RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Loaner car question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 12:00 PM
markpaco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loaner car question

I've taken my RX330 to the dealer for warranty work and got a Toyota Camry as a loaner. I know that they loan out ESs and such but I was confused as to why they didn't give us a Lexus loaner. I think it was because I didn't buy my Lexus from them nor was it for service.

Does Lexus require their service department to use Lexus cars as loaners? You'd think that you'd get a car of equal or greater quality as a loaner.
Old 09-25-06, 12:30 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

It probably just depends on how many Lexus loaners they have available. My Lexus dealer has 40 Lexus loaner vehicles to lend out.

I just came out of a Mercedes ML320, but they also loaned out Nissans Altima's at that dealership. Sometimes I got a C or E class Mercedes and a few times they even had MLs. I never really cared what I got, I just like having access to a vehicle when my car was in for service. I alway had a Mercedes though.

I do recall the Mercedes service manager telling me they had a few customers who would get bent out of shape about not being provided a with a Mercedes, so they try to keep 1 or 2 on hand for that reason. Most people did not care what they got though.
Old 09-25-06, 12:38 PM
PEK
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just returned RX350 loaner to the dealer. I didn't buy my car from them but had them do a reset on transmission computer(per TSB) so it was free.
Old 09-25-06, 01:17 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Lexus Dealer has RX 350, RX 400h, RX ES 330, IS 250/350 loaner. Everytime I take my RX to service, they ask which one I want. So far, I drove ES330, RX350, and IS250. Plus, they don't really care how much miles I put on it, nor how much gas left in the tank when returning.
Old 09-25-06, 01:23 PM
dhamaka127
Driver

Same here I went to a dealership in Wikles-Barre, PA ( not to the dealer i bought the car from since it is about 300 miles from me). And I got a 2007 IS250, and the two times when I did go to the dealer i bought it from i got a 2007 ES350.

Same here they didnt mind the miles i put on the car.
Old 09-25-06, 01:32 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

For a long time the Lexus Dealership [only one in Austin] had Advantage-rent-a-car and they would have all non-Lexus cars as loaners. Worse yet the curteousy drop off vehicle used to be Astro or something. [I am not nocking the Chevy brand, but lamenting on advertising loss for lexus]. You had to sign a 3rd party rental contract [bill was picked up by Lexus]. Now the loaners are Lexus [generally, IS, ES and RX]. I have never got a LS or LX or GS or GX as a loaner.

When you make an appointment over the phone you can request one from your service writer. Keep in mind there are no gaurantees as Lexus loaner pool is limited. Even today the spill over is handled by Advantage or Enterprize.

Salim
Old 09-25-06, 01:51 PM
RX_brain
Rookie

I don't think they have to have you in a Lexus, they just have to provide you with a loaner. Depending on the size of the dealership, the larger they are, the more Lexus loaners they have in stock. Sewell Lexus (Dallas) has not failed to provide me with a Lexus loaner. Maybe try another dealership. Goodluck!!
Old 09-25-06, 02:02 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

If I have a choice, I like getting a car as a loaner. I have been driving SUVs for 15 years, so it is a nice change of pace for me to be able to drive a car for a day or two.
Old 09-25-06, 02:51 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the just give out the Lexus cars until they run out. So far I've never gotten a Lexus and only Camry's.
Old 09-25-06, 04:28 PM
TripleDES
Pole Position

What warrants a loaner car? Oil change? Major service?
Old 09-25-06, 05:27 PM
eisens
Rookie

Default last two loaners

I have a 2004 RX 330.

Today's loaner was a lovely Lexus sedan with a keyless starter. Weird!

Time before that was an RX 400h which was also weird -- but FUN.

I've asked for the hybrids and the dealer has always tried to give me what I asked for.
Old 09-26-06, 06:19 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dealers are under no obligation to furnish loaners for anything but possibly overnight service. WHAT they furnish is entirely up to their discretion. Now that said, it only makes sense for a Lexus dealer to furnish another Lexus product. They realize it is an opportunity for them to give you an "extended test drive" in another Lexus. From a marketing standpoint, it is a great opportunity to: 1.) ease any inconvenience or ill will over having to service your present Lexus, and 2.) give a present customer an opportunity to drive a newer or different product - in hopes of making a future sale.

What qualifies for a loaner? Depends on the individual dealership. I'm always offered a loaner - even for an oil change, but almost never take one unless the service will require more than two hours. I try to schedule service visits for times when I can use some "office" time across town. Working from one of their cubicle set-ups with my cell phone and laptop, I can make customer calls just like I was in my office, and it helps pass the time productively. It's not just letting the dealer "off the hook" for a loaner, but I feel I get much faster service if the techs see that big red "WAITING" stamp across the service ticket. By passing on the free loaner, I go to the head of the line.
Old 09-26-06, 06:56 AM
lok888
Pole Position

My dealer has 50+ Lexus loaner for. I haven't used their loaner yet. I believe any repair or major service warrants the loaner. They will sell those loaner probably after a year of service or after some 12K or 15K miles for thousands less. The old ones will replaced by a fleet of new ones.

Question - Just wondering if any Lexus dealer has rent-a-car service. My Toyota dealer has rent-a-car for $32.99/day for Corolla or Yaris.
Old 09-26-06, 11:35 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the limitations on a Lexus loaner (i.e. returning, hours, mileage, out-of-town drive, etc..etc)? Thanks!!
Old 09-26-06, 11:41 AM
lok888
Pole Position

I don't recall. One day or until the service is done? But my dealer will charge $35 for smoking in the car.

Quick Reply: Loaner car question