RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Things I don't understand about the RX

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 07:02 PM
Rich Nedba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things I don't understand about the RX

RE: 2007 RX350

1) “I AGREE”:
So EVERY TIME your start the Navigation system you have to acknowledge with I Agree! I read it the first 20 times. I’ve got it now.

2) Programming the Key Fob:
A dealer ONLY option! We live 200 miles from the Lexus dealer and I am not allowed to open all the doors with a single click? Why limit my ability to reprogram this?

3) Seat Position Memory:
I am 5’ 11” and my wife is 4” 11”. So if she was the last driver I need to reposition the seat. But I have to squeeze in (no exaggeration), START THE CAR (it’s not enough to insert the key), to breath again. This just seems wrong.

4) Headlights and Safety:
Drive the RX350 at night, on a lonely unlit road, with only the low beams on. You can’t see anything above the solid black line. We have hit a deer and had one close call because visibility is so poor under these conditions. Sure, the bright lights fix that, but oncoming vehicles ?

5) Oil Changes:
Just bring it back to the dealer. 200 miles! I think not. No one will touch this engine in my area because Lexus changed to a canister oil filter that requires a SST (Special Service Tool) to remove. And the dealer will not send us the filters. That’s a “dealer service function”. I bought them on-line and made my own "SST".

6) Navigation System:
My wife won’t use the system we paid extra for because it’s just too complicated and inconsistent. Oh the system works, but only on IT’S terms. I'll have to work with her, but it could be easier.

And by the way. I wonder what the engine oil pressure is?

I thoroughly understand not confusing the average driver with statistics but why NEGATE them all together?

Last edited by Rich Nedba; 08-17-06 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Text Clean up
Old 08-16-06, 07:37 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oil changes on the RX are dealer only? Wtf! Anyone else heard of this? Ive never beard of anything like this especiall on an RX, they are dime a dozen. I feel ya on the lights too, they suck.
Old 08-16-06, 07:41 PM
Rich Nedba
Driver School Candidate

Th RX350 went to a canister type oil filter that requires a special tool to remove. You can do it, but it's a pain. I made my own tool and bought the filters on-line to go around the dealer.
Old 08-16-06, 07:47 PM
crosborne
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, more money than brains. Thank those stupid people that do stupid things and then sue somebody over it.
1. Wow, it takes, like, a whole second to hit "I agree"
2. 2 clicks opens all. It takes, like, less than a second to double tap. Plus there are valid reasons not to have all doors open with one click. Think about it. Your wife is by herself and there is a strange guy approaching the car. She clicks once to open the door so she can get in and into safety. But since one click opens all the doors, the strange guys slips in the other open door. Too bad one click didn’t just open her door and deny the stranger access to the other.
3. You think you have it bad? I’m 6’4” and my wife is 5’2”. A smart man would stand outside and hit the button to move the seat and then get in. Then again Lexus could have made it so you can push a key fob button to move the seat. That way when it rains I can move the seat before I open the door.
4. HIDs, Love them. You can get them aimed higher too. Mine haven’t been a problem, but maybe it’s because I don’t drive faster than conditions allow.
5. Any service station can change oil. If you are picky take it to a Toyota dealer. They service Lexus and I’ll bet there is one closer than 200 miles!
6. RTFM, read the freakin manual. My technologically challenged wife figured it out on the way home from the dealership. If you want to learn more about the NAV do a search for NAV or NAVIGATION and read.

BTW, why did you buy this car? You could have bought a few other vehicles, Acura MDX, BMX X5, Mercedes, Volvo. Did you even read anything on the forum before contributing your 2 posts on complaining about the RX350. If you are so dissatisfied you can still take it back... stupid.
Old 08-16-06, 08:07 PM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

RICH:

You need to do another edit and clean up some more text. "Dear" is an adjective for beloved; it is not a type of animal. "It's" is a contraction, not a possessive pronoun.

As for your observations, I don't agree with most of them, although I am not an engineer, do not change my own oil, and do not have an '07 (I have an '04).

First, the "I Agree" screen is annoying, but not enough to get worked up about, and does not convey to me a message from Lexus about my IQ. As for the interface, although you have a different GEN Nav system than I do, I find the operating system and menu structure very intuitive and easy to operate, especialy considering its complexity. Many reviews remark that it is one of the top Nav systems out there (with Accura). And, of course, we all know that no women understand anything about electronics.

