RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

DIY Factory XM Radio on your RX350

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 12:30 PM
Pavepilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Factory XM Radio on your RX350

I installed XM Radio on my 2007 RX350 using the factory parts (Purchased from Sewell Lexus $299). The installation is pretty involved. You must remove the radio, glove box, door sills, seatbelt cover, rear seat (one side), most of the rear panels and the entire trunk floor. The XM unit mounts next to the factory amp under the rear seat. All the panels must be removed to run the wiring harness from the radio to the XM unit. (Why this harness is not ran from the factory I have no idea.) One plus was that I was able to hide the XM antenna in the hinge area of the rear hatch. The XM signal goes right through the plastic wing no problem.
Old 10-04-06, 01:43 PM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Now that you went through the process, do you feel it's just worth it for the average Joe to pay for the service?

Also, what do you think about the interface compared to an independent XM receiver?
Old 10-04-06, 02:15 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I would bust out my wallet and pay someone if it were me. I like doing routine stuff--oil change etc....but that seems like alot
Old 10-04-06, 06:34 PM
Pavepilot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TripleDES
Now that you went through the process, do you feel it's just worth it for the average Joe to pay for the service?

Also, what do you think about the interface compared to an independent XM receiver?
Yes, for the average Joe I would just pay the dealer. When I ordered the parts, I didn’t think it would be this involved. I previously installed XM Radio in my G35 (The RX350 is the Wife’s ride). The wiring harness was right in the trunk and only took an hour.

If you care about sound quality, I would use the factory parts (It sounds very good). If you are talking about the ad on XM units that transmit through the FM radio, in my opinion they don’t sound very good.
Old 10-05-06, 06:20 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Thanks!! I currently have Sirius and was contemplating dropping the $600 or so dealer charge for XM.

What do you think about the dashboard interface as opposed to an external XM receiver (standalone unit)?
Old 10-05-06, 06:38 AM
chiefvh
Driver School Candidate

xm thru the nav is much better than the external piece. you can store 12 presets and scan them all from the sterring wheel.
Old 10-05-06, 06:41 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

What about browsing for stations/categories/genres? Is this a simple task? Does it show up on the screen effectively?
Old 10-05-06, 04:09 PM
RX350Phil
Driver School Candidate

Actually, you can store 18 preset; 6 for Sat1/Sat2/Sat3.
Very easy to select the type (genre) also. You can scan or seek type.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Factory XM Radio on your RX350-dscf0563.jpg  
Old 10-06-06, 12:35 PM
gumby
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have any thoughts on factory unit vs. VAIS Tech (aftermarket) unit and their respective DIY installation? From what I've read on other threads, the VAIS unit sounds much simpler, with only potential downside being roof (visible) mounted additional antenna.
Old 10-06-06, 04:00 PM
RX350Phil
Driver School Candidate

My RX350 has the dealer installed XM and has the antenna mounted on the roof...
Attached Thumbnails DIY Factory XM Radio on your RX350-dscf0560.jpg  
Old 10-28-06, 11:48 AM
pingplyr
Driver School Candidate

Question Hidden xm antenna

Originally Posted by Pavepilot
I installed XM Radio on my 2007 RX350 using the factory parts (Purchased from Sewell Lexus $299). The installation is pretty involved. You must remove the radio, glove box, door sills, seatbelt cover, rear seat (one side), most of the rear panels and the entire trunk floor. The XM unit mounts next to the factory amp under the rear seat. All the panels must be removed to run the wiring harness from the radio to the XM unit. (Why this harness is not ran from the factory I have no idea.) One plus was that I was able to hide the XM antenna in the hinge area of the rear hatch. The XM signal goes right through the plastic wing no problem.
I'm thinking about getting xm installed on my rx350, but not thrilled about a mag mounted antenna on top. Give me more info about where and how you managed to "hide" yours. Is it inside the plastic wing, or is it just sitting in that groove next to the hinge? (you can see it when the rear hatch is open)
Old 10-28-06, 04:53 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by RX350Phil
My RX350 has the dealer installed XM and has the antenna mounted on the roof...
Mine was installed by the dealer in the exact same place as in the photo. Frankly, you will not see it unless you are looking for it. Well, maybe if you are 6' 5" you would see it better.
Old 10-28-06, 05:02 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by TripleDES
Thanks!! I currently have Sirius and was contemplating dropping the $600 or so dealer charge for XM.

What do you think about the dashboard interface as opposed to an external XM receiver (standalone unit)?
I can only speak for having XM Matt, but the factory dashboard interface is really nice and easy to use. The only real downside in the RX with the nav display is that it will truncate longer song titles. I used to have a portable XM unit is my last SUV, this is way better.

Also, the XM signal is compressed, so it is not audiophile quality by any means. In fact, I find that talk radio stations particularly annoying, since it is very tinny sounding.
Old 10-28-06, 05:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

In my RX300, only place I also found to put that antenna was on the sunroof handle which has metal underneath the plastic.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Factory XM Radio on your RX350-xmantenna.jpg  
Old 11-14-06, 09:51 AM
dressage71
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if you the RX330 XM is installed in the truck or behind the radio?

Quick Reply: DIY Factory XM Radio on your RX350