RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus Halts Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-06, 03:50 PM
jamesfabin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lexus Halts Sirius Radio

My Lexus dealer just told me there is a halt on Sirius radios by Lexus. Does anyone have any information on this?

I just purchased my first Lexus (2007 RX350 AWD loaded) late last month and Sirius was a must-have in my next vehicle (had it in my previous vehicle). The dealer told me Sirius was available, and I paid for it in my lease (and have it documented on the sales contract). If I had been told Sirius wasn't available for the RX350, I would have looked at an alternative vehicle.

Any information or suggestions? I haven't called Lexus Consumer Affairs yet, will be calling them later today or tomorrow for their input. It usually takes a couple days for information like this to populate thru their facilities, so I want to give them time to be prepared with an answer.

James
Old 07-24-06, 04:04 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are having similar discussions in the IS forum. it looks like they are closer to a solution, but glitches with the new Gen 5 nav system are the holdup. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224837

in any case, we went thru the same thing with our GS w/ Gen 4 nav. Sirius was new to it, while XM was out very early. i think we didn't have sirius available until about 5-6 months after launch.
Old 07-24-06, 04:45 PM
jamesfabin
Driver

Default Sirius Halted

Just got off the phone with Lexus Consumer Affairs. Sirius is halted and there is no ETA.

Lexus passed my information to someone who will call me back later this week. I'm not sure what the solution will be. I must have Sirius - actually, I have Sirius and am paying for it, just can't get it in my new RX350. Once you've been driving with Sirius, you can't live without it. Not only does it have Howard, but the Local Traffic (LA) is extremely helpful. I'll keep everyone updated on what I learn from Lexus.

Question: Who has Sirius installed in their Lexus and are you having any issues with it?

James
Old 07-24-06, 08:44 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by jamesfabin
Just got off the phone with Lexus Consumer Affairs. Sirius is halted and there is no ETA.

Lexus passed my information to someone who will call me back later this week. I'm not sure what the solution will be. I must have Sirius - actually, I have Sirius and am paying for it, just can't get it in my new RX350. Once you've been driving with Sirius, you can't live without it. Not only does it have Howard, but the Local Traffic (LA) is extremely helpful. I'll keep everyone updated on what I learn from Lexus.

Question: Who has Sirius installed in their Lexus and are you having any issues with it?

James

James,

My dealer is totally beating around the bush about this...so your information makes sense. I actually told the parts manager AND the sales manager at my dealer yesterday that "I think I know more than they do" and told them to get the same definitive information you have received...which I actually blame Lexus for since they are clearly not keeping their dealers proactively informed.

Since I got my RX350 in March I have been slumming it with a Sirius Starmate Reply which, all things considered, works pretty well. It's just plain ugly since I haven't really mounted it...I just lay the antenna on a sticky pad on the dash and plug in the cigarette adapter....

Like you I bought this car on the promise of Sirius factory installed...so a clear answer from Lexus is critical. I am dying to find out what is so wierd about the Gen V Nav...as an actual nav system it's awesome.....

Unfortunately....I just checked the Lexus web site. For the first time they have taken the Sirius logo off the parts/accessory page for the RX 350. Bummer.

--Scott
Old 07-24-06, 10:55 PM
jamesfabin
Driver

Default Sirius Update

I got a voicemail from my dealership which said Lexus had contacted them about my Sirius issue. The voicemail offered 2 solutions:

1) Install XM, and the person went into some details on the benefits of XM and said it is better. I strongly disagree, I've been a Sirius subscriber for some time now and have used XM in numerous rental cars and KNOW that Sirius is the better choice for me (and I am a Stern fan)
2) Refund my $995 I paid for the Sirius option (shown on my purchase contract)

I called back and left a voicemail that neither option was acceptable - Not only did I confirm with the dealer Sirius was available for the new RX350 (I even did so just the day before taking deliever), I also called Lexus Consumer Affairs and confirmed this. I also had Lexus Consumer Affairs do a number of vehicle searches for me to find the exact vehicle I wanted. I explained that this was part of my purchase decision - if I had known Sirius wasn't available, I would not have included Lexus on my shopping list. Lack of Sirius is what knocked the Acura RL off my list - I like the car, ride quality, high tech options (Adaptive Cruise Control - yeah!), but when the salesperson said no Sirius I had to walk.

At this point I do not know what the solution is, but I'm certain Lexus will find a solution. Outside of the transmission hesitation and transmission studder, I'm happy with the vehicle. With Sirius installed (integrated into the system as it was sold to me and listed in my contract) and the transmission issues fixed I'd be a perfectly happy camper. I'm going to call Lexus back tomorrow to verify someone from Lexus HQ will be calling back with a solution and that the dealers call wasn't the one I'm expecting.

I have a book I got from my Lexus dealer talking about how great Lexus is with its customers - reading the book in the showroom helped finalize my choice in Lexus. I was so impressed I asked to purchase the book and the dealer presented me one as a gift. Outstanding buying experience - and I'm certain Lexus will resolve the Sirius solution quickly.

Did you have the Sirius option including in your purchase? That is the part which really makes this an issue Lexus has to resolve for me. It was an important part of my purchase decision, and I have it included in the purchase agreement. At this point in time it looks like Lexus sold me a vehicle they couldn't offer, and they kept me holding on for 4 weeks expecting the part to arrive for installation.

James
Old 07-24-06, 11:51 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

James,

I did not buy Sirius at the time of the RX350 purchase because back in March Lexus was saying "Summer 2006" and that was months away and I figured I could buy when it was available. Since I was able to use the Starmate Reply as a "temp thing" I was willing to wait for the right dealer installed option....

