RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Question on rear cargo cover.

Old 01-11-06, 07:51 AM
Funneldown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on rear cargo cover.

Anyone have a problem with squeeking their rear cargo cover? At high speed over rocky road, it squeeks like crazy. Anyone know how to diffuse the problem?
Old 01-11-06, 10:24 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Funneldown
Anyone have a problem with squeeking their rear cargo cover? At high speed over rocky road, it squeeks like crazy. Anyone know how to diffuse the problem?
If the crossbar of your cargo cover (roller shade) is squeaking while acting as a strut brace, it can be stopped by placing a strip of cotton cloth in the clip that supports either end. That should help cushion the bracket and stop the noise. Another solution is to apply a tiny bit of pure lanolin (available from your pharmacist) to the points that are rubbing. Lanolin is a natural product that will not deteriorate leather or vinyl, is non-staining, and water-resistant. A small dollop should be a lifetime supply, and may also be used to lubricate balky zippers and snaps on anything from tents to clothing.

A few owners have had a problem with the rear hatch itself squeaking under these conditions. Two ideas here: first be sure that the rubber seals are engaging properly by closing the hatch on a dollar bill. You should be able to pull the dollar bill through the gasket with a good bit of resistance being felt. Try the same test in several places around the opening. Clean both the rubber and the seating surface carefully, and treat the rubber with a preservative like Armorall to be sure it remains soft and supple. That should relieve the squeak in the hatch seal.

Oh yeah, welcome to CL!!

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-11-06 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-11-06, 06:24 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had my squeaky cover fixed today at the dealer along with a few other things. It was particularly noisy when it is cold.
Old 01-11-06, 06:34 PM
Funneldown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found the problem...

So, turns out that it wasn't the rear cargo cover or the cabin, but the armrest in the back seat. Apparently the leather to leather contact caused the really loud and annoying squeek. When having the armrest down, the ride is so nice and quiet.

I must now figure out what to do so I can keep the armrest up and not have it squeek.

Thank you all for the advice and input. It took me a while to find a decent Lexus message board. I was an owner of a 02 Land Rover Freelander, but now am a proud owner of a 05 RX 330 Thundercloud Edition. Hope to be around this message for years to come...