RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

FWD RX400h production began...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 09:24 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default FWD RX400h production began...

Nov. 1st in Japan. Navigation will begin to be an option on future production of the 400h so owners can choose to get it or not. The FWD will cost $1500 less than the AWD. It will have slightly better fuel economy than the AWD. The models that are built with the Ivory leather will have birdseye maple wood available for the first time next year. It will option for $380.

Rock
Old 11-04-05, 09:29 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for the interesting update!

Will this be treated as an '07 model or as "mid-year" changes/additions to the '06 model year? Just curious...

The leather-only steering wheel and the aluminum are just about the only things I don't like much about the RX400h. I drove one a few months ago and loved it otherwise.

I wish they would add a little start/stop button... It almost makes more sense than the key in this case, given that starting it doesn't necessarily crank the engine.
Old 11-05-05, 04:24 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Transponders are now .....

expected. The FWD will still be an '06 and have very little changes from the current model. Because it only has the front motor/generator it is slower 0-60 than the AWD. The AWD version works in a FWD mode much of the time to save energy anyway. The FWD will have the same VDIM stability system as the AWD. It should benefit from a weight savings and less energy required with one motor/generator. Making Navigation an option reduces the cost further. I'm not sure about the leather steering wheel becoming wood yet though many folks will want the warmer look of the Birdseye Maple.
Old 11-05-05, 04:58 AM
jerryray
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did my own wood, still working on finding a deal on the steering wheel.

see here

http://www.icomrepair.com/picts/rxfront.jpg

Last edited by jerryray; 11-05-05 at 05:03 AM. Reason: add pict
Old 11-06-05, 09:10 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by Rockville
expected. The FWD will still be an '06 and have very little changes from the current model. Because it only has the front motor/generator it is slower 0-60 than the AWD. The AWD version works in a FWD mode much of the time to save energy anyway. The FWD will have the same VDIM stability system as the AWD. It should benefit from a weight savings and less energy required with one motor/generator. Making Navigation an option reduces the cost further. I'm not sure about the leather steering wheel becoming wood yet though many folks will want the warmer look of the Birdseye Maple.
Thanks, Rock. On a slightly related note, do you have any thoughts or ideas as to what will happen if/when the RX350 is introduced? It seems like the RX350 would have about 270hp (like the Avalon), which would reduce the advantages of the 400h to just fuel economy, emissions, and the overall "cool" factor.

Also, even though the 3.5 is obviously larger and more powerful, I'm thinking it might be just as fuel efficient (or maybe slightly better) as the current 3.3, since the 3.5 has direct injection. So, I wonder what Lexus has in mind to further differentiate the hybrid from the non-hybrid shall the RX350 come out next Spring as expected. Knowing that the RX350 is in the pipeline, I'm a bit hesitant to take the plunge into a 400h any time soon, though I would like to take advantage of December-to-Remember.

I'm curious to read your opinion on this. Thanks.
Old 11-06-05, 02:20 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Default 350 vs 400h

As far as differences there is also still a tax deduction for the hybrid for 2005 and most likely 2006. Another big difference for me is the 400h CVT, it is the most smooth transmission i have ever driven.
Old 11-06-05, 02:55 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by katzjamr
As far as differences there is also still a tax deduction for the hybrid for 2005 and most likely 2006. Another big difference for me is the 400h CVT, it is the most smooth transmission i have ever driven.
That is true. I had a 400h as a loaner a few months ago and I loved it, so I'm with you on that. I am aware of the $2k deduction currently (through 12/31/05), though I'm unaware of the details of the new tax law for 2006. Under the old law, the deduction was scheduled to drop to $500 for hybrids put into service in '06.

My point is that under the current scheme, the fuel and tax savings don't quite add up to the price premium, but at least you get a much more powerful vehicle that's better on the environment and does have the smooth torque response (thanks to the CVT and the electric motors, as you pointed out). If the baseline becomes a more powerful RX350, the choice might be harder to make, particularly if the price difference between the 350 and 400h is comparable to what the difference between a comparably-equipped 330 and a 400h is today.

Now, there's always a possibility that the 350 will climb up on price significantly (narrowing the hybrid "premium"), but I can't see a huge increase on the horizon until the body style changes again.

