RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What are your 3 LEAST favorite things about the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 09:13 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) All the black plastic I have to apply Armor All to!?! I guess having the side skirts in unpainted black plastic makes it more durable against road debris...

2) The tranny sucks big time.
Old 04-12-07, 01:00 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by borg1of2
...I like the work around to buypass the entering of destinations while driving...
What is the work-around?

Old 04-12-07, 01:20 PM
borg1of2
Rookie

For Gen 3 NAV, Gen 4 is similar.

Go to the screen that has the DVD option. Select that button.

On the screen that shows the DVD version information, do the following.

Press Upper Left Corner of Screen
Press Lower Left Corner of Screen
Press Lower Right Corner of Screen.

This will bring up the back-door menu where you press and hold the Override button. Once you see that button become highlighted you can release your finger and then press the BACK button in the Upper Right of that screen.

You can now choose destinations while driving. If you turn off the car it has to be repeated. Also do it while stopped.

There may be better descriptions of this process in other threads. Do a search for NAV Override.
Old 04-13-07, 05:13 PM
Rx13
Driver School Candidate

Cargo Room (I would like it a little bigger), Headlights, no relationship between numbers on the interior temp settings and the interior temp of the vehicle. The dealer simply tells me those aren't to be considered the temperature but relative numbers????Only vehicle I've ever had with automatic air/heat that was miles off.
Old 04-13-07, 05:41 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx13
Cargo Room (I would like it a little bigger), Headlights, no relationship between numbers on the interior temp settings and the interior temp of the vehicle. The dealer simply tells me those aren't to be considered the temperature but relative numbers????Only vehicle I've ever had with automatic air/heat that was miles off.
I don't seem to have any problem with the temp setting and the actual temperature. I'd say mine is accurate within a couple degrees. I'd bring this issue up with them again. You may have a faulty sensor.
Old 04-15-07, 06:18 PM
spunderdog
Driver School Candidate

1. The standard radio on the 07' 350 allows for no simple aux hookups. Stuck using a Griffin FM transmitter on my iPod. Gave up my efforts to hookup my previous Panasonic Sirius radio system after much frustration and wasted effort. Proprietory radio system is a real bummer. Just put an aux plug on the chassis and this would be solved. Could also get current on radio technology. Make it easy to add an aftermarket satellite radio or iPod. 1980's radio system. Like no one wants to add aftermarket options. Also bummed out that they do not recommend a remote start. Minnesota Winters and I use the vehicle all day to make calls. Remote start would be nice.

2. Also think the center arm rests are stupid. Have better arm rests in airline coach seats. Lexus should look at any other crossover SUV made and get a clue.

3. Agree that the acceleration is unresponsive, step on it and it doesn't go. Spends a cople of seconds searching for the proper computer adjustments and gear choice. Kinda like turbo lag. Really unsafe in an emergency manuever. Know its not a sports car, so I understand this, but would love to see it improved.
Old 04-17-07, 06:02 PM
MB2006
Pole Position

crapy sound system
arm rest sucks big time.
Old 04-17-07, 06:23 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol everyone rags on the armest. i love them haha

as for the hesitation when stomping down on the pedal...how is that dangerous. what emergency situation needs you to get up and go that fast? if you step on it half way, you get instant movement. As for the exageration, it really takes 1 seconds before it takes off.

3 worst things of all time would be:

transmission jerking/hesitation
how easy the side of the doors gets scratched on the interior panels
that sound that car makes when its lifting up with air suspension
Old 04-22-07, 03:30 PM
rxovermdx
Driver

I agree completely about the cupholders. My biggest complaints are (08" rx350);

1. Trani takes long time to warm up in the morning, and it makes freaky sound if you if you idle drive it out of the garage cold. Toyotas are known to make durable trani.

2. Not enough storage spaces in the front; I had 06' pilot--king of small storages, but it was pain in the neck to park in small spaces.

3. Everybody rave about the serene and quiet sedan-like ride, but for US $44K and Lexus badge, I hear rattles in the RX350 compartments(mine only has 500 miles on it)--as opposed to ES or GS, or even 03' Camry, they are REALLY quiet.

What do you think about newer RXs being assembled in Ontario? I am not bashing Canadian craftmanship but will it really play upto par with Japanese-made, in terms of fine details and reliability?

Jim
Old 04-30-07, 02:39 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoodDrivin
I would seriously consider NOT getting any infinity. Having been an ex Nissan fan, I'll never get another Nissan, ever. Just the worst seats ever on my g35, constant rattles, cheap material. Really just a poor mans lux vehicle. IMO, my rx350 is light years ahead of my relatives fx35. Ride, comfort, everything.

However, having said that, I do have some naggs on this great car.

Have to press agree button on navi every time.
Side arm rest is too thin, needs another 2 inches. Also should be able to adjust height.
No factory tinting in front side windows.
Doesn't seem to be a way to shut off daytime running lights on and off (should be a button near the side mirror tweaks).
I hate the NAV system, the agree buttonis bad but not being able to use it while the car is moving is unacceptable. I have the DRL, but I would not buy a car with tinted front windows because I don't want to ruin the ability to see at night. A tint can be added but it is very hard to remove.
Old 05-05-07, 12:12 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

The rattles?
Old 05-07-07, 10:03 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no power. .......
Old 05-08-07, 12:11 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by borg1of2
For Gen 3 NAV, Gen 4 is similar.

Go to the screen that has the DVD option. Select that button.

On the screen that shows the DVD version information, do the following.

Press Lower Right Corner of Screen.

This will bring up the back-door menu where you press and hold the Override button. Once you see that button become highlighted you can release your finger and then press the BACK button in the Upper Right of that screen.

You can now choose destinations while driving. If you turn off the car it has to be repeated. Also do it while stopped.

There may be better descriptions of this process in other threads. Do a search for NAV Override.
I must have a different version of the nav in my 2005 RX330. The steps to "release" my nav are:
  1. Go to the Volume screen
  2. Press Upper Left Corner of Screen
  3. Press Lower Left Corner of Screen
  4. Press Upper Left Corner of Screen
  5. Press Lower Left Corner of Screen
Old 05-08-07, 12:35 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF

as for the hesitation when stomping down on the pedal...how is that dangerous. what emergency situation needs you to get up and go that fast? if you step on it half way, you get instant movement. As for the exageration, it really takes 1 seconds before it takes off.
Mayby not any emergency situation, but day to day freeway merging can be exciting with the hesitation/lag. I'm not sure about the on/off ramps where you live, but some of us have crappy on/off ramp space. Often, they are the same, and you have to come to very low speeds only to manage to merge into a 60MPH freeway while negotiating between cars exiting the freeway as well as those still travelling at speed from about 25 MPH all before running out of ramp space which can be 1/8 mile or shorter. Sometimes you find your space, stomp on the gas and merge, only the car lags and doesn't pick up speed fast enough and the other driver nearly rear ends you . Now, it would be easier to adapt to that if it were consistant, but sometimes in the same situation you do the same thing and the car picks up speed quickly with no lag or hesitation and there is no problem The trick is trying to predict when the transmission will react fast and when it will decide to hesitate and lag.
Old 05-08-07, 10:42 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ i almost got rear ended a couple of weeks ago, when i getting onto a freeway with a very short ramp. i hit the gas hard to merge onto the freeway but the tranny decided to start acclerating then all of a sudden dropped of, the person behind me was following close to me and almost hit me when the tranny in my car hit that inivisble gear. i try to predict when this will happen, but it always changes its mind, like the tranny is busy messing with me. and oh yeah the rx350 does the same thing.

Quick Reply: What are your 3 LEAST favorite things about the RX?