RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

List problems you had so far with your RX330/350

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 03:45 PM
Vinnyraj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love the car...but had a few trips to the dealership...

1.) the maintenance light kept coming on...found out that there was a crack somewhere in the gas seal...so the gasket never sealed, which made the maintenance light to come on...this took them about 3-4 trips to figure what was wrong

2.) A/C started blowing room temperature air even with the climate control switched to Max Cold. Funny thing is that it did this only on the driver side, the passenger side was cold.

3.) rattling in the dash (They have a new seal made for the RX's since there were so many complaints)

4.) headlight theft deterrent system Recall

I think there were a couple more things (minor) that I took it in for, but dont recall right now.

This was before I hit 15,000 btw.
Old 08-30-06, 12:27 PM
bluebeauty
Driver School Candidate

This is embarrassing, but what does TSB mean? I bought a 2004 RX 330 new in another state, and I've noticed dealers aren't very nice to you if you didn't buy from them. As far as the car goes, my only complaints are with the Goodyear Eagle RSA tires it came with and the jerky transmission. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Old 08-30-06, 12:53 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebeauty
This is embarrassing, but what does TSB mean? I bought a 2004 RX 330 new in another state, and I've noticed dealers aren't very nice to you if you didn't buy from them. As far as the car goes, my only complaints are with the Goodyear Eagle RSA tires it came with and the jerky transmission. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
TSB is an abbreviation for Technical Service Bulletin. Auto manufacturers release TSBs to describe and correct problems not serious enough for a recall. Dealers will only correct a problem described in a TSB if the owner of the car complains of the problem. In other words, you can't go to a dealer and ask them to repair the car per all of the TSBs applicable for the car. You first must show the car has the problem.
Old 08-31-06, 11:41 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- SSC 4LH 2004 RX330 BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH
- SSC 6LD CENTER CONSOLE (FLOOR CARPET COVER) RETAINING CLIP
---------------------------
- NV008-04 FRONT DOOR WIND NOISE IMPROVEMENT
- NV007-04 DASH RATTLE REPAIR
- BR004-04 Brake pedal would shudder during stop and go driving, mostly on streets with stop signs
Old 10-02-06, 01:19 PM
Spambait
Driver School Candidate

'04 RX330. Issues so far:

1) Both roof rack rails seized up, and couldn't move them. Known defect with that model (something to do with the spring-loaded mechanism). Replaced both rails under warranty

2) Original DVD nav disk was brain-dead stupid ie. didn't know very many roads in my local city, and kept making bad decisions because of this. Just this fall, paid Lexus a bend-over-and-grab-your-ankles sum for an update disk. She's much smarter, and I'm happier. Only wish the DVD disk was cheaper. It should have been free, IMO, given the lame original map data. Next time I may try to acquire a nav disk from another Toyota/Lexus source and burn a copy. I'd have to be careful about using the right firmware though.

3) Rattle was coming from the roof area. Turned out to be the sunroof cables rattling in the roof cavity. New cables installed under warranty. Problem fixed.

Otherwise, the RX330 has been an excellent car, and I would purchase it again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-02-06, 02:32 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2004 wa an early production Japan build bought in April 2003.

1) Emmisions recall. Not sure what they did buy I think they replaced something with the exhaust manifold. Within 2000 miles.

2)Brake Light Switch recall. Brake light switch can fail causing brake lights to not light up when you press the brakes. Around 30K miles

3) Rear hatch ECU replaced. Rear power hatch would not work all the time. Around 15K Miles

4) Drivers side headlight replaced. Condensattion. Around 48K miles.

5) Passnager side headlight replaced. Condensation. Around 49K miles.

6) Tranny ECU TSIB update. Helped, but still not perfect. Countinuous problem.

7) Some dash rattles, but I never got it fixed. Didn't want them tearing apart the entire dash. Problem sinve day 1, but it is not that bad so I just live with it.

8) Pannel clip recall. Will have they done in about 3 weeks. That is the clip that could fail causing the part to interfere with the accelerator. Got the notice early September.

My car has about 60K miles now.
Old 10-02-06, 03:15 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2004 RX 330 made in Japan in July, 2003.
- Trans ECU update
- Brake Light Switch Recall
- Loose backboard trim on the back of front seats (replaced)
- Rear wiper not effective (replaced)
- Coolant leak from a block plug (removed/fixed plug, refilled coolant)
- Foam strips falling out from under the rear spoiler (replaced spoiler; it broke in the process of taking it off)
- Rear hatch ECU (replaced)

All of the above were fixed by the dealer without any cost to me (aside from my time) and were fixed to my satisfaction.

I need to schedule another trip to the dealer for:
- Dash rattle
- Heat / A/C blower motor squealing on low speed
- Panel clip recall

Like CK6Speed, I've been living with the dash rattles for fear of making the situation worse. But the blower motor fan noise is the topper, so they can take care of all of that at the same time.

That's an awful lot of little issues in my opinion, especially for a premium brand like Lexus. Execpt for the coolant leak none of them have been safety issues - just irritants. But this car has been to the dealer more times than all of my previous new cars combined! My previous RX's were a lot better. The dealer has been great to work with, but I'd rather not have to go there! The '99 RX was great, but the '04 RX had a number of first-model-year bugs.

