RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Aftermarket in-dash Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-06, 11:55 AM
Zephyrblad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket in-dash Nav?

I just purchased a RX 350 and since I live in Hawaii I couldn't get Navigation (For Bluetooth and Backup camera functionality), and Mainland dealers said they can't sell outside of their distributorship boundaries.

In any case, I'm looking for an in-dash aftermarket nav with backup camera, preferable double din like the Pioneer AVIC-Z1. The only thing is I'm not sure if there is a place to put it.

Does anyone have any experience with in-dash navigation systems (Preferably with photos when installed)? The only one I found so far was:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2252989

but it doesn't look nice to me.
Old 12-21-06, 03:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to buy the double DIN trim plate that replaced the stock radio made for the Japan Harrier (Same as our RX). Once you have that and aftermarket double DIN LCD deck will slide right in. I use this same piece only I have a stacked set up. I use a single DIN Apline D310 slide out monitor and an Alpine PXA-H700 single DIN processor right under it.
Old 12-21-06, 04:10 PM
Carson-Lex
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You need to buy the double DIN trim plate that replaced the stock radio made for the Japan Harrier (Same as our RX). Once you have that and aftermarket double DIN LCD deck will slide right in. I use this same piece only I have a stacked set up. I use a single DIN Apline D310 slide out monitor and an Alpine PXA-H700 single DIN processor right under it.
I just realized this thread is here, I have the part you described. One of my vendors brought it today. Check it out, its in this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=255301
Old 12-22-06, 06:25 PM
rich001
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can check out the upgraded audio video system that I did on my 05 RX330. I used the Alpine IVA-D310 w/ the NVE-N872A fixed navigation unit. Another option would be the Alpine IVA-W200 (double DIN unit) w/ the portable Blackbird Nav and their new dock (the nav will be thru the touchscreen of the headunit, and you can also take out the portable nav if you ever travel to the neighbor islands or the mainland).
The dash piece will be required, and that's the exact kit that you need (that Carson-Lex showed). The two sides are a little wider and a trim will be needed to cover the side gaps.

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2413004
Old 12-23-06, 01:37 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

About the side trim for the double DIN, I do not have the one pictured by Carson-Lex, but I was able to obtain from a friend who visited Taiwan an OEM piece used for some of the other Toyota cars that fill that gap on the sides perfectly. I really is just two plastic strips, but it has the exact contour to fit the double DIN dash kit. Unfortunately, I have no part numbers. Still, I would just cut and trim that single DIN cover plate as it probably would be just as easy.
Old 12-23-06, 11:37 AM
Zephyrblad
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, you have been a big help.

I noticed that both of you opted for a single din slide out type of screen. Does it bother you that the screen obstructs the A/C controls?

I thought that a double din might be better in that aspect but now that I see the photos, the screen would be placed pretty low in that configuration. I may have to rethink this.
Old 12-23-06, 12:14 PM
rich001
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The reason I chose the single DIN slide out was because I wanted a center channel speaker. Also it brings the monitor up for better viewing. As for the AC controls, the Alpine has a "flat" button that will flatten the monitor for 10seconds and then automatically raise it back to normal. That gives you enough time to change AC settings (which isn't very often).
Old 12-23-06, 03:47 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rich001
The reason I chose the single DIN slide out was because I wanted a center channel speaker. Also it brings the monitor up for better viewing. As for the AC controls, the Alpine has a "flat" button that will flatten the monitor for 10seconds and then automatically raise it back to normal. That gives you enough time to change AC settings (which isn't very often).
Pretty much the same reason here. I originally had the Alpine D300. The 2DIN W200 wasn't available. I later upgraded to the D310. I do have a W200 in another car though. What I like about the D310 flip out is it positions the LCD higher up as mentioned above. Also, most of these types of deck from any manufacturer only have 1 A/V input/output. The Alpine D300/310 has a port to accept the Alpine VPE-S431 A/V expansion unit that allows 3 A/V inputs and 2 separate monitor outputs. This is all touch screen controlled. Since I run 2 Alpine TME-M770 touch screen monitors in the headrest, this allows independent video source selection to any monitor controlled from any monitor. I can have the PS2 running on one monitor, the Alpine DVD changer on another, and the D310's DVD up front, or any of those sources wherever I choose. That S431 basically acts like a home theater multiroom A/V switcher. You can't do that with the W200 as it doesn't have a port for the S431. You would have to split the single A/V output and route that to multiple monitors.

