RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Replacing the OEM battery in the RX330

Old 11-11-11, 11:27 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Are you sure? Do not remember spending anything near that. Thought it was around $90 with tax. Perhaps on sale at that time and the reason for my purchase then.
Maybe you are right.
Old 11-13-11, 07:33 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gusar
Yeah,
The worst thing is to stuck somewhere with a dead battery. The cost of a battery doesn't justify the risk taken.
Regarding quality - Lexus battery is better, but price is worse.
I had mine replaced by Lexus because it didn't start and I had no time to look for Costco or other replacement. Was really expensive (with labour) though.
You guys don't have an battery jump starter? I always keep on in the back...just in case. It is really handy if I have to give someone else a jump, as I do not have to actually connect their dead car to mine.

Cheap insurance.
Old 11-28-11, 12:57 PM
shoebopper
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a related question for the battery gurus around here. Who made the OEM battery for the 2006 RX330? The unit I bought, although used, has a Delphi battery in it. I've ready many posts here indicating a Panasonic battery was OEM. In any case, it wasn't branded as a Lexus or Toyota True Start.

Why do I ask? When I had the recall work (master cylinder/floor mat) done a couple of weeks ago, the dealership ran the usual inspection/diagnostics stuff and determined the battery had a dying cell (didn't pass load test). Since this wasn't a Toyota factory battery, or at least I didn't think it was, I was willing to go back to the dealer I bought it from to find out if they put it in (it was a GM dealership). Warranties are warranties and I have only had this for two years.

Curously, upon inspection, the battery also had a code on it that I saw listed for a Totoya battery on a Toyota chart (something like 80D26L). I have not seen that on any other battery I have looked at.

Looking for answers!

And another thing...
Sent off an e-mail to Lexus Customer Service to see if they could tell me who made the battery for the Canada-made RX's. I think it should have at least had a Toyota/Lexus branded battery in it...but who knows. The battery the dealership offered to sell me was made by Interstate...but apparently had a Lexus sticker on it. The service manager told me it was made by Interstate about six times. I didn't buy it...probably get a DieHard.

Last edited by shoebopper; 11-29-11 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Updated Info
Old 11-28-11, 01:21 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I replaced the battery in my '04 RX in November of 2007. I did the replacement myself, so there was no labor charge. The Dealership Parts Dept. charged me $123.00, and I believe the battery said Panasonic on it. I looked at the receipt and it says GR24F, which may be a size designation or something. It's a pretty big strong heavy battery, and is still going fine four years later.
Old 11-28-11, 02:57 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by shoebopper
Got a related question for the battery gurus around here. Who made the OEM battery for the 2006 RX330? The unit I bought, although used, has a Delphi battery in it. I've ready many posts here indicating a Panasonic battery was OEM. In any case, it wasn't branded as a Lexus or Toyota True Start.

Why do I ask? When I had the recall work (master cylinder/floor mat) done a couple of weeks ago, the dealership ran the usual inspection/diagnostics stuff and determined the battery had a dying cell (didn't pass load test). Since this wasn't a Toyota factory battery, or at least I didn't think it was, I was willing to go back to the dealer I bought it from to find out if they put it in (it was a GM dealership). Warranties are warranties and I have only had this for two years.

Curously, upon inspection, the battery also had a code on it that I saw listed for a Totoya battery on a Toyota chart (something like 80D26L). I have not seen that on any other battery I have looked at.

