like it should the car will abruptly let the power go....kind of like a rubber band snapping.
Would this happen on all cars or just a small number of cars? I tried mine last weedend and didn't notice (fingers crossed) the problem.
Old 03-20-07, 05:44 PM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by steiner
Would this happen on all cars or just a small number of cars? I tried mine last weedend and didn't notice (fingers crossed) the problem.

Your laughing then. Not sure about your question, or maybe some are in denial
Old 03-20-07, 06:59 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jednav
Accelerate your vehicle say to 75mph. Let go of the gas pedal. Vehicle will naturally slow down, but as it downshifts to 2nd or 1st gear (not sure), the RX will move forward or surge or push by itself as it further slows down. Remember your foot is off the gas pedal.
FWIW: I drove an RX350 loaner in the similar condition, but didn't experience any surge or push. Hope your dealer find a solution.
Old 03-20-07, 11:35 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is only doing the latter, which is more critical since you're trying to stop the vehicle.

i remember my 01 honda accord vtec was doing that too. could it be the new generation of 5 speed tranny?
the tech at the dealer suggested that this condition is due to the car being a front wheel drive based car. which i find funny cuz ive driven front wheel drive cars that do not have this problem. The audi A4 which i drove fairly recently does not have this problem, same with the TL s-type.
Old 03-24-07, 02:54 PM
jednav
Driver

Like I posted in the hybrid forum, upon legal advisement, I've stated in black and white my concerns with the dealership, who was gracious enough to acknowledge my email and will get in touch with me this coming week.
Old 03-24-07, 03:36 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by geko29
Don't mean to be daft, but automatic trasmissions (with the exception of SMG/DSG trannies) don't have clutches.....
As far as I know all automatic transmissions have clutches. I am not 100% sure about the transmission on my RX400H but I am almost sure it has a clutch
Old 03-25-07, 08:46 PM
notme
Driver School Candidate

Default Surge

Jednav, I have noticed this on my 2004 Rx330 also. I took my car in after I purchased it used in January. I was told that the "memory" from the previous owner needed to be cleared from the computer and then my car would memorize my driving habits and the problem would be fixed. This was done about three weeks ago. My car surges bad enough to concern me when I am parking in the garage. I have not noticed it at high speeds, but the low speed surge is worrisome.

Nancy
Old 03-26-07, 08:44 AM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by notme
Jednav, I have noticed this on my 2004 Rx330 also. I took my car in after I purchased it used in January. I was told that the "memory" from the previous owner needed to be cleared from the computer and then my car would memorize my driving habits and the problem would be fixed. This was done about three weeks ago. My car surges bad enough to concern me when I am parking in the garage. I have not noticed it at high speeds, but the low speed surge is worrisome.

Nancy

A mind reading transmission . Sorry, just couldn't help it.
I'd suggest putting your concerns in black and white, for future reference. I'm sure it will come handy for whatever situation you may encounter.
Old 03-26-07, 11:47 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

A mind reading transmission . Sorry, just couldn't help it.
I'd suggest putting your concerns in black and white, for future reference. I'm sure it will come handy for whatever situation you may encounter.
What she said really does make sense. Car have taken advantage of the power of computers have te computer programed to remember the way you drive. After a period of time the computer will know if you drive with a heavy or light foot on the gas and brake. The computer will then adjust its shift points to the RPMs that fit your driving style. I hope you didn't dismiss the comment as being silly because it was written by a lady, but in this case the ladys knows more about the car than you do. Computers in cars have been around for quite a while and this is one of the benefits of having a car that remembers your driving style.
Old 03-26-07, 09:02 PM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by silvervett
What she said really does make sense. Car have taken advantage of the power of computers have te computer programed to remember the way you drive. After a period of time the computer will know if you drive with a heavy or light foot on the gas and brake. The computer will then adjust its shift points to the RPMs that fit your driving style. I hope you didn't dismiss the comment as being silly because it was written by a lady, but in this case the ladys knows more about the car than you do. Computers in cars have been around for quite a while and this is one of the benefits of having a car that remembers your driving style.

Gender has nothing to do with my comment, and the silliness is directed to the dealer not the poster.

Now, apparently you believe in the know-it-all computer system, and that's fine by me. But please do not be judgemental to me or to anyone who may have a different perspective than yourself.

Last edited by jednav; 03-28-07 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-26-07, 09:31 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

you know what i find funny about all of this? Lexus has admitted that the surging is a problem in the RX model. Some cars have it some probably don't. Instead of helping people to identify the problem or what they should look for, you people keep taking cheap shots at each other. FACT is the car does have this problem to which lexus has not adquately attempted to fix it.
Old 03-27-07, 02:21 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, the RX as well as many newer cars do have "Learning" transmissions, but that is more for shifting patterns and shift points. This is not the problem. Personally, I think learning transmissions are useless unless you are the only one driving the car. Between my wife and I we both drove the RX and both have very different driving patterns. I don't see how the tranny can learn and adopt fast enough when it says it can take a few days. And how it remembers two different driving patterns is beyond me as well.
Old 03-27-07, 09:43 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Gender has nothing to do with my comment, and the silliness is direct to the dealer not the poster.

Now, apparently you believe in the know-it-all computer system, and that's fine by me. But please do not be judgemental to me or to anyone who may have a different perspective than yourself.
I am new to this forum and want to make it clear that I am not here to stir up any poop or cause problems. I made the comment because I thought you were being dismissive and being judgemental toward the woman that made the comment and were disputing the fact that learning transmissions exist. apparently we both misinterpreted each others comments. I apologize for any misunderstanding

PS as far as the learning transmission being the cause of the surging I doubt that the service person's diagnosis, but I really don't have the knowledge or training that the service person has and although I remain skeptical of his comment but I am unable to counter it with facts
Old 03-29-07, 04:52 PM
jednav
Driver

Like I posted in the hybrid forum, upon legal advisement, I've stated in black and white my concerns with the dealership, who was gracious enough to acknowledge my email and will get in touch with me this coming week.
So, I got the call today and the top honcho will address my concerns on Monday, April 2nd.

The 2 top concerns I have identified are: the surging at low speed, and the lag time in acceleration from stop (1st gear tranny, I suspect).

Since, my RX350 has only 2500 kms. I welcome any comments or concerns from owners with 350's on issues I could raise with the technician.
Old 03-29-07, 10:54 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i dobut there is anything the dealer can do to fix it. all they will do is try and reprogram your ecu and little things but they cant fix it and they know it. they wont admit that though.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: 07 RX 350 Surges / "Push" When Breaking