Second: the dealer will program the key fob commands at any time; the salesman should have given you the list of options at the time of purchase, and you got a bad deal there. I've had these cars for 15 years and once you set the configuration you want, you seldom want to change them again, so it's not a big deal to get it set once to your liking. I have both my cars set to unlock all doors on one press, and to unlock all doors when "Park" is engaged. The other settings are not very important. (You are able to change some settings yourself, such as when the doors lock.) My guess is that a control panel to allow resetting of all these options by the user would be more trouble and expense than it is worth. (PS: I think on '06 and '07 you can also have the key fob set to open the back door when the other 4 doors are locked; on mine I have to unlock the side doors first, and only then can I remotely open the rear door -- who can live like that?)

The seat memory position buttons are interesting. I don't have a second driver, but I always thought that the memory buttons should go live when the driver's door is opened. I'm with you on this one.

As for the headlights, maybe you have a different system, because I don't find them inadequate at all. And what was that kid doing out on a road at night on a bike in the dark? I wonder if he can spell "contributory negligence"?

Finally, I'm too old and tired and stupid to change my oil any more, but I would bet that those filter things can be bought somewhere besides Lexus -- I think I saw that discussed here not too long ago. I'm not familiar with the "canister filter" but from what I know it sounds like a mess to fool around with in the garage.

And really finally, I have not seen a car, other than a Porsche, that had an engine oil pressure gague in 30 years. I installed one in one of my Audis years ago, and an oil temp gague also; I'm a big fan of the gague, but I have not felt the need for an oil pressure gague in quite a while. I am not bothered by its absence, and I resigned myself to live with the light years ago.

Even when I disagree with Lexus on some of their design decisions, I don't get the impression that Lexus thinks its customers are stupid. I don't; I can't imagine that Lexus does.
Old 08-16-06, 08:12 PM
Rich Nedba
Driver School Candidate

Well I don't mean to be agrumentative, but I feel I must respond.

1) Why do I have to say "I agree" - again. Sure it's only one click. It's no big deal. It's a death of a thousand little cuts. No more no less. There just is no reason for it.

2) Likewise two clicks is no big deal - but why make the reprogramming a dealer only option? It's obvious why almost every manufacturer handles the doors the same way as Lexus; but if we want to change it - let us! Other manufacturers do.

3) Maybe my seat adjuster is broke, because I would be VERY happy to hit the button before I got in. But on MY RX350 I have to start the engine first.

4) We don't drive faster than conditions either - and I don't appreciate the implication. But tall trees, pitch dark roads, no street lighting, and sharp curves ... In my opionion it's dangerous. I wouldn't want to raise the lights because of oncoming traffic.

5) Wrong - no local service station or Jiffy Lube or Express Lube will touch it. When I am out of town my wife tried them all. Maybe that will change over time, but for now, where I live, nada.

6) I totally agree with RTFM. That's what I did the first night I had the car. But I bought the Nav to assist my wife when I'm not there, and who (for whatever reason) has trouble with the user interface.

So why did we buy the car? My wife heard good things about the Lexus from her friends and she is so short that the power rear door made a lot of sense.

Don't get me wrong, I like the engineering quality of the vehicle in general. It's the little things that irritate.
Old 08-16-06, 08:21 PM
Rich Nedba
Driver School Candidate

tfischer

Thanks for your comments. I guess I got myself all worked up after a session today when I spilled coffee because I had to squeeze into the seat before I could adjust it. I know - I know - I shouldn't be drinking coffee in the Lexus. Save me the email.

I want to know the oil pressure but again I'm willing to search for it.

I thinking bringing the car 200 miles to the dealer for the key programming is difficult to handle. Not serious - just an Annoyance. Leave the key programming to me.

And I'd be willing to let someone else change the oil if I had that option.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow.
Old 08-16-06, 08:27 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your RX350 has a 2GR-FE engine type.

http://members.***.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf

This post references an oil change on an 2006 Avalon, with the 2GR-FE.
You see the filter is a kind of kit, with several parts and seals.
The special service tool is the drain spout.
It and the O-ring seals are included with the filter ... $6.50 retail

The filter for the 2GR-FE should be available at a hopefully closer Toyota dealer
The RX350 filter numbers are 04152-31090 ; subs to 04152-YZZA1

Last edited by Tammy; 08-17-06 at 02:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BleBet (08-28-23)
Old 08-16-06, 08:39 PM
LexFather

The only thing I find stupid is this thread title so I am editing it.
Lexus clearly isn't stupid, what they have accomplished in 17 years is nothing short of REMARKABLE in the auto industry.

