RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Vaistech SLI installation instructions w/ pics for 04-07 RX

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 09:48 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will know if the emulation mode is correct if it's operating correctly. the only thing is that if it's not, then you have to gain access to the unit to set it up properly, so i would suggest testing it while you are there in case they have to re-do it... another benefit to installing yourself, you will know how to get to it easily and quickly. (i don't know where they plan to place it) another thing is that knowing how to get to it is good for firmware updates. i've actually sent mine to Vais to get it updated for the I AGree bypass.

i think the mfr void would be a tough issue for them to win. the Vais unit is 100% plug n play solution so it is easily removed and does not alter the nav unit in any way. it is connected via a custom harness made by Vais that connects to the factory RADIO assembly. no permanent alterations are made to the car at all.

i have actually cut the wires on my nav unit to allow the Rear DVD system to work up front. something like this obviously does void the warranty related to nav. but the Vais unit is like plugging in a tape cassette adapter except much much cleaner.

anyway, everyone has a personal tolerance for risk and i waited 50,000 miles to do my DVD hack just in case but yeah, $800 is alot. if you lived in So Cal i would be happy to help you install. good luck w/ the unit and car!
Old 10-04-07, 10:23 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoeRX
I agree it seems like a rip, but I don't want to run into an issue with the nav system in 18 months and then have them tell me that I'm out of warranty because I installed aftermarket components that damaged the unit. This stuff can break, and it costs thousands to replace, and I want to make sure that they don't have an excuse for not covering it.

So, in a way, I'm paying the extra money as an insurance policy of sorts.
at least before you do, call other dealers and find out exactly which unit they are using and how much they want total. dealers vary a lot in terms of quality and how much they charge. Who knows another dealer in another town might charge 100 or more less. i agree witht he person who psted above me, the vaistech unit is all plug and play, if and when you decide to remove it nobody will know that it was ever there.
Old 10-04-07, 07:08 PM
sewnsurg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Vaistech install on 2007 RX350

Thank you for the superb instructions. Worked lilke a charm for me. I'm actually installing a Sirius satellite receiver rather than iPod.
Old 10-07-07, 07:02 PM
kpblade
Driver School Candidate

Just put mine in today. I actually dropped one of the radio's bolts, *&$%#(@)*$&((#*. I hope it doesn't cause any rattling. I have a basic question. I have a 2008 RX 350 with Navi and premium sound system. I have the Vais unit set to MP-3 emulation. I think I get all the iPod info on the "AUDIO" screen that I'm supposed to get, but I get no info on the radio LCD readout. It does say CD2, but "No text" when the "text" button is pushed. Is this the correct functionality of the unit. Thanks
Old 10-22-07, 08:07 PM
JoeRX
Driver School Candidate

Back to my dealer install. They put it in last Monday and it's been working great since then. The unit was the SL2i. It was installed in CD Changer mode, which works well. I can't believe how much better this sounds than my old FM transmitter!!!

One thing: I had a friend plug his iPhone in and it worked fine except that he got a warning on the iPhone screen that the VaisTech unit was not iPhone compatible and may cause issues; it also offered to put the phone in 'airplane mode' if he pressed the OK button on the iPhone screen. He pressed cancel instead, and the music started playing as it was supposed to. However, he didn't get any calls or SMS messages while we were playing music... maybe this would have messed things up?

Anyone use an iPhone with the VaisTech SL2i? How about an iPod Touch?
Old 12-21-07, 11:10 AM
fud
Rookie

Thank you for this amazing post LexusLover! I was able to install the VAIS system myself. Except I dropped my screw driver at the end when taking all the tools out and now there's a little chip on the corner of my panel! and the light below comes out making it look a a crack on my shifterbox. =| The layer of paint is really really thin!!!! Make sure not to drop anything on it guys! But still looks ok.
Old 12-24-07, 05:38 PM
HawaiiMac
Driver School Candidate

Aloha JoeRX,

Do you have an update for the iPhone situation? The way it's supposed to work, at least for phone calls, as that the iPhone pairs with the RX and the audio mutes for the phone calls. That's the way my 2008 RX350 works - I don't have the VAIStech box installed yet, however. The way I understand it, the aux input is only for the iPod functions, and the cell phone functions are not used by the VAIStech box. In other words, the bluetooth functionality should not be affected, so the audio should still mute for incoming/outgoing cell phone calls.