Finally, not a warranty issue, but the OEM tires need to be replaced at 32,000 miles before winter hits.
Old 10-04-06, 12:50 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

'05 AWD RX 330 w/46,000 miles (Japan build)

-- TSB for the improved shifting - helped quite a bit, but not perfect

-- Dash rattle in top-middle dash repaired ... no problems since.

-- Parts ordered to repair whining when A/C was on and accelerating/decelerating (especially noticeable when around 20mph or so) ... warranty work cleared it up completely. Tech advisers seemed to have had a few RXs in for this as they knew exactly what I was talking about.

-- CD/radio head unit on order currently ... will be completely replaced. CD player just quit working one day. Went to push "DISC" and nothing happened.

-- Paid just under $1000 to replace the tires at 40,000 miles (should've been replaced MUCH sooner, but I rode it out longer)

Last edited by Husker4the; 10-04-06 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 07:31 PM
markpaco
Rookie

1. Leaking driver side headlight
Replaced under warranty

2. A/C compressor resonance
Fixed under warranty

3. Sun visor vanity mirror binding
Replaced both sides under warranty

4. Driver/Passenger side a-pillar garnish material wear at dash/tweeter cover interface.
Replaced under warranty

5. Irregular tire wear
Alignment out of spec but noted after alignment warranty period. Replaced tires and got alignment. Alignment was off and should have been addressed before alignment warranty expired (24 mos/24k miles?)

6. Front freeze plug leaking
Repaired under warranty after second visit. 1st visit they 'couldn't find the leak' (yeah right).

7. Roof rack slider tab binding and feet corroding
They replaced the entire rack assembly under warranty. This was great because the x-bars were starting to fade too.

8. Air suspension malfunction
Fixed under warranty. Apparently, a connection to the exhaust for the compressor was bad.

9. Rear wiper chattering
They could not find anything wrong with it but I just replaced the wiper blade as a precaution.

10. Ticking sound from passenger side footwell even with a/c off
Servo motor for a/c was replaced under warranty.

11. Center console cupholder cover difficult to open
Replaced entire center console under warranty but forgot to transfer some parts over.

Last edited by markpaco; 10-06-06 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-04-06, 07:41 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

'05 33 23000 miles.

1. RF headlight fogged up - replaced
2. rear wiper is a POS - won't replace since they say it is the new, improved model.
3. roof rails lock won't release - parts are in and now need to take the car in
4. Any TSBs out there that I don't know about?
Very minor things, especially considering that I never use the roof rack. But if they install it, I want it to work. I only move them when washing and waxing. I can live with the wiper but I question why Lexus continues with such a wimpy design?

This is my wife's car and at least once a week she says to me "I love my car". So, if she is happy, I am happy.
Old 10-05-06, 06:06 AM
lok888
Pole Position

It seems the leaking and fogged up headlights are like in the top five of the repair list. So I checked the headlights on my a month old RX350 this morning. No water/moisture in the lens, but noticed some moisture at the edge like the black rubber seal area, like near the amber/orange reflector, both headlights. Isn't it something I should be concern? Isn't it what you guys have been mentioning? Or water/moisture really gets into the lens assemble?
Old 10-06-06, 03:09 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lok888
No water/moisture in the lens, but noticed some moisture at the edge like the black rubber seal area, like near the amber/orange reflector, both headlights. Isn't it something I should be concern? Isn't it what you guys have been mentioning? Or water/moisture really gets into the lens assemble?
My condensation was like HEAVY fogging you see on a bathroom mirror after a hot, long shower. The moisture was inside the clear leans and probably would dissipate with the headlights on and while driving. Obviously, I couldn't check it under those condition. Lexus didn't question it - just replaced it.
Gary
Old 10-07-06, 03:49 PM
lvn098
Rookie

I will have to take the new RX350 to the dealer, seems there is a noise coming from the left & right window glass, it comes and goes, but very annoying, seems like the glass is vibrating. Anyone has this problem?
Old 10-11-06, 08:14 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Today I noticed some rattling in the left side of the dash board (like a sqeak) and a bit of noise from the passenger side (not sure what it is)
Old 10-26-06, 09:48 PM
estecal
Driver School Candidate

My car has not even been close to my expectations on Lexus. I heard a lot of good about the high quality of Lexus before I bought it, but this is by far the worst car (from a quality point of view) I have ever owned. I have previously only owned European cars and even thou this car has scheduled service intervals that is about as frequent as the stops at the gas station, I still have to bring it to the dealership in-between to fix some problems (I never did this with any of my Audi's, VW's, Volvo's or Jag's) and below is a list of the major problems that I can remember:
  • Loose rear window (very load rattle)
  • Upgraded firmware in transmission - had about a 2 second delay after pressing the accelerator that scared me half to death a few times.
  • Loose sensor for rain sensing wipers - the wipers started when driving over uneven pavement and speed bumps.
  • Back seat and front passenger seats loose and rattling - had this fixed 3 times, but it keeps coming back.
  • The cross bars for the roof rack got stuck - replaced under warranty and then they started rattling, replaced again and same problem. Went back with that car again and was told that 'this is the way they are supposed to be ...'
  • Passenger side exterior rear view mirror stopped working - replace under warranty
  • Passenger side power window just started sounding like a chainsaw - this will be the next trip to the dealership ...

I thinking, what will be the next thing ...

Last edited by estecal; 10-26-06 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Forgot some words

Quick Reply: List problems you had so far with your RX330/350