RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Speedometer problem on RX330 and dealer could not find the problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 03:57 PM
coolhand
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer problem on RX330 and dealer could not find the problem...

Well, my 2004 RX330's speedometer isn't working properly.
The speedometer needle rest at about 1~2mph range instead of 0mph even you turned off the engine or while idling.
Sometimes, it stuck at 5mph while I was stopping at the signal light and drove me crazy.
I took it to two different Lexus dealers (only two in my area) and they all said "we could not duplicate it."
My warranty is about to expire in 3 mts and I need to take care this problem immedately.
What should I do?... what seems the problem?
Old 01-30-07, 07:06 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Take a couple of digital photo's of the problem when it happens. Perhaps one that shows the speedometer at 5 mph and an empty ignition might do the trick. Also, if you make it known that you will be back every day until they correct this issue maybe they will get the message.
Old 01-30-07, 07:09 PM
coolhand
Rookie

thanks and I thought about the samething as well.
I will try that camera trick and hopefully they will fix it soon.
Old 01-30-07, 07:33 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some states like PA have a Lemon Law. If you take your car in after X number of visits and they can't fix the problem you can petition them to take the car back. If all else fails, find out if you have a lemon law, take the car in the required number of times and then start talking Lemon Law and see what happens.

I think that the digital photo idea is a good one. Make sure you show the tach at zero so that they can't say that you are driving.

Gary
Old 01-30-07, 08:44 PM
coolhand
Rookie

Thanks for your great advice, Gary.
I live in GA and I think we've a Lemon Law... I'm 2nd owner and I hope it doens't affect the current owner.
I never thought about that until now... thanks again.
Old 01-30-07, 08:58 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Unless your state has a used car lemon law, the lemon law applies to new cars and original owners.
Old 01-30-07, 09:03 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

im sorry to say but chances are your not going to be able to file a lemon law. Even if you keep going back 1) you probably arent going to want to deal with the hassel and 2) you and the previous owner have owned the car for X amount of years, and the car is obviously close to 50K. I dont think it consitutes as a "lemon" if there has only been one problem, one that may be annoying but not exactly life threatening.

On a kidna related note, on my old RX300, the fuel guage was not working properly either. somehow, they still changed it for me, but i dont know if they were able to duplicate the problem...the problem being that the guage fluctuated without me filling.

i dont think pictures would be that good, however i dont know how else you would show them. SOmehow, you need to show that your moving or not moving, and then take a picture of the speedo. this isnt that helpful i know

p.s. changing the speedo will reset your mileage