Another reason why I went with the stacked solution is because I had an Alpine PXA-H700 5.1 DD/DTS processor already. This has a single DIN controller, so it sits right under ther D310.
Old 01-06-07, 06:56 PM
MARINE
Driver

Originally Posted by Zephyrblad
I just purchased a RX 350 and since I live in Hawaii I couldn't get Navigation (For Bluetooth and Backup camera functionality), and Mainland dealers said they can't sell outside of their distributorship boundaries.

In any case, I'm looking for an in-dash aftermarket nav with backup camera, preferable double din like the Pioneer AVIC-Z1. The only thing is I'm not sure if there is a place to put it.

Does anyone have any experience with in-dash navigation systems (Preferably with photos when installed)? The only one I found so far was:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2252989

but it doesn't look nice to me.

Hi Zeph,

I just had my Z1 w/bluetooth, camera/tvtuner/xm navtraf removed from my 06 Pathfinder. I traded it in two days ago for the RX350. I just ordered off of ebay the DBL din OEM factory piece I saw here. I was gonna sell my Z1 for peanuts to my sister tomm 1/2 price thinking I could never use it in my Lexus. Then..BAM I googled and joined the furum. I paid $3010 installed for my Z1 with all the options and LOVED it. Now I think I can save it and use it. excuse the grammar, Im all excited lol

Mike

Here it is installed or was installed in my pathfinder:

Last edited by MARINE; 01-06-07 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-10-07, 02:42 PM
MARINE
Driver

Hello all,

I will have pictures of the pioneer z1 nav radio installed tomm night. He needed one more day to install a new amp. The factory one wouldnt work. Its funny, the lexus branded amp is made by pioneer lol.
Old 01-11-07, 06:48 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Default Anyone have photos?

I would love to see an aftermarket Nav unit installed in a 330. Anyone have photos? Anyone? Bueller?

If anyone has done this, can you post a "how gozit" for difficulty and whether or not modifying is required. I have done radio swaps in other cars but I certainly don't want to void the warranty in my 05 330. My wife would like BOTH a backup camera and a Nav sytem. For some reason, she doesn't like my $7 nav system - a Rand-McNally Atlas. Hey, it worked for the last 35 years of driving!

Gary
Old 01-11-07, 04:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
I would love to see an aftermarket Nav unit installed in a 330. Anyone have photos? Anyone? Bueller?

If anyone has done this, can you post a "how gozit" for difficulty and whether or not modifying is required. I have done radio swaps in other cars but I certainly don't want to void the warranty in my 05 330. My wife would like BOTH a backup camera and a Nav sytem. For some reason, she doesn't like my $7 nav system - a Rand-McNally Atlas. Hey, it worked for the last 35 years of driving!

Gary
The only warranty you may void is the audio system. I have lowered my RX330, put on 20" rims, and installed the A/V system well before my warranty was up. Lexus never gave me any problems when I took it in. I only had 1 warranty item taken care of though which were the two front headlights for condensation.
Old 01-11-07, 04:53 PM
MARINE
Driver

Old 01-11-07, 04:58 PM
MARINE
Driver

Everything works, I just had to install an amp since the factoruy one didnt work with my Pioneer. Go figure lol. Its made by pioneer for Lexus the factory one.

It has camera. tv tuner/ bluetooth/xm navtraf the works. Even the steering wheel controls work!
Old 01-12-07, 06:59 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MARINE
Everything works, I just had to install an amp since the factoruy one didnt work with my Pioneer. Go figure lol. Its made by pioneer for Lexus the factory one.

It has camera. tv tuner/ bluetooth/xm navtraf the works. Even the steering wheel controls work!
You did this yourself? Do you have photos or perhaps a step-by-step procedure that you followed? Where did you mount the camera? I will take as much detail as you have on this.

thank you,
Gary

Quick Reply: Aftermarket in-dash Nav?