RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Differences between RX350 vs. RX330

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 01:12 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, from my experiences with cars, only mid-size SUVs do this. Most compact cars or sedans rarely have this problem. But yeah, I mostly assume this is due to aerodynamics in mid-size SUVs.
Old 06-06-06, 04:24 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2003LS430
Was that an option or did the sales person lie to me (surprise)?
Came standard on my Premium Plus '04. This is from an old sales blurb.

Safety features that come standard include dual frontal airbags, front-seat side-impact airbags (for torso protection), side curtain airbags (for head protection), plus a driver's knee bag. The side curtain airbags extend to help protect rear-seat passengers as well, and respond to a rollover sensor in addition to the usual decelerometer.
Old 06-06-06, 06:52 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I have the 2004 RX330 Brochure, and the following are standard: Driver's multistage and front passenger's dual-stage airbags (SRS - ie: Supplemental Restraing System); Front seat-mounted side airbags (SRS); Front and rear side curtain airbags (SRS); Driver's-knee airbag (SRS).

There are no airbag or other SRS items listed as options, so all '04 RXs have these bags.

The only difference in the '07 brochure for the RX350 is "Front and rear Roll-Sensing Curtain Airbags," so that says to me that maybe the side curtain airbags were modified in some respect. And again, no airbags of any kind are listed in the option list.

No dealer should be telling you that any airbag component is an option. As far as airbags go, all cars of the same year are equipped with the same systems.
Old 06-12-06, 01:36 PM
jkaram7
Rookie

Default another change?

I noticed at the dealer the back seat can fold down in three peices and not two so the two seats can be put down but the console backrest can be put down to accomodate long items.
Old 06-12-06, 02:11 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkaram7
I noticed at the dealer the back seat can fold down in three peices and not two so the two seats can be put down but the console backrest can be put down to accomodate long items.
That's definitely a good idea. An obvious idea, yes, but still a good one.

So it's a 40/20/40 split instead of a 60/40.
Old 06-12-06, 07:45 PM
tfischer

I don't understand the above two posts.

I have an '04 RX330 and the back seat folds forward in three separate sections.

There are three latches across the top of the back seats. However, if you fold forward the right side, it is hooked into the center section so that both the right and center fold forward together. But if you lift up the right side only, the center will stay down. The left seat latch works only the left seat back.

Thus, if you want to fold down only the center, you can reach to the center of the back seat and find the center latch, or you can work the right latch and fold forward the right seat back and the center seat back as one unit, then raise the right seat back which will leave the center section folded forward.

I have not seen a 350, but my guess is that it is pretty much the same, and that this is not a change at all between the 330 and the 350, as I do know that there is no "option" for a 330 regarding the configuration of the back seat.

Maybe you just need to examine how the back seat latches work in the 330.
Old 06-15-06, 02:53 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

The RX350 specifically requires premium fuel, 91 or higher.
Old 06-15-06, 07:47 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

The new gear ratio is nice. Cruising at 80mph at 2.1k rpm. It is also much quieter than my IS350...
Old 07-04-06, 09:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Unhappy Vent squeaks still with 07 RX350

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Sure hope they got rid of the dash noises(rattles).

If I don't read that they are back we just may go back to a RX 350 this fall. If they are still there its over to the Caddy Dealer.
When I got a 2007 RX350 as a loaner for two days, I immediately "went for the vents". That is, I presssed on them (driver's and passenger's) in such a way as to move them up/down/sideways a mm or two to force a "squeak" sound.

I was disappointed to hear the same metal-clip-on-plastic squeak as with my 2004 RX which occasionally squeaks/"pops" on a hard bump or more freqently when the outside temperature drops below 10C. However, I have only had the loaner during warm 25C+ temperature so hard to tell.