Looking for answers!
Where was your RX made?
Old 11-29-11, 04:12 AM
shoebopper
Rookie

I have a Canadian born RX.
Old 11-29-11, 08:29 AM
mandyfig

I just replaced my RX330 batter with a Group 3 battery from Costco, $65. A tad shorter so I shimmed the top bracket and works well. Same spec of CCA And CA, maybe a bit better.
Old 11-29-11, 12:17 PM
shoebopper
Rookie

This is a Group 24F battery. The 80D26L on the cover is the JIS number (Japan Industrial Standard).
Toyota OEM TrueStart would be a 00544-24F60-575 part number. This isn't a TrueStart, but a Delphi. I'll let you all know what Lexus USA says about it in a day or two. Curiously, the OEM TrueStart chart indicated that these batteries were warranted for 84 months...meaning if a TrueStart were still in it there would be at least some warranty left until 2013. Hmmm.
Old 11-29-11, 08:32 PM
mandyfig

Costco Group 3 is a alternate for 24F which Costco does not carry a lot of.
Old 11-30-11, 11:02 AM
shoebopper
Rookie

Well, in typical fashion, Lexus USA basically just said it had a Lexus battery in it when it left the factory. Too bad for your luck now.

I did find out that current Delphi batteries are made by Johnson Controls (bought out the Delphi brand in 2005). So that definitely makes this a replacement battery, propbably from the dealer where I bought the RX. No indication on the face about warranty, so I e-mailed Johnson Controls and have yet to hear anything.

I don't really care if they warrant it or not (don't get me wrong - I'll take a new battery!). Eventually, I gotta have a new one, but now I am interested in how all this took place and who all the players are.

FYI - Delphi Automotive still makes batteries, but only for sale to the China market. I wonder if they private label those and they find their way back to us?
Old 11-30-11, 02:49 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I just replaced my RX330 batter with a Group 3 battery from Costco, $65. A tad shorter so I shimmed the top bracket and works well. Same spec of CCA And CA, maybe a bit better.
can't beat costco's price and their replacement warranty!
Old 12-05-11, 08:28 AM
dcool171
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery replaced

Replaced the battery and will update how long this will last. The last one was replaced in 2008 and was completely dead! It seems as if I've to replace a battery every 3 yrs. The battery will drain if the radio is on for 30 minutes while the car is idling or even if the Nav screen is on. I don't even think about turning on the DVD player in the back.

I've had enough and is selling it.

Thank You

You maybe among the few who decides to sell the vehicle due to battery not lasting more than 3 years. Batteries do not last long in extreme environment. I would say 3 yrs is typical for a typical battery. You may like to invest in superior batteries but money wise it might be a wash. Have the charging system checked.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 12-05-11 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-05-11, 08:18 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I recently replaced mine with Costco group 3 also but I didn't need any adjustment. Can't beat $65 and Costco no question warranty. I figured if this battery goes out in 3 years, I'll buy another Costco battery and still cheaper than OE.
Old 08-27-12, 02:45 PM
iluvny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize this an old thread, however this info may help others

Incredibly, our '04, Canadian built car's battery just started going bad. Delphi brand right from the factory with a measley 590 CCA. Model # on the battery is 80D26L, Group 24R. I still can't believe it lasted 8 years!

Anyhow, reason for the post is that Walmart now also has a 3 year, even exchange, warranty. I guess they felt the pressure from Costco. Walmart's exact fit : EverStart MAXX-24FN . 750 CCA. It's a high quality battery that's received very good reviews. Made by Johnson Controls.

Walmart turns their stock pretty fast, so the manufacture date (on the top) for mine was 8/12.

Last edited by iluvny; 08-28-12 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-27-12, 03:03 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by iluvny
I realize this an old thread, however this info may help others

Incredibly, our '04, Canadian built car's battery just started going bad. Delphi brand right from the factory with a measley 590 CCA. Model # on the battery is 24R. I still can't believe it lasted 8 years!

Anyhow, reason for the post is that Walmart now also has a 3 year, even exchange, warranty. I guess they felt the pressure from Costco. Walmart's exact fit : EverStart MAXX-24FN . 750 CCA. It's a high quality battery that's received very good reviews. Made by Johnson Controls.

Walmart turns their stock pretty fast, so the manufacture date (on the top) for mine was 8/12.

Thanks for the update. About how much did the battery cost you?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing the OEM battery in the RX330