RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Wide Armrest Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 02:36 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Wide Armrest Now Available

The wide armrest for the RX is now available -- see the photo below. This solves the problem of the skinny original armrest, and it is much more comfortable. Installation was so easy, I did it myself.

I got this from JJ Products (www.jjproducts.net). This might not be on their web page yet, as it is just going into production. It is based on the design of the one for the PT Cruiser, except that this is covered in the Lexus leather. My car is an '04 RX330, so I know this will fit all 330s and 350s. In talking to Jim at JJ Products, he says that the 300 has the same seats.

Until this is on the web page, you can order by calling Jim at JJ Products: 1-800-654-2356. He is very friendly and very helpful.

This is a great improvement over the factory armrest.

Highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails Wide Armrest Now Available-pict0836.jpg  
Old 09-05-06, 04:18 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Will 2 of them fit? one on each seat?

How much
Old 09-05-06, 04:23 PM
ODU2K
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice..... i'm interested. is that the orginial armrest on the passenger side?
Old 09-05-06, 05:47 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

will the passenger fit with the drivers side too? how much does it cost and est delivery time?
Old 09-05-06, 05:54 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

I still favor duct taping a fluffy pillow onto the skinny armrest
Old 09-05-06, 06:44 PM
csk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
The wide armrest for the RX is now available -- see the photo below. This solves the problem of the skinny original armrest, and it is much more comfortable. Installation was so easy, I did it myself.

I got this from JJ Products (www.jjproducts.net). This might not be on their web page yet, as it is just going into production. It is based on the design of the one for the PT Cruiser, except that this is covered in the Lexus leather. My car is an '04 RX330, so I know this will fit all 330s and 350s. In talking to Jim at JJ Products, he says that the 300 has the same seats.

Until this is on the web page, you can order by calling Jim at JJ Products: 1-800-654-2356. He is very friendly and very helpful.

This is a great improvement over the factory armrest.

Highly recommended.

Thanks again for the info. When you get some time would it be possible for you to post a straight on picture also?

When I talked to Jim he said it was about a 5 minute install if you had the right tools, do you agree?

How long was it after ordering till you received it?

Thank you very much in advance.
Old 09-05-06, 07:07 PM
crosborne
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it adjustable? It looks too wide now. Think he'd make one about 3" wide?
Old 09-05-06, 08:04 PM
tfischer

In answer to the above questions, I offer the following observations.

First, it's not too wide at all, in my opinion. If you look around, you will see many cars, like the SC430 and some SUVs as well, have a solid armrest that fills the space between the seats. Often this is a cushioned top of a center storage console. The comfort comes from the space to have your elbow hit the rest while your arm is in many different positions. This is especially comfy on longer trips. I find this armrest to be an excelent design. It does not extend above the cupholders, but you will have to lift the armrest out of the way to get into the center console box -- I can easily live with that.

The part is for the driver's side only. It is about 6.5" wide, and there is about two inches or so of space between it and the original passenger armrest. Even if one were available for the right side seat, it would not fit. For this reason, I presume, a wide armrest for the passenger seat is not even made.

Installation is very easy. You pop off the cap that covers the bolt, and use a socket wrench to take out the bolt and remove the original armrest. You then use a new bolt to fasten a new bracket to the side of the seat. You unzip the leather cover of the new armrest and use a socket wrench (with an extension) to affix the armrest to the new bracket with a new bolt. Tighten down the bolt to the point that the resistance is what you want, and zip it closed. If you take it slow, it is probably a 10 minute job the first time. You will need a socket set (not metric) with a six inch extension. Jim probably said five minutes to install because he's an engineer; I say allow for ten because I am pretty cautious about stuff like this.

You leave the original armrest on the passenger side. The leather matches perfectly. The edge of the new bracket is visible if you look down the space between the edge of the seat and the new armrest, but it is painted the same color as the leather; it's hard to see anyway and hardly noticable.