BUT... I can say this. I did notice the occasional minor squeak from the vent and the center dash over harsh bumps similar to my RX, which overall, strangely enough, pleased me because it made me realise my 3 year old RX with 115000km (and 18in lower profile tires) felt as solid and comfortable as a brand new 07 RX350 (with 17in higher profile tires). At least we can safely say the squeaks/body integrity/construction solidity actually remain intact with time and lots of mileage proving how robustly constructed and assembled the Lexus is.

Further adding to my experience with the 350... it is a touch more quiet overall but I think it's because my Michelins are bald and need to be replaced. In fact, I heard some whistling wind noise around the driver's window which I never heard on my 330. One major noticeable difference: more power with the 350. Definitely quicker launch/passing combined with a quicker responding and slightly smoother auto-tranny with slightly better fuel economy. However, I found the new 3.5 liter V6 engine in the 350 is actually (slightly) rougher and louder than the 3.3 V6 in the 04-06 330, mostly at lower RPM.

I like my Bamboo Pearl 330 with the Performance Package (Air Suspension, Xenon Headlamps, 18in wheels, etc.) despite the (minor) vent sqeaks. Apart from the more responsive engine, I don't see a reason to get the 07 350. I'll wait 2 more years or so for a completely redesigned model.

Hmmm, and you mentioned a Caddy? No offense, but the refinement/reliablilty in a Caddy (SRX or Escalade if you want an SUV), although improved with the Escalade in its latest iteration (thank God it doesn't have the previous Tahoe's cheap pickup-truck-like dash anymore), is not at the same level as with Lexus.

Hope my experience helps with your decision.
Old 07-05-06, 07:00 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanks

Thanks CarradoMR2, your comments were great.

This is the kind of info I was looking for.
The cold weather dash noise is most agravating. Such a letdown when we expected a "top end" SUV. Seems like the new RX requires Premuim Fuel too.

We will be driving a new ES 350 for a few days to see if my wife can live without her SUV or we're off to see a GM dealer.
Old 07-05-06, 08:18 AM
tfischer

If "minor vent squeaks" show the level to which owners have to sink to find something to complain about in the RX, then this is one fine car indeed.

My vents don't even squeak, as far as I know.

I got nothing to complaint about.
Old 07-05-06, 09:31 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Minor

If only that was all it was. Our '04 has major "squeeks" when it is below about 30 degrees.
I guess ours is for driving down south only.

Our Ford had dash squeeks but we didn't pay 40K for a Ford either.
Old 07-05-06, 10:20 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Thanks CarradoMR2, your comments were great.

This is the kind of info I was looking for.
The cold weather dash noise is most agravating. Such a letdown when we expected a "top end" SUV. Seems like the new RX requires Premuim Fuel too.

We will be driving a new ES 350 for a few days to see if my wife can live without her SUV or we're off to see a GM dealer.
Sure thing. It's too bad such a high quality product has to have such a minor issue, yet such a profound impact to the owner. I can only hope they redesign the entire assembly in the vents for the next gen RX.

I heard really good things about the new ES. The interior is super refined, especially in black. Let me know how the test drive goes. Make sure to go over bumps and listen in for you know what!

Thanks
Old 07-05-06, 10:37 AM
Canada350
Driver School Candidate

Smile Rear Screen

I just took delivery of my 07 RX350 last Thursday. The salesguy told me that one of the changes between the 330 and the 350 that hasn't been mentioned yet is the size of the rear DVD screen. Apparently the older model has a 7" screen whereas the 07 model has a 9" plasma widescreen. Not sure it that's true or not. Someone with a 330 will have to verify if that's just another sales myth.
Old 07-05-06, 10:40 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by tfischer
If "minor vent squeaks" show the level to which owners have to sink to find something to complain about in the RX, then this is one fine car indeed.

My vents don't even squeak, as far as I know.

I got nothing to complaint about.
You're right, it is nit-picking. I just wanted to highlight the squeak appears to be still there with the 07 RX. I love my 04 RX and am a proud owner. I just am not looking forward to sub-freezing weather and all the popping sounds that accompany our cold Canadian winter.

Quick Reply: Differences between RX350 vs. RX330