RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Replacing a tire

Old 07-06-06, 02:33 PM
ldavey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a tire

All
One of the rear tires on my RX 330 awd needs to be replaced due to a flat/puncture. The local firestone store quoted me 320$ for replacing the goodyear 235/55/18 RSA tire.. Costco is offering the Michelin Energy p235/55R/18 (same tire dimensions) for $179.99.

Are there any issues with having 3 tires of 1 make and the 4th tire being another.. Besides the dimensions, are there other factors that i shud compare between the michelin and goodyear? I am pretty clueless when it comes to cars and tires!! Thanks in advance to your replies
Old 07-06-06, 04:15 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as I know as long as the dimensions and type of tire (season) are the same, there should be no problem. Aesthetically, I would try to keep the tire pattern as close as possible.

By the way, check Discount Tire if there is one near you. Get a quote from them and from Goodyear, you'll find they will compete for your business if you can find lower prices. I personally like Discount Tire since that is all they do is tires and wheels.
Old 07-06-06, 06:32 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the puncture in a spot where they can fix it (in the tread)? If it's in the sidewall, it can't be fixed.

Best fix is to remove the tire from the wheel and install a patch on the inside over where the hole was. You don't want them to just plug it from the outside.
Old 07-06-06, 06:42 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ldavey
All
One of the rear tires on my RX 330 awd needs to be replaced due to a flat/puncture. The local firestone store quoted me 320$ for replacing the goodyear 235/55/18 RSA tire.. Costco is offering the Michelin Energy p235/55R/18 (same tire dimensions) for $179.99.

Are there any issues with having 3 tires of 1 make and the 4th tire being another.. Besides the dimensions, are there other factors that i shud compare between the michelin and goodyear? I am pretty clueless when it comes to cars and tires!! Thanks in advance to your replies
Generally speaking, it should be ok to replace a different brand tire so long as the size is the same AND the tires have similar characteristics. You're in a tough spot and here's why. The Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 and Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires although are both "all-season tires" and are found in the same size, their similarities end there.

The Goodyear is a high performance all-season tire. The Michelin is a highway/touring (comfort) all-season tire. The Goodyear has/is: better dry grip, crisper steering response, reinforced sidewall (stiffer ride), squared-off shoulder, 40% lower treadwear (260 vs 440 due to stickier rubber), decent wet/snow traction, noisier.

Although I'm not a fan of the Eagle RS-As, I would bite the bullet and stick with it since the Michelin is too different in the ride/handling/traction dynamics (I've owned both tires on my RX... I prefer the softer, longer lasting, more quiet Michelins, but they're poor on snow/wet roads).

By the way, 320$ US is way too much for the RS-A. Tirerack.com sells them for about 170$US. A local retailer should not be selling them for more than 200$. Costco is usually cheap so ask them if they can get the Michelin Pilot HX MXv4 (209$ at tirerack) if you're really stuck, since it is much closer to the RS-A in its characteristics.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-06, 09:06 PM
ldavey
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions! Will check out the MichelinPilot HX MXv4 option & also the Discount Tire store did offer me a much better price on the good year (around 220$).
Old 07-07-06, 04:58 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

You didn't say how many miles you have on the Goodyears. They are only good for around 24-30k miles.

If they are low miles, I'd probably buy the Michelin or a Bridgestone Dueler Alenza and place it as the spare. You are now using the Goodyear spare I take it. When the other tires wear out you can then buy three matching tires and use the best of the Goodyears as the spare.

If they are nearly spent tires I'd buy 4 Bridfgestone Dueler Alenzas and use the best Goodyear as the spare.

The Alenzas are by far the better tire in every rating category and price. ($140)

Check prices and ratings at Tirerack,com.
Old 07-07-06, 06:17 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mixing and matching tires can be a bad idea, but given the way most people drive the RX I wouldn't worry about it. I probably would change two tires and have the same tires on the same axle though.

Problem with mixing and matching tires can arrise though. On my sports car, the handling balance is known to me and tire pressure changes as well as different tires do make a difference in the feel and handling of the car. You can literally dial in more oversteer or understeer by swapping tires and changing tire pressues. When I swap between my different rim sets with different tires I can feel a difference. All said though, I don't believe an SUV like the RX is that sensitive nor driven in a way for a single different tire to make much difference in everyday driving.
Old 07-07-06, 09:31 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

You have a full size spare, right? Use that until it's time to replace all 4 tires.
Old 07-07-06, 02:00 PM
Nostics_RX
Driver School Candidate

Does the spare tire has matching alloy wheels also or is it just a spare/temporary wheel??
Old 07-07-06, 02:35 PM
ldavey
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I have the full size spare from Goodyear which I am using now & have 12000 miles on the car.
Old 07-07-06, 05:39 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Mixing and matching tires can be a bad idea, but given the way most people drive the RX I wouldn't worry about it. I probably would change two tires and have the same tires on the same axle though.

Problem with mixing and matching tires can arrise though. On my sports car, the handling balance is known to me and tire pressure changes as well as different tires do make a difference in the feel and handling of the car. You can literally dial in more oversteer or understeer by swapping tires and changing tire pressues. When I swap between my different rim sets with different tires I can feel a difference. All said though, I don't believe an SUV like the RX is that sensitive nor driven in a way for a single different tire to make much difference in everyday driving.
I tottaly agree. During extreme condiitons/manuever the whole setup behaves abnormally.

Do as suggested by bringing the spare in use (even if you have to get it mounted on the right rim). The spare can be the odd ball as you would only use it in a pinch.

Salim
Old 07-10-06, 03:12 PM
ldavey
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tirerack.com suggestion - the Firestone guy agreed to match their price, so have now purchased the Goodyear eage RSA!

By the way, 320$ US is way too much for the RS-A. Tirerack.com sells them for about 170$US. A local retailer should not be selling them for more than 200$. Costco is usually cheap so ask them if they can get the Michelin Pilot HX MXv4 (209$ at tirerack) if you're really stuck, since it is much closer to the RS-A in its characteristics.

Good luck. [/QUOTE]
Old 07-10-06, 03:16 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, mixing tire brands, even of the same dimensions, on the same axle set is a dangerous idea! I wouldn't do it on a bet. I would replace both tires on that axle set or, if your spare is of the same type, use it. Bite the bullet and do the safe thing and buy two tires. If you really want to find out the truth, call an independent tire dealer like NTB and tell them up front you want info and are not buying a tire. I bet you a beer that his statements parallels mine.
Old 07-10-06, 06:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

[QUOTE=ldavey]Thanks for the tirerack.com suggestion - the Firestone guy agreed to match their price, so have now purchased the Goodyear eage RSA!