RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How to remove Back part of front seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 08:11 PM
dizzle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove Back part of front seats?

I got some lcd headrest monitors and I'm trying to fish the cable from the poles down the back side of the seats? I can see the back part of the seats can be removed, but I'm a little scared to force them off without totally knowing how they come off. I'm thinking I have to pull out and push downward to get the back part of the seat off, but I wanted to ask here to make sure. Has anyone out there taken apart the front seats to put in headrest monitors? If you can post quick instructions, I'd really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get a response by Saturday when I plan to finish up the project. Thanks!
Old 12-08-05, 10:02 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is for an RX330 right? If so, than all you need to do is unhook the underflap from under the seat. There should be two elastic bands each attached to a hook under the seat. Once this underflap is pulled away, you will see two phillips head screws tha hold the back panel to the seat. Remove the two screws and pull the back panel down. That is it.

PS. When I installed my Apline touch screen monitors I wanted to run the cables within the headrest post. I ended up not doing that. There is enough room within the post for you to cut a slot and run the cable though, but it depends on how thick the monitor cables are. In the case of the Alpine there were about 30 very fine gauge wires in the cable due to the touch screen so I gave up. I just ran it down the outside of the headrest pole.

Chris

Last edited by CK6Speed; 12-08-05 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-09-05, 08:36 AM
dizzle
Rookie

yes, for the rx330. thanks for replying. do you have any pictures by chance of where the screws are? when you say underflap under the seat, you're referring to the back under side, right? just want to make sure. thanks!

i'd love to see pics of your screens if you don't mind posting them up.
Old 12-09-05, 11:49 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dizzle
yes, for the rx330. thanks for replying. do you have any pictures by chance of where the screws are? when you say underflap under the seat, you're referring to the back under side, right? just want to make sure. thanks!

i'd love to see pics of your screens if you don't mind posting them up.

The under flap thing is just a piece of vinyl that is attached to the back panel and folds under the bottom of the seat to hide all the motors and wires from direct view. Once you peak under there you will know exactly what I'm talking about. The screws will be readily visable after that. I don't have actual pictures of them though.
Old 12-10-05, 07:42 AM
hnbmoore
Driver School Candidate

Default Headrest Monitor Install

I recently bought the Audiovox Headrest w/ Built-in DVD

I hope this helps some, but there is some give on the back panel from the outside.

I have very large hands and was able to reach the cables as I first put them in the stem. I also used a coat hanger, wrapped of course, so I wouldnt accidently stratch the leather, to help pull the cable out so that I could route it down to the bottom of the seat. That was the easy part for me.

I'm waiting for my remote start to come in before I take it to the shop to get the rest of it professionally installed. It seemed simple enough but I have no idea where to connect the three power wires without "altering" anything (which I dont want to do). My idea was to splice into the wire under the power seats but I cant get a 12V reading using my multimeter.

I hope this was a little helpful.