That is also the way the iPhone works. If you are using the iPod function, but navigate to the phone functions and place a call, the music dims out and the phone call takes precedence. Once the phone call has been terminated, the music resumes from the point where it left off prevously.
Old 01-13-08, 07:30 AM
carcrazed4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HawaiiMac
Aloha JoeRX,

Do you have an update for the iPhone situation? The way it's supposed to work, at least for phone calls, as that the iPhone pairs with the RX and the audio mutes for the phone calls. That's the way my 2008 RX350 works - I don't have the VAIStech box installed yet, however. The way I understand it, the aux input is only for the iPod functions, and the cell phone functions are not used by the VAIStech box. In other words, the bluetooth functionality should not be affected, so the audio should still mute for incoming/outgoing cell phone calls.

That is also the way the iPhone works. If you are using the iPod function, but navigate to the phone functions and place a call, the music dims out and the phone call takes precedence. Once the phone call has been terminated, the music resumes from the point where it left off prevously.
I too am curious about the iPhone integration. I know the DICE unit doesn't work properly. I have an 04 RX300 and was considering an upgrade to an 08 RX400h Nav unit so I could get the iPod integration and Bluetooth. However, I've heard that doesn't work with the iPhone as well as the new style Nanos and iPods.

Any updates on the VAIS unit would be great!

Last edited by carcrazed4; 01-13-08 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-15-08, 04:14 PM
wupaul11
Driver School Candidate

Vaistech install, I am looking for a place to get it, Los Angeles
Old 01-15-08, 10:03 PM
wupaul11
Driver School Candidate

hey.. where did you get this adapter? and how much?
Old 02-11-08, 07:51 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Google Is Your Friend

www.coastaletech.com
Old 03-16-08, 06:33 PM
mlim
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I'm new to this forum so excuse me if this is the the right place. I just bought a CPO 2006 RX400h, and got the owner's manuals for Vaistech SLI and SLX. For the SLI, the ipod interface cable is nowhere to be found, and for the SLX, I do see an external magnetic XM antenna right by the OEM stubby antenna, but nothing else. Can someone clue me in on how can I confirm if the SLI is installed (where to look, should I go by location indicated in this thread with great photos and instruction?), and also if the SLX is still installed.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-08, 09:35 AM
b3player
Driver School Candidate

Default Installation was easy with your help! (04 RX 330)

Hi, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write up these instructions. I was at first going to get the local radio shop to do it, but I found this post! Thank God.

The only "tough" part for me was being careful not to lose the screws! I installed the SL2i yesterday and it works great. (04 RX330). I am impressed with the sound using this device! Thanks again! :thumbup
Old 08-16-08, 11:08 AM
ethridgedsb
9th Gear

Thumbs up Thanks For The Great Instructions

Lexuslover, I too would like to thank you for posting the great instructions for installing the SLI unit. I just installed the SL2i unit in my RX 330 and it was super easy thanks to your detailed post.

Thanks again from a fellow RX owner.

Last edited by ethridgedsb; 08-16-08 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-16-08, 12:35 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by b3player
Hi, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write up these instructions. I was at first going to get the local radio shop to do it, but I found this post! Thank God.

The only "tough" part for me was being careful not to lose the screws! I installed the SL2i yesterday and it works great. (04 RX330). I am impressed with the sound using this device! Thanks again! :thumbup
Originally Posted by ethridgedsb
Lexuslover, I too would like to thank you for posting the great instructions for installing the SLI unit. I just installed the SL2i unit in my RX 330 and it was super easy thanks to your detailed post.

Thanks again from a fellow RX owner.

You're welcome! Glad to help; enjoy your new SLI's!

Quick Reply: Vaistech SLI installation instructions w/ pics for 04-07 RX