Anyway, my hope is that the 3.5 gets carried over to the 400h, perhaps making it the 450h. I've definitely seen similar speculation elsewhere and can only wonder what Lexus has in mind...
Old 11-07-05, 11:02 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Lexus Announces New RX 400h Hybrid Model

Lexus Announces New RX 400h Hybrid Model,
New Pricing on RX 400h Luxury Gas/Electric Hybrid SUVs

11/07/2005 Torrance CA

Lexus announced today the addition of a front-wheel drive (FWD) RX 400h in addition to the all-wheel drive (AWD) model which has been on sale since April of this year, making the hybrid gas/electric version of America's most popular luxury SUV, the RX 330, now available in both drivetrain configurations.

With a combined system output of 268 horsepower, the RX 400h FWD delivers zero-to-60 mph acceleration in 7.5 seconds, better than many V8-powered mid-size luxury SUV competitors, but with fuel efficiency more typical of a 4-cylinder compact sedan.

"Consumers in certain parts of the country, mostly in southern markets, told us they don't need the added handling benefits of all-wheel drive and would be more inclined to consider a front-drive hybrid-powered version of the RX," said Bob Carter, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "The new RX hybrids offer an even better value and we believe both models will be very well received by our customers."

Both the AWD and new FWD versions incorporate a new, advanced Lexus Hybrid System that combines the 3.3-liter V6 engine found in the Lexus RX 330 with a high-torque electric-drive motor-generator. Both models also come equipped with the industry's most advanced stability control system called Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM).

The EPA-estimated combined fuel economy rating for the front-drive RX 400h is 30 mpg. EPA-estimated highway fuel economy is 28 mpg, and at 33 mpg the city rating for the RX 400h exceeds most V8-equipped luxury SUVs by more than 100 percent. As with the AWD version, the RX 400h FWD carries the EPA's Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) certification.

The new RX 400h FWD will carry a base Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $44,660. Production began November 1 with vehicles scheduled to arrive at dealership in late December.

In response to consumer feedback on standard equipment levels of the RX 400h AWD, the Lexus DVD navigation system with rear back-up camera will now be offered as optional equipment. As a result, the base MSRP for the 2007 RX 400h AWD is now $46,060, a decrease of $2,350 or 4.9 percent beginning with November production.

Both AWD and FWD models include a standard list of luxury and performance features, including leather interior trim, power-tilt/telescoping steering wheel, roof rack with rails, illuminated entry system, a one-touch open/close moonroof, six-disc CD changer, HID headlamps with the Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), electrically powered air conditioning, 18-inch wheels and an eight-year/100,000-mile battery and hybrid system warranty.
Old 11-07-05, 12:20 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 0-60 acceleration for FWD is slower than the AWD model? Is it because it's missing the 2 rear motors? They didn't increase the output for the front wheels now that the rear motors are gone?

But certainly, I think removing the NAV/camera from the standard equipment is a welcomed changed. Not everyone needs it, and some people live in areas where NAV is next to useless. Same with FWD setup.

Good adjustments I think
Old 11-07-05, 12:24 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd much rather the AWD version. Thought this would be some exciting news... I'm sadly disappointed.
Old 11-07-05, 01:45 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caha14
Do you have any thoughts or ideas as to what will happen if/when the RX350 is introduced? It seems like the RX350 would have about 270hp (like the Avalon)...Also, even though the 3.5 is obviously larger and more powerful, I'm thinking it might be just as fuel efficient (or maybe slightly better) as the current 3.3, since the 3.5 has direct injection...
A clarification: The Avalon's 2GR-FE 3.5-liter, 268 hp V6 does NOT have direct injection. And, according to current rumor, that is the 3.5-liter V6 that the 2007 ES350 and RX350 will get. The 2GR-FSE, 3.5-liter, 306 hp V6 with direct injection is only for RWD platform Lexus models (the IS350 and future [for export, since it's already available in Japan] GS350).

Last edited by jruhi4; 11-07-05 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-07-05, 01:50 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Here's official confirmation from the Lexus Pressroom on the information Rockville posted atop this thread:

Lexus Announces New RX 400h Hybrid Model,
New Pricing on RX 400h Luxury Gas/Electric Hybrid SUVs

11/07/2005 Torrance CA
Lexus announced today the addition of a front-wheel drive (FWD) RX 400h in addition to the all-wheel drive (AWD) model which has been on sale since April of this year, making the hybrid gas/electric version of America's most popular luxury SUV, the RX 330, now available in both drivetrain configurations.

