RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

List problems you had so far with your RX330/350

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-13, 10:10 AM
ajgregory
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2007 RX 350 AWD 85K miles

The rubber strips on either side of the top of the roof kept getting loose and trying to fall out. Dealer refused to repair under extended warranty (Pohanka Lexus of Chantilly, VA) so I took them out and left them in the garage. They seem to serve no useful purpose.

I have the water-in-the-headlights issue. Water gets into both headlights when it goes thru the car wash or even significant rain. Again, Pohanka Lexus of Chantilly has refused to repair the issue under extended warranty. Lexus needs to come clean on this design defect and potential safety hazard. Lexus should replace any headlight on request when the issue can be demonstrated.

Steering rack replaced under warranty - boot failed on right side. Ditto one of the ignition coils.

Park brake squeaks annoyingly as it's being engaged with the footpedal. I have not figured out how to lubricate it.

Otherwise car does well even with Ms Lead Foot (aka the missus) driving it...
Old 12-08-13, 04:21 PM
Rayne
Driver School Candidate

04 rx330 90k

2 issues with my car. Biggest issue the dash is cracking! It's very aggravating. Other issue the ac doesn't blow very hard for the size of the car. We have a gs300 and a gs400 the ac blows very hard in both these vehicles. These two issues will be the reason I don't get another lexus SUV.
Old 12-08-13, 11:21 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayne
04 rx330 90k

2 issues with my car. Biggest issue the dash is cracking! It's very aggravating. Other issue the ac doesn't blow very hard for the size of the car. We have a gs300 and a gs400 the ac blows very hard in both these vehicles. These two issues will be the reason I don't get another lexus SUV.
Rayne, you can condition the dash to help stop further cracking. Though I understand your frustration. Secondly, your a/c filter is clogged most likely. It's in the glove compartment/ behind it. Clean that and replace and I'd bet you'll be surprised how well the fan motor blows moving forward.

Hope this solves your issues. They are easy to take care of.
Old 12-10-13, 06:10 PM
Rayne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HtownBlue

Rayne, you can condition the dash to help stop further cracking. Though I understand your frustration. Secondly, your a/c filter is clogged most likely. It's in the glove compartment/ behind it. Clean that and replace and I'd bet you'll be surprised how well the fan motor blows moving forward.

Hope this solves your issues. They are easy to take care of.
I kinda doubt it will help it has been conditioned on the past. The ac filter is new and has been changed with no change in the flow.
And i thought about another thing 3 times this car has left me stranded because the wheel would lock and the key will not turn . That's a very scary feeling at 10 at night at a gas station 3 hours from home.
Old 12-11-13, 02:18 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rayne, the steering wheel and key lock is an anti-theft feature. The steering wheel and key will lock if the steering wheel is moved when the key is not in the ignition. Unfortunately, it is easy to do on accident (such as getting in and out of the vehicle). If the steering wheel is locked, turn the wheel to the left or right (just put a little pressure on it) and turn the key at the same time. This will disengage the lock. As far as I know, all Toyota's since about 95 or so have this feature.
Old 12-17-13, 02:47 AM
Stavy612
Driver School Candidate

04 rx330 148000 miles

Cruise control intermittently works
Dealer replaced radiator when I purchased it
Hatch struts went bad, just replaced those

With high miles and regular maintenance haven't had Any issues
Old 12-26-13, 08:14 PM
jrperser
Driver School Candidate

Default Recent Problems

2009 RX350 with 68k miles. 2nd RX, first was a 300, both white.

Had the radio replaced under warranty.

Rear seat folded down, can't release the catch to fold it back up.

Other than that, no problems with this car (knock on wood).
Old 12-27-13, 12:58 PM
sparkplugg
Driver School Candidate

1) Replaced Steering Rack at 66k. Leaking from seals, melted holes in inner tie rod boots. The rest of the story: Bought a reman Cardoone-$500 ORilys. The new rack works perfect, but it leaks. Removed the belly pan again, figured it to be the hi press line from the PS pump, but it was not. It is one of the little 12MM fittings. The *#+?@ reman company should have replaced that o-ring.So with an assortment pack of metric o-rings and six point offset 12MM in hand I try to remove the nut, but stop because I can tell it will strip. Approximately 6 oz. Of Lucas SL fixed it. I can do it again anytime with the life time warranty. 2)I had the Cristmas Tree of light effect on the dashboard. I believe it was the ABS, VSC, and one other. Tipped from a post here, I replaced the Brake Light Switch. I set the plunger adjustment at exactly 2.4MM (between 2 and 3 MM per Chilton) using the long end of an allen wrench as a feeler gauge. All is well.
Old 12-27-13, 01:24 PM
sparkplugg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eefiasfira
Bought a 2008 RX 350 with 48K miles from Carmax, Sacremento. Drove it all the way to Seattle.