I'm not saying not to buy a RX but if you read before this issues, you could have went with someone else.
Old 08-16-06, 10:21 PM
salimshah

Received 1,006 Likes on 909 Posts

Some things just take a bit of time to get used to (become second habit) and some annoying things have good reasons to be there. It seems your post has irritated a few.

1. I agree thinggy ... annoyance but needed to hedge from legal issues .. (you will have to learn to live with it).
2 Cbest settings. At the time of sale the sales person should have gone over the options to customize them for you and your spouse. As a courtesy, the dealer would do the settings for you at least once and don't be surprized/shocked if they charge you for subsequent changes. The deafults settings are reasonably good and work for +95% buyers. Double unlock click does what you want to do by default.
3. Seat adjustor should work at all times except when gear shifter is in moving position. Have it checked.
4. Headlights may need alignment. You will get a sharp cutoff with HID. which is preferred as you get max light till that point (opposed to diffused spread). There are situations when you need the high beams (which a good driver would cut on approaching traffic) so use them.
5. Feel good about the new filter as the old filter would trap oil. You can always purchase the special tool and the filter kit from Lexus parts dept. Once you have them, you or any mechanic should be able to do the oil change. Oil change chains usullay do not carry the filter kit or the sst so their refusal is undestandable. My first Lexus bought 8 yrs ago, does not list oil change procedure in the user manual. Lexus philosophy seems to be ... you have a car to drive. If maintainance is required just bring it bye and we give you a loaner.
6. Husbands and fathers are poor teachers, but be patient and teach your wife how to use the Nav. It is fairly intutive, and if you have specific question, post it here and some one will share short cut.

Oil pressure: The idiot light is all that you get. There are after market gauges, but generally the displays do not fit well. I grew up with a car with one and still remember the oil leak in the cluster. If you use the right grade of oil, the idiot light should be good enough [granted the gauge gives more info, but the light is needed to draw attention].

Dont let the little things rob the joy of owning one of the best vehicles. Enjoy your ride.

Cant help you much, if the closest dealer is 200 miles. Call your sales person or service dept to discuss what to do for minor things. Toyota dealership (hopfully local) might be able to help you out.

Salim
Old 08-16-06, 10:25 PM
RXSF

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

you can adjust the headlights yourself with a simple philips head...open the hood and you will see directions on the headlight (refer to owners manual)

if the key is not in the car, you can also change the seats via the memory buttons when the car is obviously off. Its simple...unlock car, open door press button immediatly!

lol
Old 08-17-06, 01:59 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I don't believe in a perfect car. There are no perfect cars since all cars are made to appeal to a mass number of people. Everyone has the right to complain about their own cars if they want. Telling someone to buy a different car is useless and it is possible this car was the best compromise over the others since no car is perfect. My advice to the starter of this post is to simply do some research and see if there are solutions to some of your complaints before posting. If not, then complain away.

Honestly, when I am looking at a new car and visit the various forums I specifically look for the problem and complaint posts. That way I can see what real owners dislike about their cars and if I can live with those complaints/problems.
Old 08-17-06, 05:13 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

I agree that the "I Agree" screen is a little redundant. But I live with it. As for the seat memory my "old" 2005 RX Thundercloud and my previous 1998 GS300 can both be activated once the door is open and before you sit down in the seat. Once you sit in the seat you must start the vehicle, but if you hit the momory button before getting in the seat will move to the new position.

As for oil changes, well I live 306 miles from my Lexus dealer and have had them do it once, since then I go to my local Toyota dealer and have it done there. The Highlander uses the same filter I believe and they have Toyota oil there too. Sure my serve is no where the same as what I get at my Lexus dealer. Heck, their waiting area has a couple chairs, a news rack with a few 3 month old magazines (Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, Newsweek and a few others), today's local paper and a 50 cup coffee maker. But they do know how to change the oil in my RX. I can even have them do the tire rotation as listed on the maintance list and get it all done for about $50.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud
Old 08-17-06, 05:49 AM
born2run
Driver School Candidate

I use a portable GPS NAV made by Garmin.... and there is an "I agree" screen that comes up every time I use it. Yes, it's annoying, but it's not a Lexus issue.... although you're certainly welcome to complain about our legal system :-)
Old 08-17-06, 06:14 AM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

I think the point here is that this car is so well designed and executed that all we have to complain about is this dull and insignificant stuff.

It would probably do us all some good to find a Range Rover forum somewhere and see what they are talking about. I bet it's not how many doors unlock when you press a button on the side of the key.

Quick Reply: Things I don't understand about the RX