RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Does Lexus have a deal with Apple Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 07:52 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Does Lexus have a deal with Apple Yet?

The following article is from yesterday's wires.

Although any deal with Apple would be of no immediate help to current owners, it would certainly seem to be a big advantage to buyers of new models, many of whom are owners of current models. BMW, I think, was the first to do this 2 years ago, probably because it recognized that its upmarket owner's demographics overlapped with that of iPod owners. After two years, GM caught on. Can Lexus (or Toyota) be far behind?

I don't plan to buy another Lexus soon, but who knows. If so, the iPod connection would be nice.

Look for something like this in your local fishwrap:
================================================

August 3, 2006
Apple to Integrate iPod With Car Radios
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:50 p.m. ET

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- In the latest boost to its dominance in portable music players, Apple Computer Inc. is teaming with General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Mazda Motor Corp. to integrate the iPod into car audio systems.

GM and Ford are the nation's No. 1 and No. 2 automakers, and the new alliances mean the iconic audio gadget will now be compatible with more than 70 percent of the new 2007 model vehicles sold in the United States, Apple said Thursday.

GM and Mazda will offer iPod integration on all new models, Apple said, and Ford will offer it on many of its Ford and Lincoln Mercury models later this year.

Carmakers say they are responding to a booming trend in which sales of iPods and other MP3 players are predicted to more than double from 58 million units in 2005 to 132 million in 2009.

The iPod holds about a 75 percent share of the portable player market in the U.S.

Working with the iPod maker is part of increasing effort by Ford and other car companies to make it easier on drivers to access a variety of gadgets -- from cell phones and navigation systems to music players -- while on the road.

''Consumers are listening to music, they're messaging each other, and they want to engage in all those activities in their vehicles but in a safe manner,'' said Doug VanDagens, director of Ford's product and business development in the electronics group.

Germany's BMW AG two years ago incorporated iPods directly into its car audio systems, allowing users to plug the music player into an adapter that goes into the glove box and access the iPod's music library through the car's standard controls.

By last fall, as sales of the iPod continued to surge, Apple had signed similar deals with about a dozen more car companies, including Acura, Audi, Ferrari, Honda, Nissan, and Volkswagen.

Ford said Thursday it will offer the iPod integration as a dealer-installed option called ''TripTunes Advanced'' at a suggested price of about $200, plus installation. An adapter that doubles as a battery-charging station would go in either the glove box or center storage console. Users would then be able to control the iPod through buttons on the steering wheel or the radio. Playlists, artists, and other song information will also be displayed on the cars' systems.

In addition, Ford plans to add auxiliary audio input jacks on nearly half its lineup, starting this fall. Tunes from any gadget -- iPods, other MP3 or CD music players, cell phones and game handhelds -- will then be playable on the cars' audio systems without the need for extra adapters or FM transmitters.

Demand for built-in satellite radio features has also prompted Ford to expand its relationship with Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. VanDagens said more than 90 percent of Ford and Lincoln Mercury cars will offer satellite radio by the 2008 model year.

GM said it will offer its iPod-only setup called ''Personal Audio Link'' at dealerships for all 56 of its models at a suggested retail price of less than $160, plus installation.

''We know our music-loving customers have been clamoring for a system like this, but we were determined not to go into the market with one unless it was truly integrated, easy to use and affordable,'' said Nancy Philippart, executive director of GM accessories. ''I think this system will be music to our customers' ears.''

Indeed, analysts say U.S. automakers are once again lagging behind foreign companies in new features, but in this case, ''at least they're finally getting more attuned to what consumers want,'' said Art Spinella of CNW Marketing Research.

The new iPod option particularly could help struggling GM, which has been attracting younger customers in recent years. ''It won't translate into sales in a dramatic way, but it certainly keeps customers from discarding the brand or its cars while shopping,'' Spinella said.

GM lost $10.6 billion last year and is under threat of losing its title as the world's largest automaker. Ford also has been losing market share to Asian manufacturers for a decade and has been badly stung by high gas prices because big trucks and sport utility vehicles account for a majority of the vehicles it sells.
Old 08-04-06, 09:27 AM
srashid
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they need to do a 'deal' with Apple to offer iPod integration?

I would have thought they just come up with something similar to the Vaistech unit and offer it as an option through the dealer or from the factory. In fact they should be doing this already, maybe just re-selling the Vaistech unit and backing it with a Lexus warranty, because I bet they lose some sales through not having iPod integration.

I think the best solution would be a USB port on the car's system so you can play music, podcasts, even video via any cheap USB storage device. There was an ad in a car mag I got recently for the new Chrysler (Sebring I think) which will have this feature, plus it has a 64k color screen, which I think beats the Lexus Gen 5 screen.
Old 08-04-06, 09:54 AM
tfischer

My guess is that they need a deal to use the full force of the multi-purpose connector on the bottom of the new iPods, like the Nano. That plug includes recharging, input, output, text and image connections, as well as file selection, fast forward, skip and other controls -- basically everything to allow remote control and remote readouts. My guess is that this connection is tied up with patents that prevent anyone from marketing such a connector without permission.