I believe the price is $149.00, but don't rely on this post for that. I called Jim a month or two ago when there was a post here about this armrest. At that time, it was still being developed, and Jim was clear that it might be a week or two or three before he could send me anything. It arrived about a week ago with a prototype bracket. I put this on, and gave Jim some feedback and measurements on the phone, and he made some changes to the bracket. The new bracket arrived today, and I took off the armrest and exchanged the brackets in about three minutes, since I knew what I was doing this time. Jim said this is the production bracket, and he indicated that he can take orders now and fill them now. The point of this story is that I really don't know what normal delivery time is after an order is placed. Call Jim and ask; he will be very straightforward with you, and I get the impression that he will not promise an unrealistic ship date.

I don't have a pic from straight on, but I'll try to get one tommorrow and post it here. In the meantime, here is a pic showing the full profile of the armrest in the lowered position that I took for Jim by lowering the back of the passenger seat, which may be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails Wide Armrest Now Available-from-right-side.jpg  
Old 09-06-06, 06:01 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

i just emailed about pricing and a possible group buy for the forum
Old 09-06-06, 10:04 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Frankr66
i just emailed about pricing and a possible group buy for the forum
Does the member who informed you about the availability through JJ products get a free one?
Old 09-07-06, 07:06 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
Does the member who informed you about the availability through JJ products get a free one?
you sure do! the first buyer will of course pay for it also

I got a call from them yesterday and he is waiting on the new brackets but he said it should be about a week. As soon as they are available he will call back so I can order one. It is $139 + $9 shipping, a steal if you ask me!

stay tuned for updates
Old 09-08-06, 08:22 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A group buy would be sweet.
Old 09-08-06, 09:30 AM
lok888
Pole Position

I wonder if Lexus will make one for the RX330/350/400h. But I am thinking it will probably cost more than JJ Products. I remember Honda had the same armrest issue on the previous generation of the Odyssey ('98-'04).

This skinny armrests on my RX reminds me the ones that I have for my kid car seat. Maybe they are decided for the kids, rich kids??
Old 09-08-06, 09:50 AM
tfischer

I don't understand all of the above post, but I also don't think there is an "issue" regarding the armrests.

The RX armrest, and I have been looking a lot at armrests in parked cars lately, are a pretty standard size and shape. It's not controversial, and many SUVs don't have any armrests at all.

Some people, especially those who use the RX for long road trips (as opposed to shorter jaunts to the grocery or soccer game) would like a wider armrest. In this country, there is a spot for those who see a need and make a product to fill it.

I doubt Lexus will do anything other than what it is doing, which is satisfactory to most of the buyers of the RX, which is the best selling Lexus model by far (in excess of 40%). Besides, a wider armrest, such as that made by JJ Products, prevents access to the center console storage area unless the armrest is lifted out of the way, something that I suspect would be an "issue" for most owners. If you want the wider armrest, one is now available. Rejoyce and order one.

Speaking of soccer, the Univ of N.C. ladies soccer team recently scored the fastest goal possible in soccer, setting a new and unbreakable NCAA record by kicking the ball into the goal on the kickoff (which is technically a "direct kick"). Click on the following link, then click on either "Soccer Sep 3 2006 Yale Goals" or "Yale, first half." The NC player has an NFL leg, as she gets that ball high and straight, and about 50 yards downfield and into the goal on a fly. Stunning.

http://tarheels.nmnathletics.com/
Old 09-08-06, 10:14 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Honestly, I don't care much about the stock armrests. It is not an issue to me. For many, it would be nice for a wider version.

In my experience, my Camry (traded in for the RX350) and my Kia Sorento both have bigger center console which serve as as armrest and storage bin for both driver and front passenger. It's great for a long trip and no blockage for anyone inside the car. For me, it would be a great idea to have the same design on RX rather the adjustable front armrests.

Quick Reply: Wide Armrest Now Available