Here is what is SO strange about this.....what could possibly be so difficult about the Gen V Nav that (a) there can't be a new Gen V wiring harness created that would suppor tthe existing Sirius Connect tuners that are out there (and available from lexus-parts.com for only about $300....or (b) that one satellite company (XM) would work and Sirius would not.

I have to believe that somebody will figure out what works so well with the XM unit on the Gen V nav and get the wiring harness that is readily available for Gen III and Gen V Lexus systems and Sirius to work on the Gen V. I would be much more worried if NO satellite radio service actually worked. The VAIS guys figured out the Gen V wiring for the SLI iPod kit...why can't Sirius or an aftermarket company get something going for Gen V?

You are in a MUCH better position to negotiate something because you actually purchased Sirius for your 350.....A specific, technically-oriented explanation would be the least you should expect given your situation.

--Scott
Old 07-25-06, 12:11 AM
MJMeucci
Driver

I don't know much about Sat radio but doesn't vaistech have a product offering that allows you to integrate
sirius?
Old 07-25-06, 06:53 AM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by MJMeucci
I don't know much about Sat radio but doesn't vaistech have a product offering that allows you to integrate
sirius?
They have a product that integrates XM, not Sirius (SLX)...though you could use their generic Aux port support on the SLI to integrate a 3rd party Sirius radio without using FM...but it won't integrate with the Nav Screen.

I really think the alternative to direct Lexus support for Sirius will be somebody figuring out the wiring harness for Gen V Nav that can use existing Siris Connect receivers....

--Scott
Old 07-25-06, 11:47 AM
jamesfabin
Driver

Default Update on Lexus Drops Sirius

I just got off the phone with Lexus HQ about the Sirius issue. From the looks of things, Lexus is going to be XM only for some time - there is no ETA on when, or even IF, Lexus will support Sirius. I asked if there were any "Beta" programs I could get on to have Sirius installed or if any older Lexus models Sirius radios could be retro-fitted to work - but none of those options exist.

It pretty much boils down to Sirius isn't available - even though Lexus HQ, the Dealer, and the Lexus.com website all said it was when I purchased my vehicle less then a month ago (and the Sirius purchase is included on my Lease Agreement). The dealer has offered to install XM (which doesn't have what I want - and I'm prepaid on my Sirius account), or to refund my $995 for the Sirius radio (which doesn't resolve the issue - I know have a car that doesn't have what I wanted when I purchased it).

They left the door open for me to tell them how I would like for them to resolve this issue. What are suggestions from other Lexus owners? Sirius is a MUST have for me - I turned down competitors vehicles that were XM only, that's how serious I am about Sirius. What solutions have others found for getting Sirius to work correctly (and integrated - I am not going to drive with some extra unit attached to the dash)? Looking for suggestions....

James
Old 07-25-06, 11:48 AM
beachbum
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Halts Sirus Radio

I have XM in my 350 and Highlander. Just went with mounting brackets. Looks crappy but works. Better than having to listen to FM radio around here. I have mounts on my two motorcycles to use one of the units.
Old 07-25-06, 11:59 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

James,

Legally, unless the lease being contingent on the installation of the integrated Sirius radio is written into the agreement, you have no right to demand a car with such a system. Lexus may, however, bend backward and take back the lease and give you a different car or find a suitable solution if they want to make you happy. So I hope things work out for you at the end.
Old 07-25-06, 01:51 PM
jamesfabin
Driver

Default Lexus and Sirius

I'd rather keep the car and find a solution that works (I just went thru a buy-back from Infiniti and don't want to go thru that process again - Infiniti did make it smooth, but it's just the whole shopping for another car part that I can do without). I'm confident there has to be an alternative solution I'm not seeing. I purchased the car fully loaded, so I can't ask to install some other option that I would use (I already have everything, plus some I don't need). The only 2 options I don't have, are the air suspension (I know that cant be installed) and the Laser Cruise Control (This I would like to have, had it on my Infiniti and loved it when it worked).

I guess I'm hoping someone will post a third party option that they had a dealer install that works well. I'd rather have a limited integration then some box sitting on my dash. With something like that I could work out a solution with Lexus.

One point I would like to make clear, while I'm not happy with Lexus direction with Sirius, everyone I've spoken with at Lexus and the dealer has been cooperative and appears to be willing to work out a solution. The hard part is finding the solution.

James
Old 07-25-06, 06:44 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

James,

In all of your conversations with Lexus, did they give you any specific (technical) reason why this Sirius/Gen V integration issue is such a big deal? It clearly must be major....

I just can't figure out what is so different between an XM receiver/wiring harness to the Gen V environment and those from Sirius that could allow one to work fine and the other to be a complete non-option right now.

I hope the folks at Vaistech are listening to this and thinking through some solutions.....hopefully.

Like you this was a MAJOR requirement for me in my purchase of the RX350. I am talking to my dealer tomorrow (equipped with what you have found out) and looking for solutions as well. It pisses me off since I easily like this vehicle more than any other I have purchased.

--Scott

P.S. Just out of curiousity...does anybody know who manufactures the OEM radio/audio assembly in the RX350?
Old 07-26-06, 10:50 AM
jamesfabin
Driver

No technical details on what the problem is. Each time I call I get read the same script - I even mentioned that to the last person I spoke to when they started reading it. I've spent the night looking for a solution - I was hoping to find some type of XM to Sirius converter, but it looks like the only one being produced is for GM vehicles.

I even tried to determine how an external Sirius unit would fit into the car, but the design of the dash doesn't have any spots that would be out-of the way, yet still visable and usable.

Good Luck with your dealer. Let me know what you find out.

James
Old 07-26-06, 11:15 AM
richbutler
Rookie

i have the 2007 es350 and have sirius that is fully integrated into gen V nav installed as part of their stardard package.

Quick Reply: Lexus Halts Sirius Radio