a) Tail light went off. Lexus dealer charged me $50 to replace fuse.
b) Noticed a slight rattling on right hand side door. Took it to Lexus dealer but he asked me to pinpoint the problem to avoid having them charge me diagnostic charges which he felt would be excessive.
c) Realized that the stock stereo is pathetic . Am trying to find a solution to this. Still working on finding a solution that will fit my wallet and help my ear.
d) Get a loud creaking sound when I am braked and turning the steering wheel when I am getting out of the garage.
e) Cold weather start issues. Sometimes, it won't start at first try. Starts at second/third try. Has never happened to my 12-year old Acura. Probably a battery issue?
f) Yesterday when driving at 75 on the highway, felt a lot of jerks on the steering wheel. The jerks went away when I slowed down to 70. Wondering what it was!

The stock stereo is giving me sleepless nights. I tried putting an 8" subwoofer under the seat and that produced no noticeable difference in the pathetic sound quality. Took the SUV to CarToys and they said I will need to spend about $1100-1600 to make it sound decent.
All in all, I am having doubts if I did the right thing by jumping on the Lexus bandwagon from Acura. Also not sure if buying from CarMax was a smart idea.
The jerk at 75 sounds like a tie rod to me. Might check your rear bushing (looks like a hockey puck) on your lower control arm while you're at it. If it is bad you will see full depth cracks or breakage. They are very easy to see if you jack the car up, tire on and fully turned.
Old 12-30-13, 03:18 PM
dandg
Driver

04 330,127000 (Bought it new)
Just tonight found yet another Radiator has started leaking ! This is the 3rd one that went bad and has been in the RX since 87000 miles,second one went in at 48000 miles after factory one failed.The last 2 were covered by Lexus but this one I guess I will have to pay for !
I have also noticed both headlights have the moisture thing going-hope to get the letter everyone else is getting.

Thats it beside tires and brakes of course !
Old 12-31-13, 10:32 AM
house9999
Driver School Candidate

Bought 2007 Rx 350 at 58K under CPO warrenty

infamous engine check light and codes 3 times

annoying rack noise/ replaced something underneath driver side

steering rack $1500 this just happend after warrenty expired

engine cover oil leak $2000 this just happend after warrenty expired

Had catastrophic oil loss rubber hose replaced
just made it home alive
Old 01-02-14, 02:20 PM
Campy6178
Driver School Candidate

Default Headlight Issue

[QUOTE=dandg;8302712]04 330,127000 (Bought it new)
Just tonight found yet another Radiator has started leaking ! This is the 3rd one that went bad and has been in the RX since 87000 miles,second one went in at 48000 miles after factory one failed.The last 2 were covered by Lexus but this one I guess I will have to pay for !
I have also noticed both headlights have the moisture thing going-hope to get the letter everyone else is getting.

Thats it beside tires and brakes of course ![/Q

I received the letter from Lexus today concerning the moisture issue. They're planning to replace all the headlight assemblies that are experiencing excessive moisure when the parts become available
Old 01-02-14, 02:22 PM
dandg
Driver

[QUOTE=Campy6178;8306662]
Originally Posted by dandg
04 330,127000 (Bought it new)

Thats it beside tires and brakes of course ![/Q

I received the letter from Lexus today concerning the moisture issue. They're planning to replace all the headlight assemblies that are experiencing excessive moisure when the parts become available
Got mine today too ! No parts available until May ,will have to go down to stealership and see then.
Old 01-03-14, 11:28 AM
Melody143
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 2009 50k miles

- always have a problem with the low tire pressure light coming on when the pressure is not low.

- have water in my passenger side mirror so lens is not clear, dealer said $400 to replace not warrenty issue. Not happy so I just keal with it
Old 01-03-14, 11:40 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Melody143
always have a problem with the low tire pressure light coming on when the pressure is not low.
you need to reset TPMS

Quick Reply: List problems you had so far with your RX330/350