They certainly don't need any agreement to use the audio out earphone jack, which is universal for any MP3 player or other audio player. The feature being offered by this deal is that essentially you would "dock" your iPod in the glove box or the center console, where it would sit out of sight (or at least out of the way) and get recharged, while you use the standard dash and wheel audio controls to select and skip songs -- the dash radio/CD/Tape readouts would function with even more information than is available now, such as song title, arttist, play time, track info, etc.

Full integration means you make one connection between the iPod and the car and your standard car controls operate the iPod and provide full readouts. Even the Vasitech units do not offer this.

A standard USB port or a standard MP3 plug would allow only for direct transmittal of the music to the amp. This would be one step forward, but would not allow for charging the iPod's battery, which is much desired, and would not allow for either track selection or for transmission of "tag" information to the car's audio system. You still have to have the device (iPod, usually) at hand to select tracks and fast forward and skip tracks and even to see on the tiny screen what is playing, etc. Unless these functions are "integrated," the solution is only partial and far from satisfactory.

The question is whether iPod users will pay extra for this. Some will, and some never think of using their iPod in the car very much. On longer trips, it's great, but right now, the available technology makes it a pain to set up and use on a short drive.

For the iPod to work, it has to be quick in and quick out; that's a big reason the whole iTunes/Podcast system works. The whole thing is done quickly and with very little user intervention. Podcasts are downloaded to the computer automatically, and are transferred to the iPod as soon as you sit it in the little dock, which also charges it. To get this plug and play aspect working in a car would be a great feature, but I think it would take a "deal" with Apple to make it happen seamlessly.

The attorneys at Ford and GM think so, and they don't give those jobs to chimps.
Old 08-04-06, 10:04 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I was about to trade my 04 RX330 for the new 350 this year but since it is lacking this vital interface I decided to wait. So yes it is costing Lexus sales. I want full integration and am willing to wait until I get it.
Old 08-04-06, 11:18 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I was about to trade my 04 RX330 for the new 350 this year but since it is lacking this vital interface I decided to wait. So yes it is costing Lexus sales. I want full integration and am willing to wait until I get it.
You can have full integration right now with Vaistech.
Old 08-04-06, 12:26 PM
tfischer

32K says "You can have full integration right now with Vaistech," but he obviously defines "full" quite differently from most iPod users.
Old 08-04-06, 12:39 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

You can control everything through the NAV screen in the CD/MP3 emulation mode. How's that not full integration?
Old 08-04-06, 12:48 PM
Drocay
Pole Position

its def full i bought the Vaistech for my Landcruiser its great.
Old 08-04-06, 01:30 PM
tfischer

32K: I did not know that. If so, I agree that's pretty full control, although less than full iPod integration. I was probably thinking of posts that mentioned that the up/down buttons on the steering wheel do not operate to change tracks (but of course the volume controls would). Do the MP3 tags show up on the screen of the NAV system? That would be a part of "really full" integration. And what do people without NAV systems do? I agree that the Vaistech system offers the most features so far, and maybe even full control from the NAV screen, but I would not call it fully integrated, as that term is used by Apple and the auto manufacturers mentioned in the news report.

DROCAY: what?
Old 08-04-06, 01:53 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

You can use the up/down buttons on the steering wheel to change track through the Vaistech unit, as well as display playlists, artists, etc. on the NAV screen. Those without the NAV can view the song information on the radio screen, although it's a hassle to scroll through the tracks this way. On the NAV screen, you can pull up the playlists and select among them much like you do on the ipod itself, at least on the RX350. The screen won't allow you to display the playlists while the car is in motion though, but it's a safety feature by Toyota/Lexus that applies to everything else so it's not Vaistech's fault.
Old 08-04-06, 01:59 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

If you are referring to the AVIC-100i A/V Auxiliary Input Adapter with Apple® iPod™ interface, the manufacturer states that the product is currently not available. So what model are you speaking of and where can it be seen and installed?
Old 08-04-06, 02:02 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Vaistech SLI. This one has a dedicated input for ipod and one universal auxiliary input.
Old 08-04-06, 03:44 PM
tfischer

32K:

That sounds much more sophisticated than I thought it was.

But the configuration I want to see is a design that puts the iPod scroll wheel and center button right in the middle of the steering wheel.

Very convenient.

You can use this idea if you give me credit.
Old 08-04-06, 04:00 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

tfischer,

Why don't you get the Vaistech unit for your exisiting Lexus if you have an ipod?
Old 08-05-06, 06:52 AM
tfischer

I don't have the vaistech unit for several reasons.

First, it's too expensive for the amount of use it would get.

Two, I don't want to mess at all with the audio or NAV system.

Three, the adapter I have (pictured below in my SC) works very well for my purposes -- it charges the iPod and plays the sound through the vestigal cassette deck, which gets no other use. I can position the unit on its flexible stalk to where I can read the screen and reach the controls easily.

Four, as a variation on Number 1, both of my Lexus cars have an ML audio system with NAV, so to do it right I would have to get two Vaistech units. My use of the iPod is mostly on longer trips of an hour or more, and although I try to take the SC on such trips because it is more comfortable and more powerful, in the winter I often have no choice. My adapter works in either car and cost me about $50.00, as I recall.

Here's the adapter I use:
Attached Thumbnails Does Lexus have a deal with Apple Yet?-ipod-in-sc430-on-stalk.jpg  

Quick Reply: Does Lexus have a deal with Apple Yet?