With a combined system output of 268 horsepower, the RX 400h FWD delivers zero-to-60 mph acceleration in 7.5 seconds, better than many V8-powered mid-size luxury SUV competitors, but with fuel efficiency more typical of a 4-cylinder compact sedan.

"Consumers in certain parts of the country, mostly in southern markets, told us they don't need the added handling benefits of all-wheel drive and would be more inclined to consider a front-drive hybrid-powered version of the RX," said Bob Carter, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "The new RX hybrids offer an even better value and we believe both models will be very well received by our customers."

Both the AWD and new FWD versions incorporate a new, advanced Lexus Hybrid System that combines the 3.3-liter V6 engine found in the Lexus RX 330 with a high-torque electric-drive motor-generator. Both models also come equipped with the industry's most advanced stability control system called Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM).

The EPA-estimated combined fuel economy rating for the front-drive RX 400h is 30 mpg. EPA-estimated highway fuel economy is 28 mpg, and at 33 mpg the city rating for the RX 400h exceeds most V8-equipped luxury SUVs by more than 100 percent. As with the AWD version, the RX 400h FWD carries the EPA's Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) certification.

The new RX 400h FWD will carry a base Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $44,660. Production began November 1 with vehicles scheduled to arrive at dealership in late December.

In response to consumer feedback on standard equipment levels of the RX 400h AWD, the Lexus DVD navigation system with rear back-up camera will now be offered as optional equipment. As a result, the base MSRP for the 2007 RX 400h AWD is now $46,060, a decrease of $2,350 or 4.9 percent beginning with November production.

Both AWD and FWD models include a standard list of luxury and performance features, including leather interior trim, power-tilt/telescoping steering wheel, roof rack with rails, illuminated entry system, a one-touch open/close moonroof, six-disc CD changer, HID headlamps with the Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), electrically powered air conditioning, 18-inch wheels and an eight-year/100,000-mile battery and hybrid system warranty.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases...T2005110789852
Old 11-07-05, 02:14 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by jruhi4
A clarification: The Avalon's 2GR-FE 3.5-liter, 268 hp V6 does NOT have direct injection. And, according to current rumor, that is the 3.5-liter V6 that the 2007 ES350 and RX350 will get. The 2GR-FSE, 3.5-liter, 306 hp V6 with direct injection is only for RWD platform Lexus models (the IS350 and future [for export, since it's already available in Japan] GS350).
Thanks for the clarification, jruhi4. I was reading up on this earlier and realized I was mistaken about direct injection on the Avalon.

I still wonder what Lexus has in mind for the hybrid - if anything - once the RX350 hits showrooms. At the current price points, I would expect the 350 to cannibalize some hybrid sales in the case of buyers who just want the extra power and don't particularly care about the sophistication of the hybrid system.
Old 11-07-05, 04:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

well, i think answer is in the PR above... Price of the RX400h has been reduced dramatically by FWD and non-nav versions. Difference between RX330 and similar RX400h is now around 4k, and I am sure that RX350 will go up in price at least slightly, so it will be even less.

And while RX350 will be a lot faster than before, it will still get worse mpg and be slower than RX400h.
Old 11-07-05, 05:49 PM
caha14
Racer

Yes, but just because one can now buy a less-equipped 400h doesn't mean that the price gap is lower. Yes, a hybrid can now be had for less money if you opt-out of AWD and/or navigation, but the apple-to-apple comparison between comparably equipped 330's and 400h's is still the same despite the "repackaging" of the 400h.

I agree with you about the fuel economy on the 350, though I'm not sure how much worse it will be relative to the 330. The thing I have a hard time imagining is the 350 being slower than the h. Overall horsepower is expected to be comparable, and the 350 will probably be a few hundred pounds lighter. However, the beauty of the hybrid is that the electric motors can provide peak torque on demand, and the CVT helps keep the gas engine in its sweet spot, so you might be right and perhaps the 400h will still accelerate faster.

I'm just eager to see how this whole thing will play out. If I can help it, I'd like to avoid buying a new car just before a significant powertrain change happens, kind of like what happened to '03 ES300 and '01 Acura TL (literally 3 months before the refresh and introduction of Type-S) owners, to mention a few. But I have to admit that my wife wants a 400h, and well, I wouldn't mind getting her one...