RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus Halts Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 10:21 AM
jamesfabin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,

I agree 100% with you that it's not the dealers fault, but Lexus itself. My dealership has been very cooperative in trying to find a solution, but Lexus itself has pretty much left me - a first time Lexus owner - to fend for myself in finding a solution. For me Sirius is a selling point - I turned down the IS350 back in January since I could not purchase one with Sirius. Then in June Lexus got a second chance as I looked to purchase another vehicle. I needed something roomy, and was about to buy the Acura RL (with Technology package) when I learned it only had XM. I said Thanks and left the Acura Dealership. I was down the the Merc ML, BMW X3 or 5 series, Audi S4 wagon, and Lexus RX350 and GS450h. I put fuel economy and reliability high up on my list (in the past brand outranked those, and my BMW purchase history shows that), which gave the RX350 the lead over the Merc ML. It appeared I could get everything I wanted in the RX350, the only issue was locating one with the Performance Package. After a few weeks of searching, posting online, and having Lexus do searches for me - I made the decision I could live without the Performance Package. I confirmed numerous times that Sirius was available - I didn't want a mistake of picking up a vehicle and having XM. If at deliver Lexus would have told me they halted Sirius, I would have then looked at aftermarket alternatives and based on what I've found so far, would have either purchased the GS 450h or the Merc ML.

Today I've just passed my one month ownership mark, have spent hours and hours researching this Sirius issue, and am not getting any help from Lexus itself. Again, the dealership is helping search for alternatives, but it appears there are none at this time. I'm at a loss - for me going with Sirius isn't an option, and I've been without it for a month now. Outside of feeling I was shafted and left out to dry, I like the RX350 - it drives well, has good power for an SUV, gets a satisfying MPG, and offers a high comfort level for me and my passengers. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone interested in it.

The other negative (for Lexus) in this issue is that my BMW Z4 3.0 is at end of Lease in September. When I purchased the RX350 I was thinking I would replace the BMW with the GS450h in September. Based on my dealership and a Sirius option I've found for it, it will still be my shopping list. But if Lexus doesn't step up and find a solution for this issue, Lexus won't be on my next shopping list.

James
Old 07-31-06, 03:56 PM
bulwinkl24
Rookie

Originally Posted by davidrossh
For me it's the principle of getting what you pay for and holding a manufacturer who claims supreme excellence to abide by their own standards...whew...thats alot of typing...
i feel the exact same way. had i known lexus didnt have their crap together, i wouldve never bought one.
Old 08-03-06, 11:14 AM
unrealii
Driver

spikerjack,
Dont worry about the 8v outputs. It will just confuse them further. Stick to the sirius problem.

Navigation will disable itself when in motion. Eclipse units do this too. There are probably some hacks out there to bypass that feature. It may interfere with some systems as the navigation supposedly uses speed and steering inputs when you have poor gps signal.

If you want the radio diagram, go here: http://techinfo.toyota.com/ pay $10 and download all the info you could ever want in 24 hours.
Old 08-04-06, 09:33 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VAIS Technology is currently testing their SLS Sirius Radio adapter with an expected September availability. I have the SLX XM Radio adapter in my 2006 RX400h, and it integrates perfectly with my head unit. Hopefully the VAISTech SLS will help those of you unable to get the Sirius option from Lexus directly.

http://www.vaistech.com/forums/announcement.php?f=15
Old 08-04-06, 04:40 PM
aj786
Driver School Candidate

Default GS450h and Sirius

I bought my GS 450h a month ago and am still waiting for Sirius to be available. My dealer also told me there was some technical problem with the Sirius so it is on hold.

Recently, from a reliable source I heard there were some financial or political issues with Sirius.

I just saw this entire thread and also feel there is no technical problem it is something else.

Richard is the only one that has a gen V nav with Sirius from the dealer. Are there any others with the Sirius Sat. Any GS 450h owners, IS 350 owners?

I am also interested in what Scott finds out from eclipse.

Thanks.
-AJ

Old 08-06-06, 11:01 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by litzdog911
VAIS Technology is currently testing their SLS Sirius Radio adapter with an expected September availability. I have the SLX XM Radio adapter in my 2006 RX400h, and it integrates perfectly with my head unit. Hopefully the VAISTech SLS will help those of you unable to get the Sirius option from Lexus directly.

http://www.vaistech.com/forums/announcement.php?f=15

Well this is VERY good news...at least as the first publicly announced 3rd party option for Nav-integrated Sirius for Gen V Lexus vehicles. Many, many details hopefully forthcoming....

1) Will this work in a situation where the Vais SLI unit for iPod is already installed?
2) What specific Sirius receiver are they using?
3) What antenna are they supplying?
4) Will their approach solve the 10 character song limit on the Nav screen? Their XM unit supports 16 characters....
5) Total cost?

I guess we will see in the next month or so....

--Scott
Old 08-06-06, 11:03 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by unrealii
spikerjack,
Dont worry about the 8v outputs. It will just confuse them further. Stick to the sirius problem.

Navigation will disable itself when in motion. Eclipse units do this too. There are probably some hacks out there to bypass that feature. It may interfere with some systems as the navigation supposedly uses speed and steering inputs when you have poor gps signal.

If you want the radio diagram, go here: http://techinfo.toyota.com/ pay $10 and download all the info you could ever want in 24 hours.

Should have some details from Eclipse/Fujitsu TEN tomorrow or Tuesday as I used one of my corporate contacts to get a key name. No promises...but am curious to see what I can find out...

--Scott